CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Book Review: Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows #2) by Jill Monroe

Author: Jill Monroe
Series: Royal House of Shadows
Number in Series: 1
Format: PDF (Netgalley)
Release Date: September 20, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Fantasy













Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Princess Breena had been dreaming of her warrior lover when she was ripped from her Elden castle and thrown into a strange, dangerous realm. Lost and alone, she prayed for survival and vengeance for her stolen kingdom. She found both in a woodland cottage…in a dark bear of a man.


The golden-haired beauty had eaten his food and slept in his bed when Osborn found her. Though he wanted to awaken his virgin princess to carnal pleasures, Breena wanted more—including his warrior skills. Skills the once-legendary mercenary had long buried. Now Osborn had a choice—risk his life or deny his princess her fairy-tale ending.



   Lord of Rage is part 2 in the four-part author collaboration of the Royal House of Shadows series. It was written by Jill Monroe and this is my first experience with Monroe.  I have heard of her, but never read anything from her. But from this book, I truly believe I should read more from her. She doesn’t write a lot of PNR but after reading this, she really should. Lord of Rage is a great installment to this great, growing series.

  Lord of Rage is about a princess named Breena from Elden who is from a family with very special powers, except hers. All she can do is enter dreams. But one recurring dream involves a sexy warrior that she can’t stay away from. But the day comes when her castle is under attack by the Blood Sorcerer and she was lucky enough to escape before she too was either slaved or killed. She is running for her life for days until she ends up in an “empty” cabin with food and a bed. But things get a little crowded when that home happens to belong to three brothers, one of which is the warrior she has been dreaming of that she didn’t believe was real.

  The warrior, Osborn, is not just any warrior, but a berserker. In fact, he and his younger brothers are the last of their kind after his entire village was slaughtered years ago. He looks after his brothers and keeps them safe and wishes to take out his anger on the kingdom that has annihilated his home; Elden, or so he thinks. When he sees Breena and sees she is in fact real, he believes she is there to use him as a mercenary and he is sick of being used as a mercenary.

   I enjoyed the characters. I loved that Breena was this princess pampered and trapped and luxury and with Osborn, we see that she is stubborn and a fighter. I loved Osborn. He was tough as nails and scary. I loved that as much as his head told him not to trust her, she is nothing but trouble, he trusts his heart instead. A little cheesy coming from me, but no less true.  I loved Osborn’s little brothers Bernt and Torben. I know Breena’s and Nicholas’s remaining two siblings, Dayn and Micah, will have their stories told in the rest of the series. But I would love to see something with Bernt and Torben. Seeing how they didn’t have much of a childhood since it was taken from them and how they are only now being taught to be warriors because of Breena’s persuading Osborn, I want to see how they will turn out. 

    Now I know you guys know that book 1, Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter, was good, but not a favorite for me. I must say, I liked this one better. There was a focus and I didn’t feel like I was left out. I had a real connection with the story and the characters. This book was full of revelations and change. The characters were so stuck in their ways, but by meeting each other, they all learned that what they knew and what they were used is what held them back. 

     I would recommend this to PNR fans or just any fans of romance. It did take this book a little while until it got some interaction with one of the more main villains, but it we did, I was so happy. This book was great from beginning to end. You will get hooked very quickly with this story and its characters. Lord of Rage is a great sequel and I can’t wait to get my hands on Lord of the Wolfyn (book 3) by Jessica Andersen. Thank you so much Netgalley for these so far. Nonetheless, check this out, you’ll be happy you did.



Rating:

8 comments:

  1. I'm not letting myself read your review, but I will say that I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I'm planning on reading this for the first of October. First I must get the Lords of the Underworld Series wrapped up. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol @ Payperback Dreamer, don't want spoilers huh... i feel you :)

    D - I swear you always know how to pick them! I can hardly keep up, I'm just sad that our library doesn't carry some of the stuff you read. But this sounds good, I'm enjoying KMM's highlander series and this sounds a lot like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deanna - I am glad I enjoyed it too. I know you loved book 1, but I think you will like this one too. Monroe is new to me and I like her style. I try my best not to have spoilers though, but I know things can be revealing without you wanting them to be LOL!

    @Braine - Thanks hon. Netgalley is a big help with these books. Hopefully they will approve the last two. I am dying to read Nalini Singh. I think the reason the library doesn't have these is because they are now coming out. This book came out today for paperback and the others might be ARCs. I love the Highlander series soooo much. There is a bit of a Grimm-esque story in here. I loved him LOL! Hope you get to these soon hon.

    Thank you ladies so much for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also liked this one more than Lord of the Vampires. I was really into these characters and can't wait to read the next book. Nice review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are these books being writen by different authors? Is it me, or the first book was by a different author, right?

    Sounds like some good paranormal romance read here. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Paranormal Haven - Thank you hon. As much as I love Showalter, that just wasn't her best. But this book was great. I really enjoyed these characters too.

    @Melissa - Yes they are. That is the way this series is writtn. Book 1 was by Gena Showalter, this one by Jill Monroe, book 3 is by Jessica Andersen and book 4 is by Nalini Singh (who I am looking forward to the most). It is a pretty cool idea. I like it. This was a great PNR read, I hope you like it too.

    Thank you guys so much for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I look forward to this book especially since you gave it a four stars and is your fav.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Wickedly Delicious This is easily the second best book in the series. A very good rendition of Goldilocks and the 3 Bears. I had a lot of fun with it. Hope you like it too. Thank you hon :D

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D