CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Review: Source Code (2011)






Colter Stevens an American Army helicopter pilot whose last memory is flying in Afgasnistan, wakes up on a commuter train. But he discovers he has assumed the identity of another man. 8 minutes later the train explodes and Stevens finds himself in some kind of pod. He then talks to someone named Goodwin who tells him he has to go back and find who the bomber is. He is sent back and is going through the whole thing again and tries to find who the bomber is but fails and the bomb goes off and he is back in the pod. He is sent back again and still can't find out anything. When he comes back he asks what is going on, Goodwin and Rutledge, the scientist in charge tells him he is part of a project that can put someone in another person's consciousness during the last 8 minutes of their life. Stevens says why doesn't he just stop the bomb, he is then told that he is not going back in time but placed in the moment so he can find out who the bomber is and if there are any other targets.




     I saw this film immediately after Insidious, so I was still on a spooky high if you will. So going into this, I expected to see an on-the-edge-of-my-seat action flick, but surprisingly, that is not what this movie is about. As a matter of fact, this movie went past that, it was science fiction mixed with faith. No this isn't some religious film or anything, no Jesus squad, just a film that tests the perception of time and space. And you know what, they did a damn good job on it.

    Source Code doesn't waste anytime getting right into what we know of the film. A man, a soldier named Captain Colter Stevens wakes up on a train, does not know anything besides his name and finds out he does not look like how he should. After a huge explosion, he finds himself in a metal chamber of some kind and finds out that his subconscious has been "linked up" to a passenger on board the train that crashed earlier that day, which means that passenger is dead. So even though the mission is to catch a crazy terrorist, Captain Stevens is also on a mission to see if he can contact the other side even though he is in the past.

    Now I won't lie, when I saw the trailer to this, I wrote this off as a Deja Vu ripoff. Now I am a fan of both the leading men of these movies, but Deja Vu just wasn't a favorite, so I wrote it off. But I did give it a chance and I am very happy I did. We get science fiction to a different degree. 

    One thing that is worth bragging (and sort of laughing at if you are me) is the storyline. It is great, but as I have heard many say and what I thought, the film is a sci-fi take to Groundhog Day. Now if you have never seen Groundhog Day, I feel sorry for you because it is an amazing movie and very funny. Also the world wouldn't be right without Bill Murray. But it is done not only with a more sci-fi aspect, there is also a little twist we didn't see coming and just makes the movie that more intriguing and complex.

    Overall, watch this movie. I apologize for judging it to quickly and I am proud I gave it a chance. One of the few very touching sci-fi films I have seen. If you want to spend money at the theaters, this is a pretty safe bet.


Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Oh I am soooo very excited to see that you really enjoyed this movie! I want to see it so bad but seeing that you gave it a 5...I'm all in! Plus Jake is not bad to look at over and over and over and over again! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No he isn't. God just his eyes are worth melting over LOL! But it is a great movie and a lot more than what the trailer makes it out to be. Hope you catch it soon, Definitely worth watching and rewatching :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I wish I'd love this movie as much as you (and a lot of other people) did. I just found the plot holes astounding and really wanted more explanation as to where exactly the source code came from, and how the agency had so little control and information about some high tech ability they created (I'm trying to be vague, I don't want to spoil anything). Eh, to each their own. I find the day repeating premise works better with television.
    Thanks for the review, it's good to see what you thought.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D