CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, September 23, 2011

Book Review: Three Days to Dead (Dreg City #1) by Kelly Meding

Author: Kelly Meding
Series: Dreg City
Number in Series: 1
Format: Audiobook
Time: 11 hrs. and 25 mins.
Narrator: Xe Sands
Release Date: November 24, 2009 (audiobook: May 30, 2011)
Publisher: Tantor Media
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance










Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

They’ll never see her coming. . . .

When Evangeline Stone wakes up naked and bruised on a cold slab at the morgue—in a stranger’s body, with no memory of who she is and how she got there—her troubles are only just beginning. Before that night she and the two other members of her Triad were the city’s star bounty hunters, mercilessly cleansing the city of the murderous creatures living in the shadows, from vampires to shape-shifters to trolls. Then something terrible happened that not only cost all three of them their lives but also convinced the city’s other Hunters that Evy was a traitor—and she can’t even remember what it was.

Now she’s a fugitive, piecing together her memory, trying to deal some serious justice—and discovering that she has only three days to solve her own murder before the reincarnation spell wears off. Because in three days Evy will die again—but this time there’s no second chance. . .



     Evangeline (Evy) is dead; well she thought she was dead. She wakes up in a morgue, but thing is, she isn’t herself. Evy now resides in the body of a woman named Chalice who also just died. Evy can’t remember anything prior to her death, but she knows that it was something awful and that she must be quick in finding the who and the why. It was magic that brought her back, but that magic can only last so long; exactly three days.

     Oh my goodness! This is one of the most exciting things I have read this year. Why didn’t I catch this sooner? From the first page we are given so much mystery and suspense. I loved that Meding wrote it this way because I felt like I was in Evy/Chalice’s shoes. We learn everything she learns piece by piece. I was really invested in this story. The plot was just incredible. I loved how it came to together. Evy has been set up, everyone thinks she is a traitor; she is racing against time to figure out why she was chosen and what has happened to her. Every chapter was just one big explosion after the other (some, literally).

     Evy was a great heroine, definitely one of my favorites really. She was strong, thought on her own two feet and took everything on full force. Instead of whining about her problems, she does whatever it takes to find what she needs to find, no matter how ugly the result may be. We know Evy is a Hunter, she kills the things that go bump in the night. It is her job to keep the human world ignorant and safe. But since she is in a new body, she struggles with little moments of thinking like Chalice and the fact that Chalice was not a fighter. I love how all this is happening, but Evy never loses herself. 

     I am also a very big Wyatt fan. I did want to smack him at one specific scene in this book (when you read it, I think you will know), but his actions proved different. He sacrificed so much to get Evy back (I mean, a lot) and despite what he said his reason was, in my book that makes up for his dumb confession.  One character that surprised me was Alex. He was Chalice’s best friend and the one that found her after she killed herself. Evy goes to the apartment to try and figure out her next step after she rises from the dead and Alex, of course, is shocked at first. But he helps Evy even after she tells him that she isn’t who she looks like, that the world he knows is a lot bigger than he thought. Alex knows the dangers, but he sticks by Evy’s side and the friendship that takes place between was so amazing and unexpected.

    This book was just incredible. Meding’s worldbuilding was impeccable and her characters were brilliant. I love the emotional aspect of this book. I found myself pausing the audiobook just to catch my breath. Xe Sands, the narrator, did such a great job bringing those emotions out. Seriously, this book got intense at times. I highly recommend this book to everyone. I think if you are a Mercy Thompson fan like me, you will LOVE this. Oh I would love to see Evy and Mercy in a fight. Who would win? That would be interesting.


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011

4 comments:

  1. Where are you getting these books?!?! I'm going through a reading slump, I'm not sure if it's me or the books I've been picking up lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My TBR list is killing me, so I am just trying to knock them out of the way. But book 3 recently came out so I just wanted to catch up. I hope you get out of this slump, might be just the books you are reading or something. Hope you check this out, it was lots of fun. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book in print and I just fell in love with the world and the author's imagination! It's still one of my fave UF books. Just an awesome series every UF fan needs to check out. As you said, brilliant. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Julie - I am so with you, this is definitely a favorite. I am dying to start book 2. I love the world Meding created too, really breaks out of the usual LOL! Thank you so much for the comment and I am happy you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D