CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, January 21, 2011

Movie Review: The Green Hornet (2011)


Source: IMDB

Playboy Britt Reid (Seth Rogen) becomes the new publisher of Los Angeles' "The Daily Sentinel" after the sudden death of his father. Britt's party life is about to change when he and his driver and kung fu expert, Kato (Jay Chou), stop a robbery. With the help of Kato, Britt starts a new career of fighting crime as the masked superhero "The Green Hornet".

     Finally got the chance to watch this today. I watched this movie because I love comic book movies and I love Seth Rogen. The mixture was as fun as I wanted it to be. Yet, I won't lie, something was missing for me. A developed storyline.
     This movie starts (well not start starts with this, I'll get to that in a sec) with little Britt having his world torn apart by his mean, old dad played by Tom Wilkinson. It is obvious his dad knows how to be a businessman, but doesn't have the slightest idea how to be a father. Britt grows up to be a spoiled, partying leech. His dad is still there tearing him a new one, but ends up dying by a "bee sting". Even after his dad's death, Britt holds resentment towards his dad.
     So one morning Britt wakes up and his coffee tastes like shit, so he bitches about it. Through this bitching, he meets Kato. A man, about the same age as Britt, who worked for Britt's dad that he never bothered to get to know until now. Their friendship is one of the most random things ever. But it is awesome. Kato is a genius who can pretty much make anything and the stuff he makes are things I know people are going to maybe reinvent because of this movie. Nonetheless, they both get a little drunk and decide to vandalize bid daddy-O's statue. While committing crime, they stumble upon a crime and this is where a bunch of hackneyed, half witted thoughts ensue.
     They want to pretend they are bad guys to take down the actual bad guy who is Chudnofsky played by the incredible Christoph Waltz. He was the real beginning to the film (see I told you I would get to it). Chudnofsky is tired of being looked over as an old man who is not worth a second glance. He wants to be seen as he really is. A crazy, scary, homicidal manic and proves that to be the case after an encounter with "big boss" Danny Clear played by James Franco (really nice cameo by the way). Now if you have seem Inglorious Bastards (LOVE!), you know Christoph Waltz won that Oscar for a reason. The man is incredible. Quite frankly, this film is no exception. He still crept me out because he was so unpredictable. A villain going through a midlife crisis was a nice touch for him as well. He said some of the weirdest things as his "line". I can't tell you because I don't remember it, it was so long. All I remember is "You will see blood before you die" and changed his name to Bloodnofsky. Crazy stuff fitting for a crazy man. Nonetheless, he was a nice touch to this film and I wish he had a bigger part. Waltz is a very entertaining man even though he is the villain...again.
     So anyway, these guys go with this out of the blue idea aka Britt's brain. They have not the slightest idea what they are doing. Well Britt doesn't. This is where my first bit of confusion starts. Like I said, the friendship is really random, but it was fun. But what was even more random is how Kato starts working for Britt's dad. He says his dad was just impressed by him and let him work for him. But why exactly? They don't go far enough into Kato's story and I really wished they did. The guy knows martial arts, but even I know martial arts doesn't make you move so fast you can't be seen on camera! There was a lot more to Kato then him being a genius and I wished they elaborated on that a little more because he was one hell of a character.
     Another issue I had is with Lenore Case (Cameron Diaz). I am not entirely sure she was needed in the movie. She did tell them what they needed to know about crime since they were clueless, but that is it. Case said she is a temporary secretary for the company until they can find a new one. But they don't say what happened to the other one. A simple little sentence would have suffice, "So and so died of a heartache after James Reid's death". I mean something.
    Another issue I had was with the plot. When we find out exactly who is behind everything and how Britt's father is involved, it doesn't actually make sense. Why exactly did his father go through with it? He had the option of stopping it, but he didn't. What exactly did he hold over his head? We don't really know, unless I missed something.
    Overall, this is a fun movie to watch. The 3D was fun and the characters were fun. But a little oomph was needed for me. I like films to be well rounded and this movie just had too many edges. We do have Rogen, Chou and, of course, Waltz. Let's not forget the man, the legend, the Admiral himself, Edward James Olmos. I would have liked for him to have a little bigger part in this. Doesn't matter his age, this man kicks ass. Seriously, why didn't he have a gun? This film won't be a waste. You will laugh and you will not be bored, so that is definitely something.


My Rating:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D