CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Review: White Cat (Curse Workers #1) by Holly Black

Author: Holly Black
Series: Curse Workers
Number in Series: 1
Format: Audiobook
Time: 6 hrs. and 40 mins.
Narrator: Jesse Eisenberg
Release Date: January 1, 2010 (audiobook: May 11, 2010)
Publisher: Listening Library
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Young Adult/Mystery











Buy here:



Synopsis from Goodreads


Cassel comes from a family of curse workers — people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all mobsters, or con artists. Except for Cassel. He hasn't got the magic touch, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail — he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago. 

Ever since, Cassel has carefully built up a façade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his façade starts crumbling when he starts sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things, too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him, caught up in a mysterious plot. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he also wonders what really happened to Lila. Could she still be alive? To find that out, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen. 

Holly Black has created a gripping tale of mobsters and dark magic where a single touch can bring love — or death — and your dreams might be more real than your memories.
 
    
     I have been hearing great things about this book. I have even heard it is to be made into a film soon. Black’s books are no stranger to the big screen and I must say, I can see this in the movie theater. It may be paranormal, but it almost feels like real life. Crazy friends and even more crazy family members. White Cat had a unique take on the paranormal world. I hope Hollywood gets it right.

     White Cat is about a world where people have special powers. Not superheroes or anything, but they have the power to persuade others. They can change or simply take away what they want to gain what they please. These people are known as curse workers and what they do is against the law since most of them work as con artists. The power comes through their hands so everyone wears gloves, for some it is a must because their power is more dangerous than others.  Our lead character, Cassel, is from a family of these con artists, but he doesn’t possess any powers like the rest of them. So one night he is sleepwalking and ends up on the roof of a building. But he is led by a suspicious white cat. Through finding the cat, he discovers secrets and lies that were held from him by those he thought he could trust.

    I really enjoyed this book. I got the audiobook version of this from the library and was surprised to see actor Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network, Zombieland) was the narrator. I love Eisenberg, so it made me more eager to listen to the audiobook. But within a few pages of him reading the book, I understood why he was chosen. Eisenberg is Cassel. Eisenberg has his own style in every movie he is in and it came through while he read this book. Cassel’s mannerisms, the smart ass comments, everything was there and it is exactly like Jesse Eisenberg. They did a great choice choosing him. Since this is going to be a movie, I can see Eisenberg as Cassel, it makes sense to me.

     I loved the characters in this book. They may have powers and all, but they were real. I especially loved Cassel. He may not be the everyday criminal like the rest of his family, but he was very smart. I like that he doesn’t immediately right off what was happening to him. He quickly catches in to the fact something big is happening around him and the cat is actually trying to tell him. I like that our main character isn’t perfect, after all he is a professional con man and can trick everyone including his own friends. But trust me, that isn’t as awful as it might sound considering what his family has been up to.

     I love the way the story progresses.  We find that Cassel’s past is awful and it never left him. He was and still is being accused of a girl’s murder. A girl named Lila he loved a few years back. He soon becomes even more curious about why he can’t remember exactly what happened that night. He only knows what his family has told him.

     I don’t want to spoil you, but this book is pretty incredible.  I love the alternate world Black has created.  The characters are intriguing and captivating. White Cat is full of secrets, lies and betrayals. There is plenty of mystery from in this book. Once things are solved, you won’t believe it. This was another surprise for me this week and I hate that it has taken me so long to grab this book. Like I said, Hollywood, you better get this right.


Rating: 





*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011

4 comments:

  1. Great review Diana! I can't put this one on my TBR list even though it sounds good. I'll have to see what you think of the next book first. :-D Glad you enjoyed the audio version of the book and he's such a great actor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my wish list...Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deanna - I hope the next one will be just as good and I will probably get the audiobook version again. Eisenberg did such a great job. He is a great actor.

    @Rain - Thanks hon, hope you get this soon :)

    Thank you guys so much for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, great! :) I have this book here and need to get to it. So glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D