CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Movie Review: The Last Exorcism (2010)


    I watched this last week and I am still trying to figure out exactly how I feel about it. This is one of those films that you will either really love or really hate, no in between is possible with this. I am actually for the former. The moment this was over, I definitely felt the frustration coming off the audience, but I don't think an ending should ruin an entire film (with the exception of The Mist, if you have seen it you are probably still pissed about it, if not, stick with the book. Unless you are just skimming this, reading is most likely not your first option, so you are screwed either way)
     The characters I thought were amazing. The lead, Cotton Marcus (played by Patrick Fabian), was a priest and yet not a priest. He is quite the fraud who doesn't believe in his practices especially in demons. But he knows how to make money off the "gullible". His own wife says he is more of a performer than an actually preacher. You can actually see that when we are shown snips of his services. There is one part in the beginning on how he talks about putting together some kind of dessert and you will see how people will "eat it up" (so to speak) and not realize the bullshit that is coming out of his mouth. Sadly enough, they did. So one day he gets a call to perform an exorcism on a teenage girl. The father, Louis Sweetzer (Louis Herthum) is scared beyond reason and her brother, Caleb (Caleb Landry Jones, what the hell is with these names), thinks the priest is a fraud (kid definitely is the fastest bullshit reader in history, give this kid an award). The girl, Nell (Ashley Bell ), was so innocent and you can tell she has not been out of her family's site. Bell did such an amazing job capturing both sides. I thought she was very compelling.
     Nonetheless, I thought this was a great movie. Even though you can't really say much for the ending because in my opinion, there was none. This movie is inconclusive. A film with no ending is a challenge to figure out whether you hate it or not. I was very much into the story, a few minutes before the film ended, I wanted to scream "Holy Shit". Then again, I should have expected this since Eli Roth's name is involved. I am a fan of his (with the exception of Hostel 2, uh hell no) and his movies usually are like this. Could they have at least made it more like Cabin Fever, at least that had an ending.
    This movie kept me wanting more, literally, and that is something compared to most horror films that come out nowadays. All the characters had a lot of depth that you don't usually see in a lot of horror flicks as well. I know it seems I am dogging horror films and guess what? I am. It is just a lot of them are sort of cut and pasted from the some sort of recycled train wreck. This one, I thought, was different and intriguing. It didn't follow the usual format and it wasn't chalk full of those big shock moments that most horror movies have. Hey, they don't scare people, it just annoys them! When directors figure that out, horror films will be in a better place.
    Overall, at least watch this movie once to get a feel for it. I can't guarantee you will love it like myself, but you will appreciate what you are watching. But then again, you aren't me, so I warn you, beware if you want a cookie cutter film. This is not the movie for you.

Rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D