CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Book Review: Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires #4) by Rachel Caine

Author: Rachel Caine
Series: The Morganville Vampires
Number in Series:4
Format: Audiobook
Time: 8 hrs. and 11 mins
Narrator: Cynthia Halloway
Release Date: June 4, 2008
(audiobook October 6, 2009)
Publisher: Tantor Media
Genre: Young Adult/Urban Fantasy






 
Buy here:



Synposis from IndieBound

The wait is over. dig into the feast...

In the town of Morganville, vampires and humans live in relative peace. Student Claire Danvers has never been convinced, though--especially with the arrival of Mr. Bishop, an ancient, old-school vampire who cares nothing about harmony. What he wants from the town's living and its dead is unthinkably sinister. It's only at a formal ball, attended by vampires and their human dates, that Claire realizes the elaborately evil trap he's set for Morganville.



     The Morganville Vampires series continues to leave me in a state of awe.  More intrigue, more action and a new vampire in town that is enough to scare even Morganville’s top dogs.  Feast of Fools has added another layer to this amazing series and this time, the entire town is at stake.

     Feast of Fools picks up where Midnight Alley left off.  We were given quite the shocker at the end of Midnight Alley. We were introduced to Amelie’s (town’s founder and the strongest vampire) “father” Bishop. He has arrived in town and wants to talk to his daughter. While in town, Bishop has been very busy. First, he has made acquaintance with Claire’s parents and wants to get to know the housemates better considering they are under Amelie’s protection. Bishop and his creepy entourage, Ysandre and Francois, invade the Glass House and scare everyone into submission until he gets what he wants. There are bad guys and there are evil guys. Bishop was definitely evil. He gave off a vibe that made you know one wrong move, he would rip out your throat and probably eat it in front you. He truly scared me.

    But this book goes more and more into the relationship between these friends.  There is still conflict, specifically between Michael and Shane.  Shane is still hurt after his fight in Midnight Alley and is still uneasy around Michael. But no matter where things go, they all stick up for each other. I love that Caine sticks with this. I don’t think I would like this as much if they were to break apart because they all bring something to the table and balance out the series well. 

    I love that we got to see more Myrnin. As I said before, he is a favorite for me and in this book we see him go to some interesting lengths to take down Bishop. I actually liked this scene. All vampires are supposed to take one human with them to the city ball. This leads to some big reveals and some huge “Holy Hell” moments. The plot to this book made it impossible for me to stop listening to, yet again. I love how well paced these books are. They add so much to plot and make this series hard to put down.  I know there are some who complained that it is same old-same old, but I don’t see that. The further I go, the more mature the characters get, the closer they get, the more we find out about our supposed villains. There is just so much here.

     Overall, this was yet another great book in the series. Had another ending that will make book 5, Lord of Misrule, all the more amazing and terrifying. We find out something very interesting about Amelie and what she has been trying to accomplish. I can’t wait to see how things will work where she is concerned with the city. If she goes down, they all go down. Caine is a genius at working with pace.  Her writing makes this series too hard to put down and don’t even get me started on anticipating what is to come next.


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenges*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011
Parajunkee's View Vampire Challenge 2011

2 comments:

  1. Oh this series is on my list that I need to get. I've heard great things about it. Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is how it was for me. Everyone was talking about it, I had to see what the fuss was about LOL! Trust me, it is worth the fuss. It is pretty great. I am on book 5 right now. I hope you start it soon. You are welcome and thank you for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D