CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, June 17, 2011

Movie Review: Super 8 (2011)






Synopsis from IMDB


In the summer of 1979, a group of friends in a small Ohio town witness a catastrophic train crash while making a super 8 movie and soon suspect that it was not an accident. Shortly after, unusual disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town, and the local Deputy tries to uncover the truth - something more terrifying than any of them could have imagined.



     The moment I saw the teaser of this movie, I knew I would like it. You know why? The answer is simple.  J.J. Abrams. Abrams is one of the few directors that never gives me bullshit. The man is brilliant behind the camera. Not only does he know what it takes to make a good movie, but he knows what it takes to make a good sci-fi movie. That was no exception here. Abrams has brought back a part of my childhood with Super 8. He brought back a phase in moviemaking I haven’t seen since I was a little girl. Obviously, I have found a favorite for this year and possibly, a classic.

     Super 8 is about a group of kids who are working on creating their own zombie film during the Summer. When they are out looking for “production value”, they get a little more than they bargain for when a truck drives on the train tracks in front of a passing train. Thing is, something was on the train and it has escaped and it is terrorizing the town.   The friends make a pact to keep secret all they have seen because they soon find out with the arrival of the military, something huge is happening.

     Oh my God, I loved this movie! It had everything I could have possibly wanted. Action, laughs, mystery, and government conspiracies. It is also a very heartwarming film. I was on the verge of crying a couple of times when watching. This movie’s main character, a little boy named Joe (Joel Courtney) starts off the movie for us. We find out he just lost his mother and his dad, the town sheriff Jackson (Kyle Chandler) is at a complete lost with him. He doesn’t know how to cope and watching the miscommunications and misunderstandings between them in the movie added a lot of emotion for me (yeah I know, chick with daddy issues. Yada yada).

     The movie was well casted. I applaud this movie for being full of great actors. But I especially applaud the amazingly talented kids.  I don’t know what the hell is in the water at the Fanning house, but it is obvious Dakota’s little sister Elle (who played Alice) takes after her. Elle Fanning is just as good of an actress as her older sister.  There was a really nice scene when they were rehearsing for their zombie movie that we got to see that.  Courtney and Fanning were quite the duo in this movie. It is clear they and the young actors in the movie have a future in the acting world.

     But like I said, this movie took me back in time. The plot and just the whole feel of the film gave me that feeling I had when I first saw E.T. It has been said by countless reviewers because it is so true. The movie will take you back to that time of E.T. and The Goonies. See the similarities here?  All from Amblin Entertainment and all with huge connections with the man himself, Steven Spielberg. Abrams really hit the jackpot. Like I said, I really believe this film is a classic.

     This was just a great film. Full of great talent, great storylines, great acting and great special effects made with the Super 8 film format. Yes, that is right. People don’t seem to know what the title means because it didn’t tie in with the plot. Abrams being Abrams was actually making more of a statement with the title. Super 8 is the format he used to make the film that was really popular back in the 60s and 70s. It gives the movie a certain level of grittiness, so due to the time this film was set, it made it more authentic. Just saying for those who are curious.  Also people need to remember the setting to the film and who the characters are. Someone was complaining this movie had some of the worst dialogue ever. Um…hello, this movie was placed in the late 70s. They spoke differently back then and this film is full of kids. I don’t know anyone with half a mind expecting dialogue from preteens to make an uptight English professor proud.  With that being said, if you are a sci-fi geek or a kid at heart like me (on both accounts), this movie will speak to you. If not, you don’t know what you are missing.


Rating:

8 comments:

  1. @Jen - I knew it would be. Besides I was going to watch no matter what. I need my science fiction fix. I was born a sci-fi geek. This fed it and more. Thank you for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what's funny? Joe Hill(Stephen King's son) tweeted the other day that it took him back to the day when he saw ET at the movies for the first time. I took that as a glowing review. Great review! I know I'm gonna love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristin - Thank you hon. Really? He said that too. That is so awesome. I know I am not the only one who thought that. I really thought that this movie was that good. Have you seen it? Can't wait to hear what you think. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Okay, so I haven't heard much about this movie and wasn't sure about it. But this sounds like a great movie. And I love E.T. and Goonies. ;) But sounds like a great movie. Thank you. I'll have to see about seeing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to see this movie. I thought it might scare me too much to write about aliens from the trailers.

    But I love government conspiracies. Going to be brave and watch it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well between your review and Jen's review I must watch this movie. I'm still going to wait until it comes to DVD...I just can't convience myself to spend the money to see it in theaters....but I'm very happy you loved the movie so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Paperback - It is worth the money in theaters, that's for sure. But as long as you see it, that's fine. This really is one of my favorites this year. I plan on seeing it again before it leaves the theaters too. Thanks hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D