CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Movie Review: Priest (2011)


Synopsis from IMDB

PRIEST, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller, is set in an alternate world -- one ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. The story revolves around a legendary Warrior Priest from the last Vampire War who now lives in obscurity among the other downtrodden human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities ruled by the Church. When his niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires, Priest breaks his sacred vows to venture out on a quest to find her before they turn her into one of them. He is joined on his crusade by his niece's boyfriend, a trigger-fingered young wasteland sheriff, and a former Warrior Priestess who possesses otherworldly fighting skills.




     I saw Priest a couple of days ago and was really excited to see it. Great graphic novel, great actors and plenty of action. But with all of that, I am sad to report, this film fell flat.
               
     Priest is set in the future. A future where the Church runs all. Humans were almost run into extinction due to the human-vampire war. So to keep the rest of humanity safe, dystopian-like cities were built for the rest of humanity. Vampires and vampire wannabees have their own reserve that was given to them by the Church and the human cities are run by the church and kept safe by priests. These priests are warriors for the church and all of them have powers. But things take a turn when our main priest, just called Priest, gets news from her boyfriend/sheriff (not my favorite actor at all) that his niece was kidnapped. Worse yet, his niece was kidnapped by a group of vampires which the Church doesn’t believe is real. So Priest breaks his vows to the Church to rescue his niece and finds that who is behind it all was someone he thought was long dead.

      I don’t want to spoil the movie. But I will say this; there is not much to spoil. This was definitely a big disappointment for me. I was really looking forward to this movie and seeing the way it was executed just hurt because it had lots of potential. Now this wasn’t the most horrible movie ever, but man it could have been close. It had some good points. The best part of this movie was actually the beginning. They use this amazing animation to tell the story of what happened during and after the war. If the entire movie looked like that animation scene than this would have been light years better. The action was cool even though the slo-mo used was pointless at times. There’s a point in the movie where the slo-mo is used for when Priest holds his hands in a prayer before he actually gets into the fight. Or when he breaks his rosary beads, it is slowed down kept track of. I thought he was going to do something cool with them, but no, we just watch them bounce on the floor. Ummmm, okay. Also this was not the right movie for 3D. It didn’t add a thing to the movie. It was too dark and I love dark films, so that is saying something. It was so dark, the ”blood” in the movie looked like oil.

     There were some things in this movie that didn’t add up. Like with Priest’s niece, she shows up home and was obviously with someone. Thing is, I don’t understand how she got home and why her family were the only people who lived where they did. When we see Priest travel to her house, he took forever and a day. Yet her family didn’t seem to have a vehicle of any kind, so how did she get home and not see catch some glimpse of the things chasing her. I mean, the vampires show up just a few minutes after she arrives home, how didn’t she see them when there is nowhere they could have hidden?

     I actually enjoyed the villain in the movie, but I don’t think he was given enough. The final fight between him and Priest should have been better, it was lacking. To be honest, most of the fights in the movie were lacking. As much as I adore Paul Bettany, this movie didn’t do him justice. I actually liked Maggie Q the most in this movie. The woman was born to be in an action flick, but again, she wasn’t given much to work with. There was just no substance in this movie, just a bunch of looking around and waiting for something to pop out so you can fight it.

     Overall, this movie was ok. The trailer looks better than the movie and that is not much either. Again, it had so much potential. I love what they were aiming for, but they didn’t aim high enough. Not even close. Have you ever seen Constantine? That is what I got from this. Yeah, that much bullshit.



Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Well that sucks. I was looking forward to Priest. We went and watched Pirates. I thought it was better then the last two Pirate movies. I'm not sure that 3D is worth the extra money though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like this one will also go on my list to watch once it's out on DVD. I hate how movies can look so awesome in the trailer and be not so great as a full film. :-( Stupid advertising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deanna - Yeah, rent it on DVD, it wasn't worth the ticket price. The trailer was definitely better than the movie. I just felt left down by this, I was looking forward to this one really. So disappointing. I am with you, blame the stupid advertising. They really know how to reel you in don't they? :( Thanks for the comment hon.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D