CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Movie Review - Battle: Los Angeles (2011)

A Marine platoon faces off against an alien invasion in Los Angeles

   
     WARNING! If you are expecting a big almost District 9 or Independence Day type film, you are not going to find it here. As a matter of fact, calling this a sci-fi film would be a little insulting to me or any other self-respecting sci-fi nerd. Overall, if you want to spend money on a videogame, this would be the cheapest one yet.
     
      This film gets you right into it. We find out that there are meteors hitting L.A., but come to find out, they are spaceships. Aliens have evaded Los Angeles, not Earth, just Los Angeles. Then a group of marines are sent out to defend the city. That is basically the whole setting of this movie. We have little microscopic stories of certain soldiers. One is getting married, our lead Sgt. Michael Nantz (Aaron Eckhart) is not liked by other marines because he was in a previous battle where all his fellow members died, but he survived. So no one doesn't like him or feel safe around him.
     
       The only good thing about this movie was Aaron Eckhart and the special effects. Eckhart delivered what was given to him. It really showed his talent on at least trying to give the dialogue some life. But don't watch this expecting a storyline because you won't get it.

       The special effects were definitely the only highlight for this movie. The aliens, even though we only see them about 5 minutes, look amazing. I mean District 9 amazing. I also enjoyed the look of the movie. It was Black Hawk Down meets Cloverfield. We get all the action and that sort of real time camera feed with the movie.Which is both a bad and good thing about this movie. This film definitely has a budget, a big budget.  But they went into this with the full intention of showing off exactly how much money they spent on the effects over the ridiculous, cliched dialogue and the none existent plot. This is basically this year's Transformers 2, nothing but guns and explosions.

        There is really nothing more I can say about this movie because there is nothing else. This was a search, shoot and rescue mission kind of movie. There was not much in between. This is the sort of movie you watch once and only in a movie theater. If anything, the effects are worth the money. The spaceships looked amazing and we have one interaction with an alien-like egg thing, that almost reminded me of those eggs from Alien, which looked just as gross. Overall, this movie was ok. I wish they actually went further with this and did something with the dialogue, seriously, it killed me listening to it.


Rating:


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect movie for a matinée. The trailers did make me think of District 9, but now that my expectations have been lowered I should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you there. The trailer made this movie looked great, which it did. But that was the problem, they focused so much on the look, they didn't worry about much else. Matinee is best. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 2 stars...that tells me a lot. Your review told me even more without even using many words! LOL. I was very iffy about this movie when I saw the trailers, I couldn't decide if I wanted to watch it or not and now I know I will go ahead and save my 8 dollars and use it toward a different movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was iffy about it to and I had reason for it. I hate spending money on movies that do things halfway :( So save the $8, it is for the best

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D