CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Book Review: This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress #5) by Jeaniene Frost

Author: Jeaniene Frost
Series: Night Huntress
Number in Series: 5
Format: Paperback
Pages: 357
Publisher: Avon
Release Date: February 22, 2011
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance














Danger waits on both sides of the grave.

  Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance . . .
With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"—the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war . . . to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.





     *Possible spoilers* Just finished this last night and once again, Jeaniene Frost delivered. I have read plenty of reviews for this and I couldn't wait to make mine. This Side of the Grave is fast, action packed, funny and full of more of the world's greatest vampire couple, Cat and Bones.

     This Side of the Grave starts off with Cat and Bones being contacted by two vampires, Ed and Scratch, who desperately need their help. They are told by Ed and Scratch that they are being taken down one by one. Vampires low on the food chain are being annihilated by ghouls. Ghouls think that vampires have had the spotlight for too long and want things to tip in their favor. So with the help and hatred of Apollyon, he is gathering ghouls to hunt and destroy vampires everywhere and top of that list, Cat, due to her "powers". Little do they know she gets her powers by drinking from other vampires, she can't drink from humans.

    So on top of a potential war/genocide and death threats, Cat is blasted with even more horrible news that her uncle, Don, is dying from cancer and no one told her about it. So things really aren't looking up for Cat, but luckily she has Bones who really helps takes her mind off of things. So while on a visit to the voodoo queen, Marie, Cat is forced to drink Marie's blood and she ends up with the power a very special and interesting power. But we don't know exactly at what cost and since Marie is a ghoul, we don't know what Marie's agenda really is.


    I really enjoyed this book. I have heard people saying that something wasn't necessarily working for them and I understand that. I think that since there were plenty of people complaining about Destined For An Early Grave and how Cat and Bones didn't seem like Cat and Bones. I don't really agree with that, but I get it. This Side Of The Grave was both a new story and a rekindling, if you will. I think after all that happened between Cat and Bones from the last book, we were shown more of Cat and Bones and what they are willing to do for each other. I loved that we see Cat break down the last wall she held up against Bones, I didn't cry, but the scene was beautiful.


    I love that we got some Tate in this book and he may still be questionable when it comes Cat and Bones, but it seemed he is finally accepting it. What I didn't like so much was Ian and his one line. I love Ian, why didn't we get more Ian. But I love Frost and can forgive her since we got more Vlad Tepesh. His lines were some of my favorites in this book, for instance,
“Premature inflammation,” he replied. “Happens sometimes. Very embarrassing. I don’t like to talk about it." 
  "I know I'm delicious. Nummy.....nummy."


     And, of course, everyone's favorite Bones' quote:
"Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand."

     Overall, this was a great book. I won't lie, I did nearly cry at one point (if you read it then you probably know the scene). My biggest complaint was the ending, not the entire ending, just part. The bad guy, Apollyon, was such a coward. I just wanted to kill him because of what he started. Seriously, I can't stand bad guys who talk, but can't do much else. Pathetic. I did like the rest though and the surprise at the end, I didn't expect that to happen. Nonetheless, I recommend this to fans and I read the excerpt at the end for One Grave At A Time (coming out August 30, woohoo!) and I am so excited. Can't wait!


Rating:



   
*This book is for the following challenges*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011 
Parajunkee's View Vampire Challenge 2011

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic review Diana! I'm happy to see that you enjoyed this book as well. I did not realize that Destined for an Early Grave was not well liked compared to the rest of the series. It was my favorite out of the whole thing. LOL, I guess I always have to be an odd ball. I really loved seeing all of the characters in one book and I enjoyed seeing Cat finally give her whole self to Bones. The part that broke me and made my cry my eyes out was when Don was on his death bed dying. He was the only father figure Cat had ever known and to have him dying right infront of her eyes killed me. Father's aren't supposed to be weak they are supposed to always be strong! I could just feel everything Cat was going through asking Don to be the one to give her away to Bones and how Jeaniene made sure to complete the circle by having Cat hear that Don was going to say yes. I would have been empty if she wouldn't have at least let us know how Don really felt about Cat and Bones being married. Man it just got to me...I didn't even realize that I liked Don that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm still not sure about Tate. There are times I trust him and other times I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deanna - Thank you hon :) I did love this. Yeah there were people who complained about it, but I am with you, I loved book 4 too. I was so happy that she finally broke down the wall when it came to Bones. I also loved how Cat finally accepted Mencheres in this book. Cat really matures in this book and that was really nice. I so agree with that, the part with Don and Cat was heartbreaking. I like how Frost put that together. It was so sad, I had to stop and take a breather, definitely had me teary eyed and it takes a lot to make me cry LOL. I liked Don, he was a tough ass, but it made Cat all the better for it despite him not telling her at first. Man is August here yet?! LOL! Thank you for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @robsad - I see what you mean. Given how hard he fell for Cat, I always end up thinking he will do something to betray her. But as much as he may hate Cat and Bones, I think he wouldn't risk it given that Bones will tear him limb for limb. I really hope he gets his own book soon and those suspicions won't become reality :( Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping my fingers crossed but I could see that if Tate goes to the dark side, he would do anything to get Cat. I could see him trying to fight Bones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @robsad - I agree. Tate will do anything for Cat even if that means taking her away from Bones. But like I said, this book seems like Tate finally accepted them. Let's hope it wasn't an act.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D