CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Book Review: Magic Slays (Kate Daniels #5) by Ilona Andrews

Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels
Number in Series: 5
Format: Ebook (Nook)
Release Date: May 31, 2011
Publisher: Ace
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance














Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Plagued by a war between magic and technology, Atlanta has never been so deadly. Good thing Kate Daniels is on the job.

Kate Daniels may have quit the Order of Merciful Aid, but she’s still knee-deep in paranormal problems. Or she would be if she could get someone to hire her. Starting her own business has been more challenging than she thought it would be—now that the Order is disparaging her good name, and many potential clients are afraid of getting on the bad side of the Beast Lord, who just happens to be Kate’s mate.

So when Atlanta’s premier Master of the Dead calls to ask for help with a vampire on the loose, Kate leaps at the chance of some paying work. Turns out this is not an isolated incident, and Kate needs to get to the bottom of it—fast, or the city and everyone dear to her might pay the ultimate price . . .



    One of my favorite series in the world, the Kate Daniels series, has a new addition. And guess what? I loved it! Husband-and-wife writing duo Ilona Andrews have done it again. Another book full of mystery, horror, laughs, and unique villains. I can’t say it enough; this is a series that must be read. Whenever there is a list great Urban Fantasy books, there is a reason this series will most likely be found on it. Yeah, it is that incredible.

    Magic Slays starts off tough for our amazing heroine, Kate Daniels. She has left The Order after her boss basically told her to sit back and let her friends die because they were nothing but monsters. But because she is mated to one of my favorite book-boyfriends, Curran, he gives her her own building to start her own work. Problem is, she is not getting any calls. Things take a turn when Ghastek, Master of the Dead and Kate’s pain in the ass, asks her to take down a vampire. Things turn sour and something happens to Ghastek that no one saw coming.

     If that wasn’t enough, Kate gets a visit from Rene (who played bodyguard at the illegal Midnight Games in Magic Strikes). Rene informs Kate that an item was stolen from under their noses while they were guarding a house and the person who making that item was kidnapped. Kate soon finds out that the item in question will put everyone in the city of Atlanta is danger.

     This is a series I can’t see myself turning away from. In Magic Slays, things become more dangerous on a grander scale. I thought Magic Slays was the most emotional book yet in the series. Given all that has happened and whose lives are on the line, it almost brought a tear to my eye. But don’t let that fool you, this book still holds all the action and laughs we are used to. I love how Andrews brings in everything we love about this series and it just gets better and better. With the world future Atlanta and what is happening in it, this book felt bigger somehow. Can’t explain it, but that is how I felt. Andrews world building is one of the many reasons this series should be on your bookshelf.

     Our favorite couple, Kate and Curran, is finally official after their constant and funny bickering. I like that Andrews wrote it to where they don’t change necessarily, that you really see more of how well they play off each other when they are together. I love that Curran is willing to do anything for Kate; he really puts her above everyone else. We find out more about Kate and her heritage. What we find out is quite cruel and devastating. This makes Kate a bit lost and suspicious about everything and everyone. This includes our amazing and gorgeous Curran. This brought even more tension between them, but it sort of brings them closer together. This is why they are one of the greatest couples.

     All of our other favorite characters are back as well. We got our crazy gunslinger Andrea and we find out what she has been up to after the Kate-Order situation. Her and Raphael are on the rocks and Andrea needs help from her best friend Kate. We get more of Julie who seems to be becoming more like Kate everyday. Doesn’t listen to the rules and stubborn as hell. We also have a new kid named Ascanio who is fifteen and can’t seem to keep his clothes on; I can’t wait to see what is to become of him. What I love most is how much Derek has grown. He is learning a lot from Blade lookalike Jim and he is becoming quite the badass. 

    Overall, this is a series I rave about and will continue to rave about. There is so much action (especially at the end, it was crazy). The world is so unique and out of the box, it is impossible to not get engulfed in a world of technology and magic. And once again, the characters are to die for. You get so much from everyone in the book; they all add something to the series and make you want even more from them. Definitely have more quotes to add to my favorites list, as always. 

Andrea raised her hand. “This is the hand that slapped Aunt B.”
“Maybe you should have it gold-plated.”
“Here, you can touch it, since you’re my best friend."

“Help me, I can’t breathe, your ego is pushing all the air out of the room”

“What's with the beard and the horse mane? You look like Rent-a-Villain.”
The volhv's eyes widened. He raised his hand at me. “Well you don't look... female... in your pants.”
“That's a hell of an insult. Did you think of it all by yourself or did you ask your god for help?”
 
Man I love it! If this is not on your must-read list, I will send Kate after you.


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011

7 comments:

  1. I'm avoiding reading these reviews because I have the first book sitting on my shelf and I must start reading it soon. Everyone always talking about this series is really spuring me on to read these books. So glad that even onto book 5 you are really enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quotes make me want to read this over again. Actually, every review I've read where they included quotes, they have made me want to read it again. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Paperback - You really should read this series. Promise you won't be disappointed. Snap to it woman! LOL! Can't wait for your take on Kate & Curran.

    @Julie - Oh my goddness, same here! I bookmarked my favorites and just reading them over, I ended up reading a whole chapter again LOL! That is the power of Andrews. I might just restart the whole series soon, no reason not to.

    Thank you guys for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Have you read The Fever Series? There's this site that always does mock battles between several paranormal characters and I always wonder why her characters are frequently put up against Andrew's peeps . I haven't read any of Ilona Andrew's work so I was hoping you could share your thoughts about that. Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Braine - Yes I have read the Fever series, twice. I never read those mock battles, but they sound like fun. But I would guess with has a lot to do with the main men from both series (Curran and Barrons) are pretty much at the top of the best book boyfriends list LOL! Also with other characters, they are all pretty strong and entertaining. Hope that helps and hope you start this series, it is soooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well if this Curran is as dreamy as Barrons then I most definitely will put this on my to-read list. Thanks girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Braine - Oh Curran is definitely as dreamy Barrons and just as cocky LOL! Trust me, you will love him and Kate together. They are the powerhouse couple LOL! Can't wait until you start it, you will love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D