CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Book Review: Darklight (Wondrous Strange #2) by Lesley Livingston

Author: Lesley Livingston
Series: Wondrous Strange
Number in Series: 2
Format: Ebook (ePub)
Pages: 209
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: December 22, 2009
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Young Adult/Paranormal Romance/Supernatural











Buy here:


Synopsis from Indie Bound

Faerie can’t lie . . . so they say

Despite the allure of the Faerie magick now coursing through her veins, Kelley Winslow’s just trying to get her New York City life back to normal. That means theater rehearsals for Romeo and Juliet and nightclub outings with roommate Tyff, even though Kelley misses gorgeous changeling Sonny Flannery so much her heart could burst. But Kelley’s newfound abilities have not gone unnoticed by malevolent eyes.

When a terrifying encounter in Central Park hurls Kelley into the Faerie Otherworld, her reunion with Sonny is joyful but all too brief. For Kelley and Sonny have been plunged into a game of Faerie deception and wavering allegiances in which the next move could topple a kingdom . . . or tear them apart.



     It has been half a year for out Faerie (and not so faerie) friends in New York. After suffering through the devastation of the Wild Hunt, Kelley wants her boyfriend, Sonny, back. Sonny, unfortunately, has a duty to fulfill. He is now a fighter for King Auberon, Kelley’s father. Because of a mistake made in Wondrous Strange (book 1), he can’t come back unless he kills the remaining Hunters of the Wild Hunt started by Kelley’s mother, Queen Mabh. So while Kelley is missing Sonny, she thinks she will have some success in seeing him in Central Park. Central Park is where the gate between the mortal world and the Fae world has cracked and things are beginning to creep through the cracks. Unfortunately for Kelley, none of them are Sonny.

     I really enjoyed this book. Although I don’t think I liked it quite as much as Wondrous Strange. I love Kelley, but she had a knack for getting herself into trouble. Her going back to the park and getting attacked in the middle of the night made me want to punch her. She has the Janus Guard, but she never took them with her when she ventured into the park where she was always being hunted and that made me want to punch her sometimes. But I love that she is getting into her Fae power which helps her. Whenever we have characters just discovering who they are, they are always apprehensive about working with their powers. They are usually frightened of the fact that they aren’t human. But Kelley grew up fast and learned about her powers. I like that Livingston did that.

     I loved all the characters in this. I am a huge Puck (aka Bob) fan. He oozes plenty of personality. Actually, dare I say, he reminds me a bit of Myrnin from the Morganville Vampires series. But my favorite character was Fennrys Wolf. He is not quite Sonny’s friend, but he is also a guard who grew up in a court, the Spring court. Sonny doesn’t like seeing him around Kelley, but knows he is best to look out after her while he is working for Auberon. I loved Fenn, He cracked me up and he was hot. As the story progresses though, I have the feeling Fennrys is up to something. I don’t want to give out my suspicions, but something was off when Fenn returns later in the book after a strange hiatus. I can’t wait for more of his story.

     I liked the plots in the book. The one plot we really finish is the fight with the greenmen though. The others definitely have more to them, but we weren’t given much of those yet. There is a terrible secret about Sonny and what he really is. We also find out that the Greenmen aren’t the only ones they should be afraid of. Kelley’s friend and roommate Tyffanwy (aka Tyff) knows something that she took drastic steps to not tell Kelley and I have a feeling it has something to do with Tyff’s supposedly good friend, Titania, may have her own agenda. Problem is, we don’t find out what it is. There is also the issue with Kelley’s dad being sick and the fact that he may have been poisoned since the Fae don’t really get sick. But again, not much was revealed here.

    This was a great book. As I said before, I mainly started this series because of the covers. Shallow, I know, but come on, they are gorgeous. Redheads always get great covers. Am I the only that noticed that or is it just me? As much as I enjoyed the book, the ending made me want to scream. It wasn’t bad or anything just made me insanely sad. The next book, Tempestuous, is the last in the series. So I am hoping all the doubts brought up in this book will be brought to light. There is obviously plenty of betrayal, but again, we will have to see where it will lead. But this book was full of magic and amazing characters, both good and bad. This book was just about raising suspicions and so I believe Tempestuous will pack a big punch considering all that was left unsaid (and said) in Darklight.
    

Rating:



*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is another series I want to get into. And I've really enjoyed the fey books lately. :) Sorry it wasn't as amazing as the first book, but sounds like it was a great read too. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review Diana! I might need to check into this series. I do agree Red Heads get awesome covers. Sometimes I wish I was a red head. LOL. Glad you are enjoying this series so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deanna - Thank you hon. You should check this series out. I was on a Faerie high after the Fever series when I started this. Trust me, it is quite the read. Not as crazy mysterious or sexy as Fever, but great all the same. Hope you check it out and happy I am not the only one that noticed the redhead thing LOL! Thank you for the comment again hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D