CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, August 29, 2011

Book Review: The Host (The Host #1) by Stephenie Meyer

Author: Stephenie Meyer
Series: The Host
Number in Series: 1
Format: Audiobook
Time: 23 hrs. and 5 mins.
Narrator: Kate Reading
Release Date: May 6, 2008 (audiobook: May 9, 2008)
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Genre: Science Fiction/Paranormal Romance/Fantasy










Buy here:

Synopsis from Indie Bound

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves-Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring what may be the first love triangle involving only two bodies, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel that will bring a vast new readership to one of the most compelling writers of our time.



     Sometime in the future, humans will be taken over by aliens, but not the way they do in the movies. Their “spirits” would take over the mind of a human. They would have complete control over their minds and bodies. Or so they thought. When an alien who has lived on eight different planets inside of various animals and plants invades a human named Melanie, things get a little sticky. Melanie was on the verge of death and when her body was taken by the spirit known as Wanderer, Melanie has no intention of giving up that easily. Wanderer (soon nicknamed Wanda) finds out that what she knows of humans isn’t what she has been taught. Wanda also teaches the humans that not all aliens are untrustworthy. 

     Ok, this was pretty hard for me to rate. I finished this 2 weeks ago actually and have been contemplating what to give it. Now Meyer isn’t my favorite author and everyone knows that Twilight is pretty far down on the totem pole for me. And by far down I mean it didn’t even make it. But I must admit this surprised me.  It had its share of problems for sure, but that doesn’t take away from some of the shining gems buried in this verbose book. 

    One thing that I loved was Wanda herself. She may have been very very timid, but she would bend over backwards for friends and enemies alike. I was so amazed of how Wanda and Melanie were two completely different personalities, but their emotions became so evenly matched. But I think if this book followed Melanie more and not Wanda, I wouldn’t have enjoyed this much. I found her a little confusing at times, but as the story develops, Melanie and Wanda’s relationship was much better. 

    I love that this wasn’t a romance, but the romance involved was interesting and complex. Since Melanie won’t give up her mind completely to Wanda, instead of fighting, Melanie shares her thoughts and emotions with Wanda. Wanda soon falls for Jarod, Melanie’s love, and she soon loves Jamie, Melanie’s younger brother like her own brother. But then another man named Ian makes it known his feelings for Wanda, Melanie doesn’t like it of course and Wanda is confused over it all. I for one preferred Ian over Jarod because he didn’t treat Wanda badly because of what she was, he accepted her. Jarod thought her a monster and knocked the crap out of her even though she wore the body of the woman he loves. It took him forever to trust her and that was only after she risked her life for him and the others. Not to mention I found him just boring, he didn’t have much personality, he was just cruel most of the book.

   If it weren’t for how long and dragged on this book was, I might have liked it more. I know that makes me sound lazy, but there are just things we didn’t necessarily need. The book took so long to get to the point. The first half of this was nothing but paranoia from the humans and them being cautious around Wanda, which I understand, but we could have cut down on that a bit. I am also still not a fan and I still wonder why this is a theme with Meyer, but teenage chick with older guy? I mean this is said to be a book for adults, but after reading it, I am not too sure. I liked the ending, it was a good ending, just not sure what to make of Wanda now especially where Ian is concerned. Sorry just too close for me. I won’t spoil this, but you’ll know when you get there.

     Overall, this was good. It did drag a bit and got sort of boring in parts, but the emotional aspect of the book made it better. I really loved seeing all the relationships and feelings progress from the characters. The dialogue was so-so, some a bit dreary. But I liked the storyline and the premise was something that people could relate to. It was put together well all things considered. I like that this isn’t simply a sci-fi book, it is about humanity and being from different worlds and still learning from each other. It is all about trust and acceptance. I am actually looking forward to the sequel.
     

Rating:

6 comments:

  1. Ditto on Meyer and her sparkling Vamps AND I also heard that compared to her more popular series this one is not so good. In any case I'll give you a Pat on the Back for even reading it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I have this book here on the shelf, thanks to a friend who had 2 copies. But I'm not sure this is a book I want to read. I never read the Twilight series, and don't really plan too (don't tell anyone.) But I'm just not sure about this one. Glad to hear the story is better, but sorry to hear it's a little long winded. :) Great balanced review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Braine - This wasn't a masterpiece of course, but it did have its shining moments. Thanks for the pat, I patted myself on the back, it took forever to finish this even for an audiobook LOL!

    @Melissa - I say read it once if you have the time, well if you can make the time LOL! Trust me, I skimmed some of Twilight and that was enough, just not for me. Glad you liked the review hon :)

    Thank you guys for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the book but I agree that it had some dragging moments. I loved Wanda, especially with Ian though she was a bit slow in the beginning with him. And I agree with liking Ian better than Jared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @lonewolf - So true, Wanda was great. I understand why she was clueless since she is an alien and isn't familiar with those sort of feelings. But I am happy she came to her senses and was with Ian, Jarod was an ass for too long LOL! Thank you for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana, man, I've been trying to decide if I wanted to read this book or not. I did like the Twilight books but I wasn't sure if I wanted to really read any of her other work...now I'm pretty sure I don't want to read this one. I'm glad you gave it a shot and since it took you so long to decide what to rate it that also makes me a bit nervous. I think I'll pass on this one unless down the road I have a sudden urge to pick it up. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D