CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, July 25, 2011

Book Review: Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum #2) by Janet Evanovich

Author: Janet Evanovich
Series: Stephanie Plum
Number in Series: 2
Format: Audiobook
Time: 2 hrs. and 44 mins.
Narrator: Lori Petty
Release Date: January 10, 1996 (audiobook: July 1, 2004)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Genre: Mystery/Crime/Thriller/Humor









Buy here:


Synopsis from Indie Bound

THIS ONE’S DOUBLE THE FUN

Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is still learning the ropes at her cousin Vinnie’s bail bond office, so when she sets out on the trail of Kenny Mancuso—a suspiciously wealthy, working-class Trenton boy who has just shot his best friend—the stakes are higher than ever. That Mancuso is distantly related to vice cop Joe Morelli—who is trying to beat Stephanie to the punch—only makes the hunt more thrilling. . . . 

Taking pointers from her bounty hunter pal, Ranger, and using her pistol-packing Grandma Mazur as a decoy, Stephanie is soon closing in on her mark. But Morelli and his libido are worthy foes. And a more sinister kind of enemy has made his first move . . . and his next move might be Stephanie’s last.


     What happens when you are offered $10000 to search for coffins? Well you take it, duh! This is exactly what happens to our great Plum in the second installment of the Stephanie Plum series, Two for the Dough. Plum is still getting the hang of the bounty hunting thing searching for a man who shot a friend of his. But by chance, due to crazy Grandma Mazur’s obsession with funerals, Plum is offered a job to find 24 missing coffins. But it comes to Plum’s attention that the man she was already looking for might be involved with the coffins and he just happens to be related to Joe Morelli, fellow cop and Plum’s old fling.

     I actually think I like this book more than the first one. I ended up with the abridged version yet again which means I missed plenty but the basics. Still doesn’t mean this was any less amazing. It was funnier and the plot was a little more action packed and fast paced. Evanovich did such a great job, yet again. Plum is still unlearned, but she is getting things done with help from friends and non-friends. I like that even though Plum seems to attract trouble, she pulls through things like you wouldn’t believe. I love that she isn’t an absolute expert at it yet. It is nice to follow her through her experience. The way she goes about things is a bit unconventional, but she gets things done.

     As much as I love Plum though; Grandma Mazur stole the show for me in this book. Even when a scene is supposed to be sad or awful even, the things she does and say had me in tears from laughing so hard. For instance, as I mentioned, she has a thing for going to funerals. She follows the obituaries in the newspapers like no one’s business. It is her weird form of entertainment.  Now as you can guess there are rules at these viewings, but she always manages to break them. For example, there was a closed casket viewing of a man who was shot, but Grandma Mazur wanted to see the bullet holes. So she just happened to trip on the rug, hit the lid of the coffin and it just happened to pop open. Then there was the scene with the mailed penis. Don’t even get me started on the Jewish penis. I know this is weird, but trust me, it was funny. Grandma Mazur is a relentless, conniving, gun-slinging old lady. And you are going to love her for it. 

    The bad guy Kenny was creepy as hell and I couldn’t believe he was related to Joe. I think Plum handled him well even though I think was silly trying to take him down on her own. But she had help in some unlikely places. I like Joe sometimes, but like Plum, you can’t get over the feeling he always has an agenda. He always seems to know where Plum is on her stakeouts, what she is doing. When she found out how, I love the way she took her revenge. Worst way for any man, funny as hell to any woman.

     Overall, don’t miss this book. Actually, don’t miss this series. Like I said, this was better than One for the Money which I completely loved. We get to know more of our characters. We get more action. We get more laughs. Also anything that involves an old lady pulling a gun out of her purse during a chase is pure gold as far as I am concerned. 


Rating:

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried audio books but after reading your reviews for this series maybe i'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll let you in on a little secret. Grandma Mazur frequently steals the show.

    This is a great series whether you read it or listen to the audio version.

    When you get further into the series, I want to know what team you're on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Braine - I never thought I would listen to audiobooks, but they are pretty fun especially this one. Lori Petty does a great job. She makes the characters sound exactly like how I would think they would. She really can pull off Jersey. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    @Jessica - I am beginning to notice that. Grandma Mazur is amazing. I can't wait to get further. The more grandma, the better LOL! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another 5 star...Diana, you're killing me! Can you please start reading books you really don't like?! :-P Actually I'd never seriously hope that on anyone because reading is just awesome if you can find books you love all the time. But man...I need to start this series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Deanna - LOL! I would never do such a thing LOL! But I am happy to love so many of these, just makes me mad I waited so freaking long LOL! Hope you start this soon. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Grandma Mazur LOL! Thanks again hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree Deanna, you're entirely too positive about your reviews. You love everything! (I'm secretly jealous, I wish I was less critical and could enjoy things more!). I read the first of these books, but have yet to read this one. I'm about 1/3 of the way through Evanovich's new series "Wicked Appetite", so far it's just alright. BUT you'd probably love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Hey Lady - Hey Lady, long time, no talk :) How have you been? That is not true, I don't love everything, I am just good with my pros and cons LOL! I haven't started Evanovich's other series yet, but I will check it out. And don't pick on me LOL! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww! I tease because I love! If I didn't like I wouldn't tease you! You're good with the pros, less with the cons. Sometime we should get together and review something, you do the pros, I'll do the cons!
    And really I wish I could be more like you! I want to love stuff as much as you do. I'm such a "glass half empty" kind of person, it's terrible (see? glass half empty on this subject too).

    ANYWAY, I finished "Wicked Appetite" and it was a fun time, nothing epic or super memorable, but fun ad a really fast read. You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D