CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

127 Hours (2010)

Source: IMDB

127 Hours is the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah. Over the next five days Ralston examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage and the wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary, scale a 65 foot wall and hike over eight miles before he is finally rescued. Throughout his journey, Ralston recalls friends, lovers, family, and the two hikers he met before his accident. Will they be the last two people he ever had the chance to meet?

     Finally watched this today! This film took forever to get to our theater and I took even longer to watch it. Well you know what? It was like a marinate, the longer you wait, the better it will be. And guess what, that was so true with this movie.
     This film goes right into it. We start off by seeing Aron Ralston (played by James Franco) pack all his equipment for his hiking trip to the desert. He is ignoring calls left and right from friends and family, won't talk to anyone. So he leaves early morning to start biking and walking around through nature (uh...no. Love looking at nature, but don't want to explore especially after seeing this).
      While hiking, Aron runs into two pretty girls Megan and Kristi (Amber Tamblyn and Kate Mara) and they are having fun playing in this beautiful underwater cave. There was chemistry between them all and they were definitely having lots of fun. But that is not where this story really begins.
       After making potential plans on meeting up with the girls at a party the next day, Aron goes hiking a little further. He then ends up at a canyon with a big drop and a big boulder. He tests the boulder, but he was wrong. The boulder gives he falls and while his arms are flailing in the air, one of his arms gets jammed in between the wall of the cave and the boulder. It was kind of gross, but not too bad to look at. While Aron is stuck here, he is running low on water which he manages to spare over a few days. He starts going delusional because of the lack of water and food. He has the dreams and fantasies about escaping and drinking.
       But among those delusions, the ones that really are the turning point for him are the ones of his friends and family. Aron starts from when he was younger to now, seeing how selfish he was. That if he just said where he was going and what he was doing, he wouldn't be in the situation he is in now. Aron realizes it is all his fault for being so inconsiderate and he pays one hell of a price for it.
       I truly loved this movie because it was more than a survival film. It was more than a film about a man who needs to escape such a tragic situation. It was up to Aron to decide whether he was going to die selfish or go on and live for others and not just himself. James Franco did such an amazing job in this movie. It really isn't a surprise he has an Oscar nomination for his role in this. This guy is truly an amazing actor. He manages to act, but still seems like himself which is quite a trick in the acting world. I mean, who would have thought the hot and lazy bum Daniel from Freaks and Geeks would become an Oscar nominee. Hell, Franco has even received a Golden Globe nomination for "playing" a pothead. A POTHEAD! (I am sure you saw the quotation marks, just a reminder that he has admitted to liking the stuff.) But maybe that is why he was so successful in Pineapple Express, he knows exactly what it is like. Either way, we have seen plenty of pothead films and only Franco has the talent to play a pothead and get a nomination for it. That is how good this guy is!
       Let's not forget Danny Boyle, one of my favorite directors in the world for this movie. This man does not simply make films, he starts revolutions. He reinvented zombie films in my opinion with 28 Days Later (giving zombies the ability to run is probably the most terrible thing ever. I like my zombies nice and slow, now our chances have been cut in half). Boyle did such a great job truly capturing the feeling of complete isolation in this film. Freaked me out whenever he would show the canyon compared to the rest of the desert. It was so vast and barren, I got a little agoraphobic (fear of wide open spaces). He really showed exactly the sorts of things I'd expect someone to go through when trapped for five days with barely any food or water. Some films don't get it right.
       Overall, this is a film I watched once and will definitely watch again. I urge you all to catch it as well. It is simple, yet brilliant. Nice to see a movie that doesn't need so much CG and explosions and etc. to capture an audience (I like CG mind you, just saying, we don't need it in everything. This was a breath of fresh air if you will).


My rating:

2 comments:

  1. FABULOUS REVIEW! I have been wondering about this movie...I thought it would be very boring. Guy in desert, oh wait...nope...yep, still in the desert. But after reading this review and seeing your 5 star rating I'm going to check it out!

    (**Side note** this is funny because I was just thinking about starting up movie reviews on my site too! This will be fantastic to have you're reviews to read for suggestions and I watch tons of movies so I'll have plenty to suggest too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much hon. LOL! That was my first thought of this and then I saw that Danny Boyle directed it and that man never disappoints me. If anyone can make this amazing, it is him and he did. I hope you check it out and like it as much as I do. It is simply fantastic.

    Oh that is awesome. I would love to read some movie reviews by you. I watch tons of films to, but sometimes don't get the chance to review them all. So far I haven't been too bad. But I am working on it. Nonetheless, I hope you start doing them, it will be fun to compare and discuss :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D