CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, January 17, 2011

True Grit (2010)

Source: IMDB
Following the murder of her father by hired hand Tom Chaney, 14-year-old farm girl Mattie Ross sets out to capture the killer. To aid her, she hires the toughest U.S. marshal she can find, a man with "true grit," Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn. Mattie insists on accompanying Cogburn, whose drinking, sloth, and generally reprobate character do not augment her faith in him. Against his wishes, she joins him in his trek into the Indian Nations in search of Chaney. They are joined by Texas Ranger LaBoeuf, who wants Chaney for his own purposes. The unlikely trio find danger and surprises on the journey, and each has his or her "grit" tested.

     I finally got around to watching this. I hate it when life throws its curve ball and holds me back from my beloved movie watching. But nonetheless, I am happy I didn't miss out on an Coen Brothers film because that is catastrophic in my opinion. For those that have not seen a Coen Brothers film, ummm, what the hell is wrong with you and what the hell are you waiting for? There is a reason this film has been keeping the number 1 spot in the box office nice and warm for the past three weeks. It was (re)made by the Coen Brothers which in turn makes it awesome.
   This film follows a young fourteen year old woman. Yes, I said woman. Mattie Ross (played by Hailee Steinfeld) was my favorite character in this movie. Yes even over the greatness of Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. Mattie was a young girl who was stubborn and strong. Seriously, this chick scared most of the men in this movie. Mattie was quick as whip and as sharp as a needle. If I have a daughter and she was like her, I know I wouldn't have to worry. Anyway, Mattie goes out on her own to avenge her father who was shot dead by a supposed slow witted criminal named Tom Chaney (played by Josh Brolin, who is no stranger to a Coen Brothers film. No Country For Old Men is one of my favorite movies in the world). But, of course, Ross can't hunt him alone. She needed firepower, she needed someone who can bring Cheney to his knees. This is where Reuben "Rooster" Cogburn comes in (played by Jeff Bridges).
   Cogburn wants nothing to do with Mattie. He thinks she is a little girl way out of her league and wants her to go home. As well as LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) who is a Texas ranger who wants to take down Chaney in the state of Texas. Both men write off Mattie, try to cheat her out of the hunt, but Mattie being the girl she is, was not going down. She fights her way to finding them and they end up as an unlikely and very entertaining trio.
   Cogburn is a happy triggering drunk. Seriously, when we first meet Cogburn, he was on trial because the courts were trying to figure if he could have avoided shooting suspects. Apparently it was the first time. Labouef was a Texas ranger who thought he was the shit. As you can imagine, Cogburn and Laboeuf were definitely not the best of friends. Too much testosterone between the two and Mattie was stuck in the middle.  But when it was all said and done, they actually worked well together, in a messed up little way. One of my favorite scenes in this movie was when they were close to shooting Chaney and he accidentally shot Labouef. Labouef really thinks that Bridges is losing his sight or he did it on purpose. So they went out to test his shot. Man I love watching men argue, it is so entertaining.
   I will not spoil what happens and unfortunately, I have not seen the original, but apparently this was one hell of a remake. There is a reason this film was number 1 for three weeks in a row. It doesn't matter if you are into Westerns or not. It doesn't matter if you aren't a Coen Brothers fan (if you aren't, we will have a long talk). This is a film worth watching. The characters are a lot of fun and like I said, Mattie is a firecracker of a character. Truly incredible. They were well developed, the storyline is amazing and intriguing. This film is also full of little surprises that will make you very happy.

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D