CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, May 13, 2011

Movie Review: Thor (2011)


Synopsis from IMDB

The warrior Thor (Hemsworth) is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard by his father Odin (Hopkins) for his arrogance and sent to Earth to live among humans. Falling in love with scientist Jane Foster (Portman) teaches Thor much-needed lessons, and his new-found strength comes into play as a villain from his homeland sends dark forces toward Earth.




Oh my God, this movie was AWESOME! If I could write just one sentence reviews, that would be it. Unfortunately that is just boring and lazy. Nonetheless, I went into this with high expectations and they were surpassed. Lots of action, laughs, and amazing special effects worth the $30 I spent to watch this In IMAX. This was the perfect way to start off the summer blockbuster and I hope the rest will be just as great as this.

                Thor is about a man, a Viking warrior on the planet of Asgard. Thor is next in line to become king of their realm and is about to be gifted the mighty hammer of Asgard. Problem is, Thor is selfish and arrogant and his father, Odin, knows this is trouble. But opportunity arises for Thor to prove himself to his dad. Asgard’s enemies somehow broke into the weapons’ vault to try to steal the most powerful weapon, a weapon that belonged to them to begin with. Odin forbids Thor from invading their realm because Odin wants to keep the peace; Thor wants to teach them a lesson. Thor disobeys his father and takes his group of friends to invade the planet. This starts a war between both planets. Odin shuns Thor to Earth which is where Thor is hit by a van driven by a physicist named Jane Foster. Jane knows that Thor is the very key to finding out the secret of the cosmos and Thor knows he needs to gain his powers back to get back his hammer which was also sent and cursed by Odin.

                It really is no big surprise I fell in love with this movie. The actors in this movie are what really made this movie shine. Anthony Hopkins was perfectly cast as Odin. I mean it is Anthony Hopkins! Chris Hemsworth was incredible as Thor (sweet baby Jesus was he hot!) Also Stellan Skarsgard is also in this, which I didn’t know before. This man has been in as many films as Hopkins, he is just as amazing. But I have to say with all the amazing actors this film was full of, my favorite was Tom Hiddleston. He was the Thor’s younger and traitorous brother, Loki (who was also pretty hot). I love all the actors, don’t get me wrong, but Hiddleston acted the shit out of this movie. So much passion and aggression came from him; he was just the most captivating to me. I look forward to seeing him in more movies, can’t believe I have never heard of him before. Also let’s not forget Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings. They were both so smart and cute even though I sort of wish Dennings’ character was given a bigger role. She was still great. One questions though, what was up with Jeremy Renner? It was quite random to make him the hitman since he is now an Oscar nominated actor. I am just saying, I am a huge fan of the guy and I feel like I have been teased. He better have a big role in The Avengers. With that said, same goes for Idris Elba. Goodness, this movie was full of hot men.

                Let’s not forget the special effects in this movie. The world of Asgard was just spectacular. All solid gold mix with bright and crazy colors, it was a sight to remember.  The 3D definitely helped bring it all to life even though with or without, the film would have looked amazing.  But seeing Hemsworth’s beautifully sculpted six pack abs in three dimensions. Although that wasn’t my favorite scene, it was one of my favorites though. My favorite scene was actually after S.H.I.E.L.D. came and stole all of Jane’s research and she and Thor went to go get them and the hammer back. The fight scene here was incredible. Thor took down everyone so easily and the slo-mo dropkick was amazing.

                As much as I loved this movie there are a couple of things I would have liked more clearly. My biggest thing was the romance. I could have sworn that Thor would have been attracted to Sif, the female warrior he fought beside. I didn’t quite understand the romance between Thor and Jane. I mean I know why Jane would be attracted to Thor. I mean come on, have you seen the guy?! But I didn’t fully get why he was so in love with her. Sure she was smart and brave, but so is Sif. I don’t know, I am just saying. Other thing I wanted cleared up was actually Loki himself. Like I said, he was my favorite character in this movie, but something didn’t make sense to me with him. We know Loki is evil (Loki is synonymous with devil), but we don’t get a clear picture as to why he did what he did. [SPOLER, TREAD CAREFULLY] Does he betray Odin because he suspected his heritage the whole time or does he betray Odin for the throne? But if it is for the throne, why did he do what he did near the end of the movie with the other planet? Given Loki’s gifts, I am not 100% sure he needed the throne to pull that off. Nonetheless, considering his plans for the other planet, it seemed he did it all out of pain not really because he was being evil. Don’t get me wrong, he was one tricky evil bastard (remember, devil) from the beginning. But I think like Odin, everything he does has a purpose. And given the clip after the credits, that couldn’t be truer. [END OF SPOILER]
                               
                Overall, this was an amazing film. It was action packed and funny. The fight scenes were to die for (bad pun) and seeing it in IMAX, just made them that much more amazing to see. That and the amazing special effects were great. I watched Thor for a second time yesterday and loved it even more. I may have had a problem or two with it, but it is such a great movie. I highly urge both men and women to check this out.


Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this. I do believe it's on my list to watch this weekend. Plus that guy is HOT HOT HOT! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. It was a pretty kickass movie. I plan on seeing it a third time this week after POTC. And yes, Chris Hemsworth is to die for. I wouldn't mind seeing him in every movie that comes out this year LOL! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D