CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Book Review: Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo #2) by Adrian Phoenix

Author: Adrian Phoenix
Series: Hoodoo
Number in Series; 2
Format: Ebook (Nook)
Release Date : June 28, 2011
Publisher: Pocket
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance














Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads


“An eye for an eye is never enough.”
 
Kallie Rivière, a Cajun hoodoo apprentice with a bent for trouble, learned the meaning of those ominous words when hoodoo bogeyman Doctor Heron targeted her family for revenge. Now, while searching for her still-missing bayou pirate cousin, Kallie finds out the hard way that someone is undoing powerful gris gris, which means that working magic has become as unpredictable as rolling a handful of dice. The wards woven to protect the Gulf coast are unraveling, leaving New Orleans and the surrounding bayous vulnerable just as an unnatural storm—the deadliest in a century—is born. As the hurricane powers toward the heart of all she loves, Kallie desperately searches for the cause of the disturbing randomness, only to learn a deeply unsettling truth: the culprit may be herself. To protect her family and friends, including the sexy nomad Layne Vallin, Kallie steps into the jaws of danger . . . and finds a loup garou designed to steal her heart—literally.


      Black Heart Loa picks up immediately after Black Dust Mambo. Kallie is on the search for her cousin, Jackson, who has been kidnapped. It is up to her to find out by who and why. She has a feeling it is connected to Doctor Heron, but there is a lot more going on than anyone knows. While being robbed by two idiot robbers named Cash and Kerry, they find out that Jackson is in bigger trouble than they thought and they are running out of time. The hoodoos quickly try a spell to help get rid of the robbers. But it backfires, as a matter of fact, all magic is backfiring and it is because of Kallie. Magic backfiring wouldn’t be so bad if not for the magic holding hurricanes at bay might be the reason one is set to destroy Louisiana and it all might be because of Kallie’s loa.

     Now everyone knows of my love for Black Dust Mambo. I am such a huge fan of Adrian Phoenix, so I had very high expectations for Black Heart Loa. And well, my expectations were met and more. All my favorite characters were back and we have a few new ones I am very interested in. We get a backstory of Jackson’s past that had me In tears and find out Jackson is way more than just a pirating human.

     This book was full of action. So much is going on, it is impossible to be bored with this. Kallie and Belladonna (the world’s greatest best friend, by the way) are trying to find Jackson who has had a spell put on him to turn him into a zombie. Kallie is battling with a badass hoodoo spirit named Baron who has accidentally taken over Cash body, but Kallie’s loa might be more powerful than the Baron himself. Layne (and Augustine) are fighting to get rid of an unwanted to spirit trying to overtake them. Kallie needs to figure out why the loa was put in her body and where her mother stashed her soul and now Kallie is being chased down by a sexy demon wolf who may want to kill her or sleep with her. Phew!

    What is so great about this series is that there is so much to grab you. Phoenix talent for storytelling is incredibly rich. And with all I just mentioned, that is just the surface. There was one chapter in this book where we meet a new woman who has her eyes set on Kallie and her family. We don’t know what her agenda is or why she wants her, but I know this will only get juicier. 

    The characters, of course, are too fantastic! Layne is out to get vengeance for his best friend Gage, who died at the beginning of Black Dust Mambo. He gets knocked out and was unconscious for a lot of the book. But when he wakes up, he was as charming as ever. We get a little of Dallas as well. He is still in the hospital and not even having his throat slit in half stops him from being a perv. Kallie is such an amazing heroine; she does everything she can to save her friends and family. Doesn’t wait for others to take up the slack. I love that. But my favorite is Belladonna. This book can get intense, but even in scary moments, Belladonna will put a smile on your face. Like I said, she is the greatest best friend ever. If you were in trouble, she would be the best person to have by your side. The chemistry between these characters is just brilliant. They are so well-balanced especially between Kallie and Belladonna.

    You must, MUST, start this series. It will never let up and puts you through the ringer. We get quite a few surprises that I didn’t see coming. And we finally get a sex scene between Kallie and Layne (which lasted several hours). But the love story still isn’t quite 100% between them. Given what they have gone through, I understand, but I love the simmer. I can’t wait until the connection gets deeper because it is there. Like I said, you won’t get bored with this and you will be on the edge of your seat from page 1. Definitely on my top list for this year. Thank you again Ms. Phoenix.
     

Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenge*

6 comments:

  1. This sounds exciting. I need to squeeze this in my to-read list. Thanks for the reco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do hon. I looooove this series so much. It is a must read. Definitely read Black Dust Mambo soon. You can't miss the wet boxers contest LOL! Thank you for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, wet boxers contest. I promise you will love that scene. The whole book is great, but hot dudes in wet boxers tend to stick with us ladies LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to her book signing for this one and bought the first one as well as I hadn't yet read it. I really enjoyed her reading a piece of it as well as the next one (that comes out next year). I really need to get busy reading the series now! Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Candace - I know. So happy you had fun. She read part of the next book?! Oh man you are killing me right now. You really should get on board. This is a great series. Really action packed and sexy. Layne is one of my top book boyfriends :D Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D