CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Review: Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane #1) by Jaye Wells

Format: Audiobook
Time: 8.9 hours  
Narrator: Cynthia Holloway
Release Date: April 1, 2009 (audiobook September 2, 2010)
Series: Sabine Kane
Publisher: Orbit
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
            














In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, Sabina Kane has the only profession fit for an outcast: assassin. But, her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races and Sabina must scramble to figure out which side she's on. She's never brought her work home with her---until now.

This time, it's personal.


     Finally got a chance to read this after winning it in a giveaway from my good friend Kristin at MyBookishWays and I couldn't wait to start it. Man I am happy I did. After hearing about this book from so many booklovers and authors, I knew I had to jump on board. I think it is safe to say that this is my new favorite series.

     Red-Headed Stepchild is about a woman named Sabina Kane. Sabina is half vampire, half mage, but she prefers her vampire side. Sabina is an assassin for the Dominae, a vampire council that overseas everything concerning vampires and their legal (or illegal) affairs. It is also a council that is run by Sabina's grandmother, Lavina Kane. After Sabina is sent to assassinate to a friend who was said to betray the vampire race, Sabina finds that things are not so simple when her mixed blood and grandmother are involved.

     But given that Sabina is an assassin, she is one kick-ass vampire with a mouth. Seriously, she cracked me up sometimes with the things says. She reminded me of old Anita Blake; mouths off, shoots you, then asks questions. So after said assassination, Sabina is called by her grandmother to help infiltrate an enemy to the Dominae known as Clovis, a vampire who believes vampires and mages should co-exist and not head into war. Sabina is the only woman right for the job and the Dominae don't believe mages and vampires should mix and they want Clovis brought down (keep in mind the irony).

     This was such an incredible book for me. Sabina is easily on my favorite heroines list. She is a smart ass and she is ruthless. I love that through the characters she meets throughout the book, we find she is not as heartless as we thought, well I thought. She goes from being a loner to making some very interesting friends. For instance, Adam (oh delicious Adam!) I definitely wished we had more of Adam, the sexy mage who is following her and knows more about Sabina than she does. I also enjoyed Giguhl, a demon sent to kill Sabina, but can't. Since he failed, he is stick with her which in turn means he must travel with Sabina. This is what makes Giguhl turn into wrinkled, hairless cat (long story). He is given the nickname of Mr. Giggles. He really brings a smile to your face and for a demon, he is really likable. Also Vinca, the super-perky, flower-power nymph who becomes Sabina's roommate and who is not as innocent as she looks, well sort of.

     Another thing I heard about this book was the mythology. I have read plenty of vampire books and this was definitely one of the most unique. It has a different take on vampires. Vampires can eat garlic, they don't dress up like goths, they can go out into the sun on occasion and they do have rules.

      I don't want to give so much away because this book definitely has some twists and turns you don't see coming. It is full of action, witty and sarcastic dialogue, and can be gritty and dark at one moment and light and funny the other. I really can't think of anything bad about this book. It was just amazing and I plan on jumping on The Mage In Black (book 2) as soon as possible. Seriously, if Urban Fantasy is your thing, do not miss this book.


Rating:
I really loved it, truly amazing!



*This book belongs to the following book challenges*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011
Parajunkee's View Vampire Challenge 2011

4 comments:

  1. This series is one that has been on my wish list for awhile. I think I will just have to pick up book one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rain Maiden - Hope you do soon. I am really excited to start book 2. When you do, let me know what you think :) Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really been wanting to get my hands on this book and your review made that want much greater :) I think I shall ILL it so that I too can read it. Thanks for the review and of course thanks for commenting on my blog!!

    Megan Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Megan - You are so welcome for the comments and review hon. I have heard such great things about it and was lucky to win it through a giveaway. Thank you for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D