CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Indie Book Review: Fresh Blood by Jennifer Colgan

Author: Jennifer Colgan
Format: Epub
Release Date: February 13, 2011
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Paranormal Romance
















Get for FREE here:

Buy here:
Amazon (apart of the Immortal Lovers anthology)



Synopsis from Goodreads

A desperate call from her missing sister sends Erica Talbot on a dangerous rescue mission. Determined to prevent her twin from becoming a feeder, Erica steps out of her quiet, lonely existence and into a dark underworld where vampires make the rules.

Maxwell Hart is a vampire investigator. Part of his job is to protect humans. The moment he lays eyes on Erica, he knows she doesn’t belong in his world, but that doesn’t stop him from wanting her there.

With Max as her guide, Erica descends into a world where humans willingly give up control to their vampire masters. Posing as Max’s submissive feeder, Erica discovers a strange freedom in relinquishing her hard won self-control to Max.

After just one taste of Erica’s blood, Max finds he hungers for no one else. How can he possess her when drawing her deeper into his dark world will change her forever?



     Fresh Blood is a short story I got because I saw the cover and saw vampires. That is all it took. I had no idea what this was about. But I am happy my ignorance has worked in my favor. This was a pretty good book, a little over 100 pages, and best of all, it is FREE. But I would have gladly paid full price for this.

     Fresh Blood is about a woman named Erica who is out on the town. But she isn’t out to have fun; she is out to find her sister, her twin, Elena. Erica is scared for her sister because even though Elena is always doing things she is not supposed to, this time she was in real trouble. So while Erica is out at a vampire bar (yes, they know they exist), she sticks out like a sore thumb. That is how she meets an investigator (and vampire) named Maxwell Hart. He knows by the looks of Erica, she will get herself killed the way she is going. So he offers to help her. 

     I will have to tread very carefully with this because one slip, I could give away a twist and there were a few. Nonetheless, this was a really great read. I love that Max took the time out to help Erica because considering the places she had to go, she would have been someone’s dinner (or dessert).  He showed Erica the ropes and how dominant he is supposed to be. I loved that when we see what happens when Erica misbehaves, it was hot as hell.

      I love the plot of the story. Had a couple of “Holy shit, that didn’t just happen” moments. Colgan is amazing with pace and tension. There was a lot of suspense and it really kept me in the world she created.

       Something I didn’t like however was that we don’t get enough backstory from our characters. I mean I have a feel for Erica. She is so devoted to her sister and trying to save her (all the time). We know that she is quite conservative, but we don’t know more than that really. But it is worse with Max. He is a vampire and he mentions in a sentence of what happened to him and that was it. One thing I love about vampire stories is there history. I like knowing how they came to be and we don’t get that. We know that he misses being human and all, but I just would have liked more history. 

       Also something I wasn’t a fan of was the villain. With everything that happened, when we get to the villain, it wasn’t as big as I wanted it to be. I didn’t even find him as interesting as I did his concubine because she did most of the work really. The way things ended though was pretty good, so I wasn’t disappointed, but that was because of the surprise mostly.

      Overall, this was pretty good. I went into this blind and came out a fan. This was a really good book. Couldn’t believe this was free. This book had a lot of suspense, twists, and turns. It really kept me on the edge of my seat and it was pretty hot. If you are looking for a pretty exciting paranormal romance, I think this is a pretty good choice. Also this isn't necessarily a series, but be sure to get part 2 following Max's friend Lucas, La Vida Muerta


Rating:





 
*This book belongs to the following challenge* 

2 comments:

  1. Great review Diana. This book was FREE and you loved it that much?! That is awesome. :-) Sounds like a great read, my only question is...is this a short story that is starting out a series or was it just a fun standalone?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much on. This book is still for free, so get it now if you want it. It is a short story and does have a part 2 (just added that bit, my bad), but it isn't a series. Maybe a spin-off really. But it follows a character from the book I was curious about, so I hope to get to his story soon. Thank you for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D