CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Movie Review: Paul (2011)


Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) reunite for the comedy adventure Paul as two sci-fi geeks whose pilgrimage takes them to America's UFO heartland. While there, they accidentally meet an alien who brings them on an insane road trip that alters their universe forever. For the past 60 years, an alien named Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen) has been hanging out at a top-secret military base. When he discovers he's been taken prisoner, the space-traveling smart ass decides to escape the compound and hop on the first vehicle out of town-a rented RV containing Earthlings Graeme Willy (Pegg) and Clive Gollings (Frost). Chased by federal agents and the fanatical father of a young woman that they accidentally kidnap, Graeme and Clive hatch a fumbling escape plan to return Paul to his mother ship. And as two nerds struggle to help, one little green man might just take his fellow outcasts from misfits to intergalactic heroes.


     Ok, so I watched this films about a week or two ago. I know I shouldn't wait long, but the books have held my attention and that is a great excuse. Nonetheless, it is time I finally type this out because it has been bugging me, well my laziness that is. Anyway, I want to say this was a great movie, but it is a movie that isn't for everyone.

     Paul is about two nerds from England who want to take a huge America roadtrip to all of America's known alien hotspots. But you can't go on a nerd roadtrip without visiting Comic Con, which is where it all started. While on the trip and they come across a pair of hillbillies that want to kick their asses because they are nerds (sad they were grown men). Nonetheless, while running from said hillbillies, they end up witnessing an accident. When they get out to help, they come across Paul. An actual, real-life alien who was being held by the military for 60 years and finally escaped and needed to get home. They find out that what they thought about aliens wasn't exactly what the movies and tv shows portrayed them as. For instance, apparently aliens don't know Klingon.

    While on the run from an overzealous FBI agent and two other agents who were more like kids than anything else, they are also being hunted down by a woman's, Ruth (played by Kristen Wiig), dad who believes his daughter has been kidnapped by the devil. They were crazy Jesus freaks, but funny.

    Well I for one loved this movie. Being a nerd, it spoke to me. It will not be for everyone though. If a movie about nerds being chased by the FBI because they were hiding an alien in their RV, this won't be for you. But for everyone else, it was awesome.

     Overall this movie is hilarious and most shockingly, quite heartwarming. And, of course, any alien-based movie will not be complete without Sigourney Weaver who made a fun appearance in this movie. I love how Paul was the very inspiration for the world's most popular alien, E.T. I would have loved it if Steven Spielberg made an actual appearance in this movie, would have been fun. I know this is short, but hey, all I can say this movie was worth watching and it isn't as funny as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, but is still worth the money.


Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun movie. :D Need to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Diana! :-D This does look funny but I'm not sure I'll spend the money to watch it in theaters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deanna - It is funny, but compared to their other movies, not as funny. But I liked it. If you are a nerd, you will love it LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D