CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Indie Book Review: Predators of Darkness: Aftermath (Darkness #1) by Leonard D. Hilley II

Author: Leonard D. Hilley II
Series: Darkness
Number in Series: 1
Format: Ebook (ePub)
Pages: 233
Publisher: Outskirts Press
Release Date: April 11, 2007
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Horror/Dystopian/Science Fiction/Thriller/Mystery











Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads


Fear What Lurks In The Shadows
The desolate streets of downtown Pittsburgh in 2073 are a reminder of the missile attack that forever changed the lives of the surviving scientists and students hidden in the fallout shelter of Helmsby's Genetic Research Center. Believing themselves to be the only survivors, they station themselves inside the center until food supplies near depletion. Thinking the fallout has lessened, they emerge three years later to discover strange creatures patrolling the streets in search of human flesh and blood. The creatures possess the ability to shift their genomes and alter their appearances by realigning their genetic sequences. Daniel Hutchinson, their leader, teams with Lucas Ridale and together they set out to scavenge the area for food and supplies with the hope to find other survivors. But Daniel's most recent journey uncovers mysteries more frightening than the shifters. He discovers the tip of Pittsburgh has been fenced off from the rest of the area. Low-flying helicopters observe the streets, making him ponder the question: Were the shifters released as simply part of a military experiment with humans being their prey?



     I didn’t know what to expect when I got this book from the author. Again, just wanted to read it, didn’t bother reading the summary. Well that wouldn’t have made a difference because the description isn’t enough to show how incredible this was. I don’t think I have come across a book with this many layers. You think you have things figured out until you are given a curveball out of nowhere. This was such an amazing experience; I can’t wait to start the next one.

      Predators of Darkness: Aftermath is about a group of survivors in the city of Pittsburg. Pittsburg has been hit by a nuclear missile and thanks to a well prepared scientist on a school campus, he gathers as much people as he can. This group of people has been in hiding for three years. They are running low on supplies and have to be extra careful when leaving their sanctuary. You see, after the missile attack, strange creatures quickly roamed the streets. They are called shifters. They are quick and very difficult to kill. If they aren’t taken down, they eat you. If you are a woman, they rape you and then they eat you. This is why women aren’t allowed to leave. But it seems that makes no difference when they find out that there is a murderer amongst them and the one person that knew that did it, was attack by the seemingly impossible flying shifter.

     But after a seemingly normal scavenger hunt, our lead Daniel comes back with nothing. His best friend Lucas, however, brings back plenty of supplies and a woman named Lydia who quickly takes an interest in Daniel. Their stories don’t make sense and they are all suspicious of them. Daniel has to figure out who the murderer is that is living amongst them, try to figure out if his best friend and the new woman are worth trusting and worse, he is slowly finding out his friend and scientist that saved all their lives has been holding very valuable information from them all. Information that can save all their lives.

     I LOVED THIS!!! I honestly could not believe I have not heard of this before. Actually I can’t believe this isn’t a movie yet. There seems to be a lot going on, but it actually ties in together so beautifully it nearly brought a tear to my eye. There is so much suspense in this book it might kill you. You honestly will be surprised; every page will leave you with your mouth hanging wide open.

     The plot of Predators of Darkness is deep and complex. I absolutely must compliment Hilley for a plot like this. So layered and insane. I am trying to be careful with what I say here because the plot is full of surprises and one wrong thing will give it away. But trust me; you won’t see half of things coming until they knock you over.

     The characters are engaging. I loved Daniel. He was strong and cared for his friends. He always has his guard up and he is smart. My favorite character was actually Julia. She is in love with Daniel, but she is scared to tell him. She comes off so timid and shy, but she is a tough cookie. She does so many little things in this book to protect Daniel that he doesn’t know about. I love that she is always protecting him when he is making a big mistake. 

    Overall, read this book. Immediately! It is sci-fi, but it is incredibly realistic and scary. It is dark, well-paced, and suspenseful.  Man I wish I can say more, but like I said, you won’t see the awesomeness until it hits you. I won’t spoil you, but I am close to doing so. I could talk about this forever. I promise you will have a hard time putting this down. Mr. Hilley, you are brilliant!


Rating:
+1




*This book belongs to the following challenge*

11 comments:

  1. Another book to add to my wish list. I'm glad you reviewed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. INDIE BOOKS, YES. I'm always in search of these for my blog, thank=you~

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rain - Glad to help out :D I am very happy I read this. Really was more than I expected. I hope you get the chance to check it out. Thank you for the comment hon :)

    @Natalie - I know! I have a lot of indie books to read and I am happy I started this one. This was truly incredible. Hope you read it too, can't wait to see the review on your blog :) Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got to love these little surprises don't you. :) So glad you loved this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Melissa - Thank you hon, glad you liked the review. I know, I love a good surprise. Thanks so much for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to add this one to my TBR. :) Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jessica - You are welcome hon. Hope you do catch this soon. It was awesome. I know you are a sci-fi geek like me, so I know you'll love it :) Thank you for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! A 5 star (+1)! I'm definitely intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a very cool book! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heading right now to place this on my TBR list and see how much it is on Amazon...Thanks for the awesome review, it sounds so entertaining and I love a good suspense! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Kristin - It is very intriguing. Hope you get it soon. It is only $3 :)

    @Julie - Thank you hon, it is pretty cool. Glad you liked it.

    @Deanna - Glad you bought it hon. Hope you love it as much as I do It is pretty entertaining. No lie :)

    Thank you all for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D