CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Movie Review: Insidious (2011)




A family looks to prevent evil spirits from trapping their comatose child in a realm called The Further.



    Well I am just going to come out and say it. This is one of the creepiest films I have seen since the original Shutter. Seriously, I nearly shit my pants when watching this. I was happy with this since James Wan directed it, the same guy who directed the very first Saw (one of two Saw films worth watching). I have seen so many ghost stories to last a lifetime and a lot of them just fall flat. This actually scared me to the point of actually jumping out of my seat.

   Insidious immediately gets you into the creepiness from the get go. A growing family of a mom, dad, two little boys and a new baby girl move into a new and big beautiful house. And from day one, strange things start taking place. Things start moving and falling to the floor for no apparent reason. So on one seemingly ordinary day, the second oldest of the boys, Dalton, goes up to the attic (always a creepy attic). He is playing Superhero and falls off a broken ladder, but while down, he sees something that we don't see at first. He has a huge bruise on his head and next thing we find out, he is in a coma for three months.

   While in a coma, the strange things get worse in the house and they agree to move because they think the house is haunted. When they get to the new house, they find that whatever was in the old house, followed them. They quickly find out something is wrong with Dalton through the dad's, Josh, mother and they call in people to help. An old lady and her goofy, but efficient, assistants that find evidence that it is not the houses that are haunted, but their son. But they want him because he has a very special ability.

   I loved this movie. It was different from ghost stories because there is an actual reason why Dalton is being haunted. Most ghost stories don't give you a reason, just say that person is special, but we don't know why they are special. This actually gives us a reason. I also like that the movie isn't the usual, modern day film. When watching this, I felt like I was watching one of those great old ghost stories from back in the 70s. If Poltergeist was a favorite for you, than you will appreciate this movie even more.

    Now that doesn't go without saying that this movie definitely had its share of problems. For instance, about the last third of the movie wasn't as scary as it should have been. I don't want to spoil it, but there were scenes that were scary, but others that they didn't play up like they could have been. But the very ending of the film definitely left my mouth hanging open, but not everyone liked it. I on the other hand have no problem with it. Another thing was when we meet the main ghost/demon that was haunting Dalton, he wasn't all that creepy. He looked like a man in makeup, clear in simple. There was one scene where we actually see his face for the first time and I won't lie, I nearly jumped out of my seat.

    Overall, this was a great film. It may not be for everyone, but as I said, it actually scared me. It is great to finally see a scary film that is actually scary and doesn't even have a lot of blood in it which was refreshing. Again going back to the old days, barely or virtually no blood, gore, and pointless sex (not complaining mind you) just a good story with good acting. So do not miss this movie if you are actually looking for a scare.


Rating:


5 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I hadn't been real interested in watching this at all. So I think I might have to rethink my thinking on that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you should. I watch a lot of horror films and a lot are such a let down, this movie was not like those. This really did scare the daylights out of me. Trust me, you won't be sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Initially I thought this was just another horror movie, (they get so repetitive, don't they?) but this review makes me think i should give it a shot. "Paranormal Activity" was really scary to me, but movies like "Hostal" and "Saw" are just gory and gross, not so much scary. This movie maight actually be scary, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D