CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

April Releases

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Book Review: Fallen (Fallen #1) by Lauren Kate

Author: Lauren Kate
Series: Fallen
Number in Series: 1
Format: Audiobook
Time: 10 hrs. and 56 mins.
Narrator: Justine Eyre
Release Date: December 8, 2009 (audiobook: December 8, 2009)
Publisher: Listen Library
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Young Adult/Urban Fantasy/Horror









Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.



     Fallen is about a young girl named Lucinda “Luce” Price. She has a past, a past she can’t quite remember.  She was involved in the death of a young guy named Trevor. She can’t remember what happened. All she remembers are the shadows that were there. The shadows have been following her all her life. So Luce’s parents send her to a reform school. At this school, Sword & Cross, she uncovers secrets she never imagined and a lot of them are connected to her.

     Now like lots of other people, the cover is what really got me on wanting to read this book. It is beautiful and dark. Problem is, what’s inside is not as dark as the cover would lead you to believe. The shadows in the book weren’t even the main antagonist. The actual antagonist was someone you would not have seen coming, which was great, but disappointed me a bit where others were concerned.

     The characters weren’t bad. The main character Luce wasn’t a favorite for me. It wasn’t that she was awful or anything, she was just selfish. There was a point in the book where someone died trying to save her, but instead of mourning his death at his funeral, she is worried about her love life. At least she actually pointed it out, but doesn’t erase the other times she did it. Daniel the main guy in the story, wants nothing to do with her, but for some reason, he and Luce are connected. I liked this part of the story, but there is much more to it than what we are given, so it felt unfinished.

     Cam is the other guy who is after Luce and he actually likes her, but she leads him on throughout the book. The whole time she is with him, she is thinking about Daniel, the guy that doesn’t like her.  Arian was a good character. She brought some spunk to the story, but my favorite was Penny. She sort of reminded me of Velma from Scooby Doo. She was smart and knew everything about everyone and if she didn’t, she would find out soon enough.  

    It took until about halfway until this book actually got into the plot. The first half was of Luce getting adjusted to the school, worrying about boys, and trying to ignore the shadows. But even when we get to the second half and find out what truly is going on; it still didn’t make much sense to me. I don’t want to give anything away, but there is a war going on and in the book they say there is never a winner. They can’t kill each other. Okay…then why try? And I am still not a 100% onboard with how it ties in with the love story. I like the idea behind the love story, but we weren’t given enough backstory on how it truly works.  But I think that is something that will be slowly revealed in the next book.  Daniel has a huge story and we were just given a glimpse of it. There is much more there.

    Overall, this wasn’t bad, but it needed more. I got the audiobook version to this, but I know the book is about 450 pages. But a lot of that didn’t add much to the story when you get down to it. But this is a debut, so I am taking it as a way of us just getting our feet wet. I hope I will be able to dive into the next one. Without the paranormal aspect of this book, most of it felt like reading a teenage girl’s diary; crushes, school, pretty girl in school who is trying to take your crush.  I am definitely going to start Torment (book 2) very soon. This was a good debut, but it didn’t knock me out of my chair.


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I have this book waiting on my Kobo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first in the trilogy right? I hope the other two are good. Thanks for the head's up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I've been avoiding this one. There may be a good reason for this:) Life's too short for books that are just meh, yes?

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Diana! This is definitely a time where I will wait to see what you think of book 2 before deciding if I want to read it or not. :-) Glad you gave it a try, and I'm glad you enjoy audio books so much...I have a hard time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Braine - I hope the other two are good as well. I also see why this is becoming a movie, this book has a sort of Twilight-esque feel. Not as awful, none of the characters annoyed me that much, but I have a feeling the movie will definitely go in that direction. Hope to get part 2 after this book I am reading now.

    @Kristin - You are welcome hon. I will continue it. There was so much left unsaid in this book, no way in hell I am not going to find out what it is. I just hope the other two have more oompf LOL! You should give it a try, just too see if you would like it though. You never know.

    @Deanna- Thanks hon. I use to think I wouldn't like audiobooks because my attention span isn't up to par, but they are pretty great. Also helps for me to get through my TBR list faster LOL! But when I get to book 2, I will definitely let you guys know if it got better or worse.

    Thank you all for the comments. You guys are the best :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha! If the heroine is as much of a pansy as Edward Cullen and as boy-crazy as Bella I'm dropping it! Wow after that I might not read this at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Braine - Oh trust me, Daniel is miles better than Edward. He doesn't act like a lost puppy and actually does something. He is an alpha in the making I think. Luce had some Bella-like traits, I won't lie. But she does stick with her friends and isn't a complete idiot, so there is definitely hope LOL! Like I said, I will let you guys know how book 2 is, if it isn't any better, then be cautious LOL! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just when I said you weren't good as "cons", I stand corrected. I really felt like I understood the positives and negatives after reading this review. And you pointed out something that really bothers me about books, when the love story feels like there isn't enough information, or it feels rushed and unrealistic. I'm glad you mentioned that. I'll anxiously await your review of the next book before diving into this one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a starter book. But not bad. I have it on my want list, but haven't got it yet. Sounds like Luce has a lot of growing to do as a character. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Melissa - Luce definitely has some growing up to do, I hope she does or I will quickly discard this LOL! Thank you for the comment hon, hope you like this when you get the chance to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D