CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Movie Review: Fast Five (2011)



Synopsis from IMDB

Former cop Brian O'Conner partners with ex-con Dom Toretto on the opposite side of the law. Since Brian and Mia Toretto broke Dom out of custody, they've blown across many borders to elude authorities. Now backed into a corner in Rio de Janeiro, they must pull one last job in order to gain their freedom. As they assemble their elite team of top racers, the unlikely allies know their only shot of getting out for good means confronting the corrupt businessman who wants them dead. But he's not the only one on their tail. Hard-nosed federal agent Luke Hobbs never misses his target. When he is assigned to track down Dom and Brian, he and his strike team launch an all-out assault to capture them. But as his men tear through Brazil, Hobbs learns he can't separate the good guys from the bad. Now, he must rely on his instincts to corner his prey... before someone else runs them down first. 



     Ok I will admit right here and right now. I have long ago, since part one, given up on The Fast and The Furious franchise. I loved the first one. I rented it from Blockbuster (when it was the place to go for movies) and watched it every single day until my 7 days was up. So yeah, can't say I wasn't a fan,. But the more the movies went, they fell for me, especially Tokyo Drift. So I was a little scared for this, but seeing the Rock propelled me. Come on, can you blame me? Nonetheless I am happy to report, Fast Five has returned to its original glory.

      Must admit, I wasn't all that excited to see this at first though. But I thought, why not? To be honest, I thought this was the last one and wanted to at least watch it. But when this was over, I had a smile on my face. Although the end definitely seemed like it was hinting to a part 6, but I don't understand why. The franchise has finally gotten on the right track and ended on a high note. But I heard there might be a part 6 and I hope there won't be. This was just a good way to end. 

     Nonetheless, I loved this movie. I like the fact that this film focused more on the storyline and the characters. Also loved that it only had one drag race. I am sorry, but those get annoying when you see them over and over again in one sitting, part of the reason why the others in the franchise annoyed me. Still the film was full of action, great fight scenes and a sad moment that almost brought me to tears (oddly enough with someone we haven't seen since the first film in the franchise). Although what made this really good had a lot to do with the idea itself. This film relied heavily on an Ocean's 11 feel (a franchise I love). It was Ocean's 11 with high-octane action which made one hell of a combination.

      I loved all the characters. They brought back everyone from the previous films and the chemistry was great. Everyone meshed well and they were fun together. I like that everyone was in some sort of pair and they fed off each other well. For instance, Roman (Tyrese Gibson) and Tej (Ludacris) had a great love/hate relationship and will keep a smile on your face from beginning to end. I loved the tough police chick, Elena (Elsa Pataky) they brought in to work with Hobbs (The Rock) and to be Dom's love interest. I am happy they didn't focus on that between them, but you can tell it was going to happen. That and Elena was the only one who thought outside the box compared to the other cops. The Rock was the hardass of hardasses. I love The Rock (boy, do I), but he kind of scared me and he could easily crush me with his fingers. Seriously, the no-bullshit attitude was very intense.  But I love how things take a turn with him especially where Dom is concerned.

     There were so many great scenes in this. My favorite scene consists of three things; Vin Diesel, The Rock, and a fist fight. That was definitely one of the high points for me. Nothing better than watching two hot men with biceps bigger than my head just go at it. That would be a wrestling match worth paying for. Something both men and women to feast their eyes on.

      If you have passed this over because you thought it was same old same old. trust me, it isn't. The storyline is great and better yet, there is an actual storyline. The Rock is back to what he is good at, being a badass. So nice not seeing him in another mind numbing Disney movie. Again, the Ocean's 11 type of feel was what this franchise needed and it really worked in its favor as far as I am concerned. If you haven't seen any of them, still check this out. Also I heard there was something after the credits and it was huge and connected with part 1. So that is even more incentive for me to check this out again because I missed the clip. It is huge.


Rating:
 

3 comments:

  1. You didn't like "fast and Furious"?? Sure it could have been better, but it was still pretty good. For me the worst one was "2 Fast 2 Furious". I can't dislike any of them that have the original cast and "Tokyo Drift, which TOTALLY cornball did have some great racing scenes, which I love, after all, isn't that what the franchise was originally about?

    The first one remains one of my favorite movies ever and I heard they were definitely doing a 6th one and possibly a 7th. Can't say I blame them, Fast Five made 83 million dollars in one weekend.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed this. I was so worried about if you would like it or not. :-) I'm afraid of them doing another one but really the way they set it up it's got to have the original crew and be bad ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hey Lady - True, but the first one also had a great storyline. I don't know maybe it was just me. But the others after that just didn't work for me. I am so with you, the first one was just incredible. I just hope they keep it up.

    @Deanna - I am glad I enjoyed it too. I hoped to have liked it as much as you did :D I am with you, I am scared for more to come, but I think if they keep to the format they had in this one, they will do great.

    Thanks guys for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D