CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Movie Review: Bridesmaids (2011)


Synopsis from IMDB

Annie (Kristen Wiig), is a maid of honor whose life unravels as she leads her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), and a group of colorful bridesmaids (Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on a wild ride down the road to matrimony. Annie's life is a mess. But when she finds out her lifetime best friend is engaged, she simply must serve as Lillian's maid of honor. Though lovelorn and broke, Annie bluffs her way through the expensive and bizarre rituals. With one chance to get it perfect, she'll show Lillian and her bridesmaids just how far you'll go for someone you love.




    Now everyone knows that chick flicks aren’t my thing. As a matter of fact, they make me hurl. But this isn’t a chick flick; it is female driven, yes. But all-out Sex in the City type bullshit, look somewhere else. This is a group of very, very funny women doing an amazing raunchy comedy both adult men and women will love. Honestly, one of the best comedies I have seen in a long, long time.

     Bridesmaids is a movie about a woman named Annie (Kristen Wiig) who just found out her best friend is getting married. Annie is happy for her friend and even happier she is maid of honor. But Annie is not too happy with her life because her “boyfriend”, she lost her business due to the recession and her job is less than stellar.  But starting the wedding process Annie realizes her life is more screwed up than she thought when her best friend’s new friend is really stealing her thunder, but it leads her to meet a very cute and sweet cop.

    I didn’t know what to expect of this movie. I knew it was going to be funny because this movie is full of Saturday Night Live starlets. But I had no idea this film was going to be that funny. It got to the point where I felt I was going to pass out from laughing so hard. One of my favorite scenes ever was actually the scene where they were trying on the bridesmaids’ dresses. They just came from a restaurant that seems to have given them food poisoning and they were all terribly sick. The reaction was just too incredible and when our bride-to-be Lillian (Maya Rudolph) tried to find a bathroom, I nearly lost it. I know this might sound immature, but you have to see it for yourself. Tears were coming out of my eyes and my stomach hurt by how funny that scene alone was.

     This movie was full of great female comedians. It is a movie that shows that women are just as funny and nasty as men. But still manages to be sweet at the same time. One of the biggest surprises in this movie was Ted played by the amazing Jon Hamm. He was a jerk, actually the biggest jerk in the world. Seeing Hamm play one the douchiest men alive was a comedy all in itself. Annie allows herself to be treated like shit by him time and time again. My only disappointment in this movie was that he didn’t get what was coming to him.

     Out of all the great comedians in this movie though, the one person who stole the show was Megan (Melissa McCarthy). Megan was not only the ultimate tomboy, she was butch to the max. The things she does and say in this movie are so unexpected. I wouldn’t be surprised if she got her own movie because quite frankly, she deserves it. McCarthy is so cute and adorable and seeing the way they made her look like in this movie was a shocker. But seriously, she really should get her own movie.

     I don’t know what more I can say to make you see this movie because my words just aren’t enough even though I could talk about this movie all day. This movie truly is more than I would have imagined. Like I said this is really one of the best comedies I have seen and given how picky I am, that is saying plenty. Bridesmaids is sweet, charming, and raunchy. It is not a movie about love per se, it is a movie about change. When you hit rock bottom and it seems as though everyone you care about (and maybe not care so much about) are moving on and moving ahead. A movie about when you are in life’s slump and don’t feel like fighting anymore. That is what this movie was about. It was something we all could relate to and it is why I urge everyone to watch this movie. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.


Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I loved this movie too! It was hysterical. That whole bridal shop scene damn near made me pee my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great. I am so with you, the bridal shop scene nearly had me falling out of my seat from laughing. Just too funny for words. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to watch this movie soooooooooooo bad! I've heard of so many people saying it was the funniest thing they've ever seen and it had them laughing harder then they had in a long time. I'm glad to see you also enjoyed it and even though I like some chick flicks it's nice to see a movie with a ton of girls that isn't a chick flick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Deanna - You are going to love this. Truly is one of the best comedies I have seen. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard. I can't wait to hear what you think about it especially about the bridal shop scene. I will never forget that, seriously. Thanks hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D