CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

July Releases

Monday, February 28, 2011

ARC Review: L. A. Weatherly - Angel Burn (aka Angel) (Angel Trilogy #1)





Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from - But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous - and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy


    Ok, let me start of by saying, this was a nice debut. I like L. A. Weatherly's style. The book was well paced, well to a point. This is my very first ARC, thanks to NetGalley. I got the one named Angel Burn, but just recently found out that it is also called Angel. I won't lie, I got it because Angel Burn sounds cool. Would make a cool band name, what do you think? I read the summary and it sounded interesting. This book was good. With that being said, I had a few issues with this book that I can't look past. 
   Angel Burn starts off with our main hero, Alex, a hot 17-going-on-18 year old Angel Killer, on a hunt. We quickly find out that angels are not what they are cracked up to be. They are out to feed on humanity and they end up becoming "angel burned". It is what happens when an angel feeds on you. Your brain and soul have pretty much dwindled down to nothing and all you know are the "great, bright, and shiny" angels. I like this premise, it was quite unique. Then we are introduced to Willow, our heroine. She is this 16-going-on-17 high schooler who is treated like a freak at school. See, Willow is a psychic. She can see your past and future and she is quickly thrown into fire after she gives her "friend" Beth a reading. Willow sees Beth's angel and notices something is wrong. Beth wants to join the angel at the church, the "Church of Angels" and Willow sees this will slowly destroy Beth. 
    We are also introduced Raziel, the leader of "Church of Angels" and our villain. Beth soon blabs on Willow to her angel and soon, Raziel wants Willow destroyed because she is a danger to them. This is how Alex first meets Willow, by stalking her because he is suppose to kill her. He soon finds out that she is not one of his regular enemies. This is the reason is he has to help save her, so he can get to the bottom as to why she was important.
     They embark on an across country road trip. They have been hopping from one hotel to the other. Being chased by various angels trying to destroy. After their hatred of each other, they quickly fall in love. This is where my biggest issue comes in. This book becomes so lovey-dovey, it got a little on my nerves. It is most likely me because I am not much for mushy. But because it does become mushy, the plot just sort of slows down. They are kissing and talking about how amazing and beautiful they are, it was just too much of that for me.
      The writing was weird for me a little bit as well. Some grammar issues in the book. For instance, "all I could I think of was getting to Denver in time". Huh? Then there was the was the book switches views throughout, which made it a tad bit confusing. The book switches from first person to third person viewpoints. One minute we are reading the characters thoughts as they think them and they are telling us what they are doing. Next minute, it switches to a narrator who telling us what they are doing. It bounces back and forth between we and they. English was my favorite subject in school and I have had teachers ride me over doing this on some of my papers, so I know it when I see it.
      Also I would have liked to have seen them as adults. Alex and Willow have had their fair share of crap handed to them, especially Alex. Throughout the book Alex is called a legend. The best Angel Killer ever. I just had a hard time imagining him as a teenager. Legend and teenager just don't fit in the same sentence to me, well I guess I sort of did that there, but you get my point. It just would have made more sense to me if they were, both for the love story and just the characters overall.
      The story was a bit predictable. I won't give anything away, but trust me, you will put pieces together quickly. When we get to the end and take on our villain, it just felt a little anticlimactic. I do like the help that comes along in the book by certain characters (can't say who because it would be a spoiler), but I would have liked to get more story from them or for them to stick around. Again, might be just me, but when it comes to the ending of a book, I expect a big bang. This was more like 10 cherry bombs going off at the same time, just not big enough.
       But even with those issues, I can say I am interested to see where this story goes. It was good, but not great. The story was compelling for me. How it ended, I pray the next book will be as epic as I wanted this to be. I enjoyed the plot and I honestly believe there is definitely something here. If I didn't, I wouldn't continue the series (suppose to be a trilogy I believe). Also I won't forget that this is Weatherly's first book. I know debuts are a kicker, so I understand. All I want is a little less googly eyes and more fight. I don't mind romance, but jeez. It felt like most of the book was about them staring at each other. I get it, you both are hot, now just go and kick some more bright angel ass! This book is clearly more for fans of Twilight, which I am not, but I do prefer this. So if you do like Twilight, this would be a definite winner for you.


Rating:

*This book belongs to the following challenge:
    


2 comments:

  1. Hey am a new follower! :)
    Oh I have this on my tbr pile from netgalley, I really need to make time to read it. It looks good.


    Have a great weekend

    Tyraa
    www.tyrasbookaddiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hon, thanks so much for following. I am following you as well, love the blog. I hope you enjoy this book more than me LOL! Hope you have a great weekend too hon.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D