CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Book Review: Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires #6) by Rachel Caine

Author: Rachel Caine
Series: The Morganville Vampires
Number in Series: 6
Format: Audiobook
Time: 8 hrs. and 48 mins.
Narrator: Cynthia Halloway
Release Date: June 2, 2009 (audiobook August 31, 2009)
Publisher: Tantor Media
Genre: Young Adult/ Urban Fantasy/ Horror










Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

In the small college town of Morganville, vampires and humans lived in (relative) peace-until all the rules got rewritten when the evil vampire Bishop arrived, looking for the lost book of vampire secrets. He's kept a death grip on the town ever since. Now an underground resistance is brewing, and in order to contain it, Bishop must go to even greater lengths. He vows to obliterate the town and all its inhabitants-the living and the undead. Claire Danvers and her friends are the only ones who stand in his way. But even if they defeat Bishop, will the vampires ever be content to go back to the old rules, after having such a taste of power?



     Carpe Corpus is book 6 in my new favorite series, The Morganville Vampires. It gave us some things that we have been wanting.  It feels good to say I was pretty satisfied with them except one.  But given how Lord of Misrule ended, I was scared to this because it seemed like the end of the world for our great group of friends. But one thing I can always count on, a town full of power-hungry (and just plain hungry) vampires would not keep these guys separated. 

     This book started off sort of depressing. Like I said, after Lord of Misrule, I was so freaked out for Claire and what would become of her. You see, Claire is possessed by the scariest vampire of them all, Bishop.  Surprisingly though, the shock has died down (a little) and now Claire is celebrating her seventeenth birthday with her parents.  Just her parents. Given all that has happened; Eve, Michael, and Shane are otherwise occupied with other things. Eve thinks Claire sold her soul, Michael is also under Bishop’s control and Shane is in a vampire-operated prison. So Claire is not in a celebrating mood. 

      So given all that is going on, she doesn’t know who to trust anymore. Everyone is either kissing up to her or scared to death of her and Claire doesn’t like it either way. But little does Claire know that she and Michael play a vital role in the scheme of things. Amelie and my absolute favorite character Myrnin are hard at work on a major plan and they can’t afford to get a step wrong. 

     Next to book 2, Dead Girls’ Dance, I think this one might be my favorite so far. The characters are always something I rave about with these books and it couldn’t be truer. The friends show that there may be trust issues between them, but they still lay their lives’ on the line for each other. I was the most surprised with Eve who thought all her friends abandoned her and move to the dark side, but she still pulled through. In this book we also got to see more of Amelie. We see she isn’t the ice queen she leads people to believe.  

     And Myrnin. Oh how I love Myrnin. I recently asked Ms. Caine via Twitter if Myrnin would be getting his own book. She said she loves him too, but he is best as a secondary character. Too crazy for his own book. I don’t mind crazy (which I said to her), but I understand that.  But that should tell you exactly what you are dealing with. Myrnin isn’t a villain and he really proved that in this book (in case there was doubt). He is insanely charming, unpredictable, neurotic, and he is always on the right side. God I love Myrnin!

     The plot was great, of course. We are given more twists and turns in this book, you don’t know who to trust and who will stab you in the back. We got a lot of action in this book. It seemed like whenever there was the supposed “downtime”, it was when things got to their creepiest really. But I loved it all. This book really grabbed me because there was a lot more going on, a lot more mystery and suspense. Don’t want to give too much of the story away, but just get prepared to start flinging curses near the end.

     Don’t know what more to add here. This was just a great read (err listen). So many things going on, no way you get bored. Also must let you know, Claire finally loses the big V to Shane. I really like this scene because Caine made it very appropriate, considering. So I am really interested in seeing how much further their relationship will go. I mean, Shane isn’t a dog (use to be), but you know how it works on tv and all. After it happens, a wedge appears out of nowhere. But this book ended well (very sad), but well and I really want to see what will come of Morganville with Amelie in her current state. God it is hard not spoil this. Ok I am done.


Rating:





*This book belongs to the following challenges*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011
Parajunkee's View Vampire Challenge 2011

2 comments:

  1. Yep, still noted that I need to try this series out! LOL. I see that you are still loving it so I'm sure I'd really enjoy it!

    P.S. The good news is I can finally open your blog at work without it crashing the internet. YAY! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I don't know what was going on there. But happy it isn't happeneing still. But I am loving this series. I hope you start it soon. But get to the BDB first. Don't hold off on that one. You need to get to those hot men pronto! LOL! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D