CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Book Review: Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Author: Cat Patrick
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: June 7, 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult/Mystery/Fantasy/Romance














Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.



     This is simply one of the most beautifully written books I have read in a while. It isn’t my usual action packed paranormal drama, but it moved me. Now this is a YA book, so there will be some insane drama, but it doesn’t take away from the story. I really would recommend this to anyone who wants an interesting take on the psychological.

     Forgotten is about a young girl named London Lane (love that name) who can’t remember her past. She must have notes to remind her of everything because her brain “resets” at 4:33 AM. But if not having a memory of her past life isn’t enough, she actually knows the future. She knows what will become of her and those around her. So she gets extra curious when she keeps seeing a funeral taking place in her mind. London doesn’t know who has died, but she knows it is someone she knows. And worse, they start when she meets Luke Henry, the potential love of her life. 

    Thanks to Candace at Candace's Book Blog, I had the pleasure of hearing about this book. After her raving review, I had to give it a whirl. I am very happy I did because I really enjoyed this book. I love the pace of the book. I love that even with a somewhat paranormal aspect; it feels like the everyday life of any girl, so it does make parts relatable. I love that I couldn’t even guess where the hell this book was going, but where it went was mind-blowing.

    I also enjoyed the characters. London was a typical teenage girl despite her problem. She had one friend, Jamie, who was sort of awful given what she is doing (well who). London tries to save her because she knows if Jamie doesn’t get some common sense, her friend will end up in a very dark and dangerous state. London was a great character, I won’t lie, I did want to punch a time or two because of how unfair she was towards Luke because of something he lied about. I understand why she got angry, but I didn’t like that she ignores the fact that she did the same thing to him. What gives? Luke is the new hot guy on my best boyfriend list. Honestly, girls would kill for a Luke.  All the more reason I was angry with London. Has no idea how lucky she is. But you do feel for London because she doesn’t know who to trust when things come to light, not even her own mother who is keeping a big secret.

   I love the buildup of the mystery in this book. Out of all the people London is surrounded by, Luke is the only one she can’t see in her future. She is fighting to find out if she can change the future because some of the things she sees are scary. She needs to find out whose funeral it is that she keeps seeing. Can she stop it or not? Can she save her friend (and not-so-friend) from destruction and embarrassment? It will all be revealed. The only complaint I have for this book is that I wish it went a little further. The things we discover in the end were so crazy, I was almost brought to tears and I just felt like we weren’t given a complete ending.  I would have loved an extra 50 pages to this book. Trust me, once you find out what the secret is, you will probably want more too.

    Overall, this was a great read. The romance was so beautiful.  Luke is definitely high on the best book boyfriend list. The characters weren’t annoying. Well, London a tiny bit, but nowhere close to Bella-territory, so that is a bonus. This book is set to be a movie soon and I hope it captures the story well. It is so well written and unique. Actually London is to be played by Hailee Steinfeld. For those that don’t know, it is that amazing 15 year old, Oscar-nominated actress who acted the hell out of True Grit. Steinfeld was good enough to star next to Jeff Bridges, so I have faith. A high recommendation.


Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Must read before it becomes a movie. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous review Diana! I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds like I need to check it out. The actress from True Grit did an amazing job and my family and I had wondered if she'd continue since she was so young, it's good to see that she is moving on to more movies. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A darker version of 50 first dates. Poor girl. I'll check this out, I like taking breaks from the paranormal stuff, this is a good candidate

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jessica - Yes, read it before the movie comes out. I love comparing and contrasting LOL! I hope they don't up the teenage ante or anything, it would ruin it completely.

    @Deanna - Thank you hon. I knew she would be hitting it big after True Grit, If anything, she will make this movie amazing. Can't wait. Hope you like the book hon, it was definitely more than I expected.

    @Braine - That is exactly what it is like, just without seeing the whole future part. It isn't too paranormal, quite subtle and this is an easy read. I read it in two days. Hope you like it.

    Thank you guys so much for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D