CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, March 21, 2011

Movie Review: I Am Number Four (2011)


Extraordinary teen John Smith (Pettyfer) is a fugitive on the run from ruthless enemies sent to destroy him. Changing his identity, moving from town to town with his guardian Henri (Olyphant), John is always the new kid with no ties to his past. In the small Ohio town he now calls home, John encounters unexpected, life-changing events-his first love (Agron), powerful new abilities and a connection to the others who share his incredible destiny. 


     Finally checked this movie out. It has taken a while to get to this because I don't know what to put. I was on the fence about it considering Michael Bay's name is connected to it and my gut was right. Another movie with a great trailer, but as a whole, was a little more like Jumper. Yeah, I know.
    
     I Am Number Four is a book-based movie, a book I am yet to read, but I pray is better than this. It follows a young (and hot) teenage boy named John Smith (played by Alex Pettyfer) who seems like your everyday teenage boy. He is hitting puberty and wants to discover the world and all. All of a sudden he realizes him hitting puberty sucks more for him than other regular kids. His powers are coming into affect. When they do, he gets caught by the greatness of technology, which means he needs to work extra hard to keep a low profile. He soon gets attached to a girl named Sarah (Dianna Argon) and needs to make a decision whether to stay with her because with him, she is in danger.

   I can't say I hated this because this movie had some high points that I enjoyed. I didn't have any clue that Timothy Olyphant was in this and thank God he was, he made it better for me. But one person that impressed me the most in this movie was the kid named Sam (Callan McAuliffe). If it were up to me John Smith and Sam would have changed the places. I was more intrigued with Sam's story. That and I thought Sam had more life to him. John was hot (boy was he hot) and that was why he was main character, but he needed more personality, more oomph if you will. That was one of the issues I had and what made me think about Jumper. I was more interested in the sidekick than the main character.

   Another thing I didn't like were the villains. They are aliens, but they acted more like teenage thugs. That and they were sort of comical. It was weird as hell. I honestly couldn't take them seriously. They were creepy when we first see them and then they started talking. My point is, for villains, they just didn't do it for me. There was one point they freaked me out when they tortured someone, but that was it.

   It was obvious they were aiming towards the Twilight crowd, but still trying to include boys in the mixture. Still it seems more girls will check this out. At least this was as lovey-dovey as Twilight and no one didn't annoy me too much. Nonetheless, this just wasn't my favorite. I wanted better acting and didn't really get it. Everyone just felt dull to me. I know Deanna isn't going to like this (sorry hon), but this was another ok film. I know some will like this, but for me, the secondary characters were better than the leads. This movie would have been better if they focused on them more.


Rating:
It was okay

4 comments:

  1. *Sniff, Sniff* Wow...you really didn't like the movie much. I do agree on the villains being more commical than scary but I kinda liked that uniqueness to the movie. LOL. I enjoyed Alex in this movie but I did like Callan a lot too...he was so much fun! This just goes to show how some people opinions about the same movies can vary considerably! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know hon. I wanted to like this as much as you, but the acting just didn't work for me. Like I said, if Callan was the lead, this would have been more enjoyable for me. Sorry hon, but at least we agree on some things about this movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Diana you don't have to appologize! Everyone has their own opinion and I still find it very amusing when different people watch a movie and have complete different thoughts on the ratings. One of my friends absolutely LOVED the movie Kick-ass and I watched it last night and I'm still trying to decide what I would give it. She said on my rating scale she'd give it a 6/5 she loved it that much and I just don't think I enjoyed it that much...always makes me laugh! :-) I can't wait to see more of Callan though because he was such an awesome character. Although I couldn't put him in the lead character role because he plays such an awesome side-kick. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The movie was nothing new. But seriously, the book is good. It's far better then the movie, it has more action, better character development. I recommend reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D