CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, June 25, 2011

ARC Book Review: Rebirth (Aftertime #2) by Sophie Littlefield

Author: Sophie Littlefield
Series: Aftertime
Number in Series: 2
Format: PDF (Netgalley)
Release Date: July 19, 2011
Publisher: Luna Books
Genre: Dystopian/Dark Urban Fantasy
















Buy here:



Synopsis from Goodreads

The end of the world was just the beginning
Civilization has fallen, leaving California an unforgiving, decimated place. But Cass Dollar beat terrible odds to get her missing daughter back—she and Ruthie will be happy.

Yet with the first winter, Cass is reminded that happiness is fleeting in Aftertime. Ruthie retreats into silence.
Flesh—eating Beaters still dominate the landscape. And Smoke, Cass's lover and strength, departs on a quest for vengeance, one that may end him even if he returns.

The survivalist community Cass has planted roots in is breaking apart, too. Its leader, Dor, implores Cass to help him recover his own lost daughter, taken by the totalitarian Rebuilders. And soon Cass finds herself thrust into the dark heart of an organization promising humanity's rebirth—at all costs.

Bound to two men blazing divergent paths across a savage land, Cass must overcome the darkness in her wounded heart, or lose those she loves forever.



     Now for those that don’t know or haven’t seen it yet, I gave Aftertime (book 1) a huge rating. Well Sophie Littlefield has done it again with Rebirth. The sequel coming out quickly after its debut packs as big of an emotional punch as the first book. Littlefield has once again given us a book that beautifully written and heartwrenching.

     Rebirth starts a little bit after Aftertime has left off. Cass is living in the Box with Smoke and Ruthie. They are alive and as well as they can be. Beaters (zombies) are still roaming around, but Dor has the Box well secured. Everyone is content until the Box receives news about the Rebuilders. The Rebuilders are a group of people who are using people’s desperation to create their own world. They give everyone two choices; join or die. When Cass and the others find out what they have done to their friends at the library, Smoke takes it upon himself to avenge them including the woman he was with before he met Cass. This starts a domino effect for Cass. While she is battling with trying to keep her and Ruthie above water, Cass is also battling with herself and her past demons. 

     What surprised me most about this is that we start to see things from Dor’s point of view. He comes off as nothing but a greedy, selfish, take-no-bullshit type of man. But we discover that finding out that his daughter has been taken, Dor tries to go on a one man killing spree. Unfortunately, Cass is tired of the Box and hurt by what Smoke has done.  While working on their plan to get into the Rebuilder’s colony, Cass takes her pain out on Dor. This was something I didn’t expect, but was realistic. I understood why things went the way they did, but some might not like it.

     Aftertime is already on my Best Book of 2011 list. I will put Rebirth on my Best Sequel of 2011 list.  Honestly this is one of the greatest series I have read. The characters are believable. They are trying to stay alive, but they are still human and are battling with things that just don’t go away because the world has changed.  It has been said plenty of times, but I will say it again. The book is quite reminiscent to The Walking Dead in that aspect. Zombies are a part of the equation, but they are not the only factor. We see that even though the world isn’t the same anymore and everyone wants to survive, there are more threats than just the zombies.  And sometimes it is you that you are up against.

    The plot is rich, well-paced and insane. With every chapter, we get another bombshell. When things fall into place and we find out exactly what the Rebuilders are up to, it added just another layer of horror to the story. I didn’t think it was possible considering all that they are enduring, but trust me, it gets far worse.  I won’t go so much into this because I am afraid to reveal secrets.

     I don’t know what else I can say for you to read this series.  It is truly extraordinary. Littlefield really didn’t hold much back in this sequel, so please be prepared for some uncomfortable scenes. This book was raw and emotional.  Rebirth is a powerful book that will once again put you on an emotional rollercoaster. Being placed in a world that is lost and full of desperation and anguish, Littlefield has once again given us a beautiful piece of work. I heard this is going to be a trilogy so the next book is it, but honestly, I wish it didn’t have to end. Make sure to buy this July 19. Read it and then read it again.


Rating:





Check out my rating for book 1 here: Aftertime


*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011

4 comments:

  1. I have Aftertime on my wish list, after your review I want to read the two books like now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember your awesome review for Aftertime which is why that is on my TBR list already. I'm so happy to see the sequal was so good too because it gives me an extra push to keep this series on my TBR list to check out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. July 19th can't get here fast enough! Can't wait for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nook on Sale - Tell me about it, but I will be having an interview here soon and Littlefield has been nice enough to offer a giveaway for Rebirth. So make sure you stop by :) Thank you for the cooment :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D