CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Book Review: The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4) by Gena Showalter

Bound by the demon of Doubt, Sabin unintentionally destroys even the most confident of lovers. So the immortal warrior spends his time on the battlefield instead of the bedroom, victory his only concern - until he meets Gwendolyn the Timid. One taste of the beautiful redhead, and he craves more.

Gwen, an immortal herself, always thought she'd fall for a kind human who wouldn't rouse her darker side. But when Sabin frees her from prison, battling their enemies for the claim to Pandora's box turns out to be nothing compared to the battle Sabin and Gwen will wage against love.


     I finished this a few days ago and at first, I was going to give it 3 stars because there was a little too much "Does he like me or doesn't he?" and vice-versa. But the last 40-50 pages really picked this book up for me. I really enjoyed it and have been waiting to read Sabin's book because out of all the demons, he came off the coldest and meanest. So I was very curious to see how he would actually interact with a woman. 
     I just started Gena Showalter and I became a fan very quickly. When I started J. R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood (YUMMY!), this series was a high recommendation if I enjoyed the BDB. I am very happy I picked this up. Really great series, so far.
     The book starts off with the demons still searching for the artifacts that their loves depend on. They end up on the other side of the world near a cave that is full of Hunters. The Lords don't know what they are hiding in the cave, but they know they are hiding something. So after some eavesdropping, the Lords didn't find artifacts, but found something grotesque. They found out that the Hunters were raping and impregnating women of different species to create superhuman children. There were vampires, sirens, and more. Out of all the women they had trapped, the only one they did not touch was Gwen the Timid. Gwen is a harpy who, quite frankly, was afraid of her own shadow. But ironically, when pissed, she can kill in the blink of an eye. So the Hunters were scared shitless of her, but kept her locked up for a year. A little confusion here for me I must say. They obviously knew what she was when they kidnapped her, so it is safe to assume they knew what she was capable of, so why kidnap her in the first place? 
     Nonetheless, upon entering the cave of  the hypocritical bastards known as Hunters, Sabin lays eyes on Gwen and, of course, he is in awe. Gwen and Sabin both take an instant liking to each other. But with Sabin being possessed by Doubt, he questions everything he does and everything she does. Gwen herself seemed to be possessed by the same demon sometimes because she second guessed herself as well throughout. 
     Gwen and Sabin go through plenty of push and pull. I like that Sabin treated Gwen as his equal, something I thought he would die before he ever let happen. There was so much between them and it was nice he wasn't scared of her harpy. Like I said, Sabin was the biggest douche before this series and we get to know why. His demon is a bastard and it screws with everyone know matter who. Due to Sabin's demon, the last woman he was with couldn't take life anymore. Yeah. So Sabin being who he is is understandable. Gwen has her own insecurities to worry about though. Her sisters might kill her for being caught so easily and might kill the Lords (well try) if they hurt her. Gwen needs to learn how to fight and not be so afraid of her harpy.
      While all this is going on, Sabin is battling whether he should leave Gwen behind to go to Chicago with his fellow friends. The Lords found out that the Hunters have built a special school for their special children and want to take down the school and save the kids. He stays behind for Gwen, but nonetheless, the Lords get caught and trapped and it would take more than Sabin to save them.
       What I loved about this book were the secondary characters. I loved Sabin and Gwen, but we finally get more insight with the other Lords. We find that Torin (keeper of Disease, his story I can't wait to read) and Cameo (keeper of Misery) have a "relationship" going on. We find that Aeron's (keeper of Wrath) adopted daughter Legion (the little green demon who springs from nowhere) finds out that Aeron's stalker is an angel. An angel in love with a demon, classic! We find out more about Gideon (keeper of Lies) and a little bit of his story. I am looking forward to his. I hear his story is one of the best of the series. But best, well worst of all, we see more of Paris (keeper of Promiscuity) and his anguish over not having Sienna back. I can't wait to see what happens in his story either. Given that we know Cronus is a jerk, we know something epic will have to take place for Paris to get her back.
        Overall, this was another great book in one hell of a series. Like I said, I would have given 3 stars because of all the talk and questions between Gwen and Sabin, but the ending boosted it up for me. I get the action I crave. We get one hell of a twist in the story with Gwen here and believe me, it is a big one. I wasn't 100% happy with what Sabin allows Gwen to do in the end. I understand why he did it, but still, come on! So when reading this, I say the main focus is the back story, not necessarily the main story. The back story really gets the ball moving in this book and man was it good.


My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I am getting ready to start the BDB series because so many people have talked about them and how fantastic they are! If I like them as much as I think/know I will then I'll have to check this series out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much hon :) It is true. If you love the BDB (I am sure you will), then you will love these guys. They are so amazing. Showalter does an amazing job :) Thanks again hon.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D