CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

July Releases

Monday, April 4, 2011

Review: Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera #1) by Jim Butcher

Author: Jim Butcher
Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Kate Reading
Series: Codex Alera
Number in Series: One
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Release Date: October 5, 2004
(audiobook release: November 20, 2008)
Genre: Fantasy












In the realm of Alera, where people bond with the furies-elementals of earth, air, fire, water, and metal-fifteen-year-old Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. But when his homeland erupts in chaos-when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies-Tavi's simple courage will turn the tides of war. 


      I finished this book yesterday and I am pleased to say, I am in love. I am sorry to say though, I have not started a Jim Butcher book yet as much I would have loved to. So I am happy that I started this series because it was amazing!

      Furies of Calderon is about an empire named Alera. In Alera, people are known as crafters, it when they have the ability to control the elements. Everyone is born with the ability to control just one except 15-year-old Tavi. He is smaller than other boys, not too coordinated and trouble has a funny way of following him. But that is not where this book starts. 

      This books starts with a young woman named Amara who is traveling with her teacher and father figure, Fidelias. They are known as Cursors, messengers and fighters for the First Lord, Gaius Sextus. After Amara comes up with an idea to to enter a camp of mercenaries who want to assassinate the First Lord, Amara quickly finds that she didn't have a chance. She finds out that *minor spoiler* Fidelias is a traitor and has been plotting against Gaius the entire time. Amara finds out that he has been working with High Lord Aquataine (who wants Gaius' place), Aldrick (the great swordsman), and a powerful and insane watercrafter named Odiana who tricked Amara in the first place.

     So one day Tavi loses one of his sheep and his uncle, Bernard, goes to help him. Well searching for the sheep, they are attacked by a warrior from a vicious (and cannibalistic) tribe known as the Marat. When fighting, Bernard gets wounded and that a furystorm hits. Tavi runs for his life and hides out in a Princeps Memorial. It is there he finds Amara after she had escaped from the camp. Then after Bernard is rescued and saved by his sister, Isana, Bernard goes out and finds Tavi and Amara. They soon find out that they were tracked and have to make a run for it. Amara and Bernard take a liking to each other and Tavi and one of the slaves from his home, Fade, end up with the enemy, the Marat. 

     And that is just the first half of the book. This was simply too good a book. I accidentally requested the audiobook of this book from my library. I was originally looking for the first book in the Dresden Files series, Storm Front, so don't ask me how I ended up with this. I think I was just paying attention to Jim Butcher's name instead of the title. Either way, I am happy I requested it because I am in love. Easily one of the most amazing high fantasy books I have read (or listened to). 

     The story was amazing and well told by Kate Reading. She really captured the voices of the characters well even Tavi, who was insecure and yet brave due to his lack of abilities and she managed to capture his voice the very way I thought he would talk. It was so amazing. I loved all the characters especially Amara. She was one tough girl. She took on the big things, things that a man would usually attempt first. She didn't shy away from anything that went her way and that made me love her more. 

    Furies of Calderon is full of so many little tidbits, I wish I can tell you them all. There are a lot of twists and turns in this book that you would have never seen coming. I love books that do that, I know I have said that before, but I must say it again. I just love it when your perception changes, you think you know, but you had no idea. Same thing happens in the book which was pretty interesting.

    I highly recommend this book. It can get pretty dark and gruesome at some moments. The scene with Odiana and Isana when they were captured had me reeling. It was pretty sad and intense.I really enjoyed the ending to this book, really left a big smile on my face. I really hope everyone reads this and if you have, I would love to hear your thoughts. 




Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Well it sounds like I should really get this put on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Oh you should. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. The characters are amazing and the twists and suspense will have your brain spinning. Hope you get to soon hon :) Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files". And the audio version is literally the BEST audio books I've ever listened to. James Marsters reads them (you might know him as "Spike" from the tv version of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"), he's the best narrator I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot. I used to never read. Now I only listen to these. They're REALLY good. And, of course, Butcher is an amazing storyteller and "Harry Dresden" is one of my favorite literary characters.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D