CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Movie Review: Green Lantern (2011)



Synopsis from IMDB

A test pilot is granted a mystical green ring that bestows him with otherworldly powers, as well as membership into an intergalactic squadron tasked with keeping peace within the universe.



    I watched Green Lantern over the weekend. Now I know I am not the only person who wasn’t 100% on board with this movie to begin with given the whole Deadpool fiasco. But this movie was good, but could have been great. One of the biggest issues with Green Lantern, one word: EDITING.  This movie went out of its way to give you only half of everything. Don’t get me wrong, this movie was fun, had potential and we get to see Ryan Reynolds shirtless. But it doesn’t distract from the fact that this movie fell just shy of hitting greatness. 

     Green Lantern is about a very cocky test pilot named Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds) who doesn’t care much about anything but himself.  After crashing millions of dollars’ worth of planes (for a reason I will rant about later), he gets chosen by a dying alien’s ring to become a green lantern.  Green lanterns are an alien race from space that’s mission is to keep peace.  So cocky and irresponsible Hal now has the options of defending the universe or giving up (which he did and I wanted to punch him for) when a seemingly invincible monster plows through the galaxy heading for Earth.

     This movie had the a lot of potential to be amazing. Problem is every time this movie was given the opportunity to be specular, it fell short. For instance, there was one instance in this movie that had me going, “What the hell?” When Sinestro (Mark Strong) is giving a huge speech to the planet of green lanterns, telling them they have never been defeated and that won’t change when taking on this monster. He is speaking to thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) of green lanterns. So I was like, “Hell yes, this battle will be EPIC!” Ummm, it wasn’t. Instead of taking the entire planet (a planet full of nothing but warriors), Sinestro only takes about five with him. What the f@$#? Seriously?! Like I said, this is a planet of warriors, all of them have been trained to fight, why take five to take down a monster that is invincible and gets more powerful from feeding on your fear. What is thinking there?  

     There is also the villain of the movie, Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard). I didn’t really like the way he was brought in mainly because it shows the government is more stupid than anyone thought. Once they found the dead alien, they brought him into their secret lab and next thing you know, they call Hammond to do an autopsy on the body. While he is investigating the body, he gets cut by something in the body and is infected and is connected to the gigantic monster that is out to destroy them all. Thing is, why would the government not at least check the body out before they bring in an outsider? I understand why they brought him in, but come on, things could have been prevented if they weren’t so lazy about it. I didn’t really like Hammond as a bad guy, he was almost comical. 

     Another thing that was odd was the backstory. We only know a bit about Hal story. This is my little rant. When he crashes the plane, it was because he was remembering how his dad died. This didn’t make sense because it seemed like it was a photo he carried all the time.  I mean you put it there, why did it effect you this time? There was also the fact that all of them were friends, Hal, Hammond and lady friend-past fling Carol Ferris (Blake Lively). But they don’t go into detail what happened between them. I honestly thought (and wished) they went into a sort of Harry Osbourne-Peter Parker thing, but they didn’t even bother.  Maybe I am being picky, but it just didn’t make sense to me to put that little bit in the movie. 

   Now I know I am going on about the things I didn’t like, but there are things I enjoyed about it.  I really enjoyed Reynolds as Green Lantern though. This suited him very well. The personality and all was there.  He made you laugh as always. But for me, Mark Strong was my favorite. Every movie I have seen him in, he is usually the villain, here he was just a hard ass (but if you know anything from the comics, there will be much more to that).  I really wish that he had a bigger part in the movie because I did find him the most compelling; I usually do in every film he is in. He is that good of an actor.

    Overall, I had issues with this. All of which were small, but done too often. Like I said editing was an issue. The movie had a tendency of cutting off things and not going into detail what exactly happened. Also I was surprised by how they gigantic monster died because it was the first thing I thought of to kill the thing in the first place. I mean really? A whole planet of warrior aliens couldn’t think that up? I am also not completely sure on how the thing escaped in the first place. I don’t know it just seemed odd and random. Might have to watch again to get that. Like I said, this movie needed more backstory. If you bring up a character or a little story, complete it, don’t just give me half. The characters were good, the plot was good. But if you take out the big special effects, this movie would have been just fine for a tv special. Issue or not, it is a fun flick and there was enough here that I at least left the theater with a grin on my face.

 
Rating:

5 comments:

  1. Aliens and Ryan Reynolds? Got to watch it. Even if the action does fall short, I can always stare at the six-pack, right? ;)

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jessica - You are welcome :) But that was exactly my thinking. It wasn't a bad movie though, they just didn't reach as far as they should have. But trust me, Ryan Reynolds six-pack is so worth the money LOL! Thank you for the comment hon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll just wait for this in Redbox or Netflix :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Braine - Good call hon. Still, it is worth checking out at least once :) Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm ganna watch it when it comes out on DVD. Because, anything with Ryan shirtless is worth watching. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D