CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Indie Book Review: Captured by Julia Rachel Barrett

Author: Julia Rachel Barrett
Format: PDF
Release Date: January 6, 2010
Publisher: Siren-Bookstrand
Genre: Science Fiction/Paranormal Romance/Erotic













Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Mari never expects to find herself in a cage in a cargo hold on a spaceship. She quickly learns from her captors she's headed to the meat market. When they try to return her to hypersleep, she resists. After allowing her to stay awake, Mari realizes her survival depends on connecting with the male in charge, Ekkatt. She must make him see her as a sentient being or she will end up as dinner. Ekkatt has never spoken to any human. They are valued for one thing, the money they bring at auction. The Attun race is vegetarian, but other species prize human flesh and bring in good money. Then the female with red hair speaks to him and forces him to admit she has a name. Mari throws Ekkatt's entire life into question, the biggest question...can he watch her sold to the highest bidder?



     Thanks to the lovely author J. R. Barrett, I have had the opportunity to review some of her books. First down is Captured, an erotic science fiction romance. I must say, I didn’t know what I was getting into, but I was definitely enthralled by page 1. 

      I love the story Barrett has given us, it is quite an amazing concept. Mari, along with various other human women, is abducted from Earth and is going to be sold on another planet. They are considered nothing more than animals, so they are either sold as sex slaves or…entrees. I really didn’t expect it to be that dark, but it made me more intrigued. But Mari, being the strong woman she is, didn’t stay down like the rest of the “herd” and that makes Ekkatt curious.  

     Ekkatt is an alien, a humanoid, whose job is to travel to Earth and bring back the “food”, but he quickly learns that she is way more than that. While it is against the rules, he talks to the human and finds out that she is not the brainless animal he has been taught she would be. He finds out that she and the others are rational thinkers and he is now determined to escape with her even though it will cost them their lives.

     I loved this book. I would gladly read it many times over. It was full of adventure and kept me on my toes. I really couldn’t put it down. The world (well worlds) Barrett has created were just brilliant. Even if you aren’t a fan of science fiction, there is still much to appreciate in the book. I love what Ekkatt and Mari learn from each other especially the sex.  Barrett definitely knows how to write some sexy scenes. But I loved that neither of them complained about their situation. They know their lives are on the line and they were each other’s equals. Ekkatt never saw Mari as some weakling human, never thought “Hey I should have left her behind to save my own skin”. And Mari never saw Ekkatt as a monster; she understood why he did what he did.

     The only complaint I have is that I wish there was a little more conflict between Ekkatt and those he was running from. I mean we get one main villain, but I would have loved if him and Ekkatt had a brawl of some kind. The guy got what he deserved and I was happy, but still. I also would have liked more to the ending. I mean I love where they end up, but just a few more pages where we get a sense of the place and the people. Maybe a little something about Ekkatt’s estranged “family”. I know, a little too Hollywood, but I couldn’t help it. Still, it was a great ending.

     I highly recommend this book to SFR lovers and if SFR isn't for you, still read it just because it is a great read. It is sexy and fun. It is a great story, full of great characters, adventure, and survival. Barrett has created some amazing worlds that I hope you all will enjoy reading about. Make sure this is on your TBR list.


Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely review. This is my favorite book - at least of those I've written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome hon. I really enjoyed this. I can see why it is your favorite :) Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Diana. I will make sure to put this on my TBR list to check out later. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D