CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Indie Book Review: Immortalis Carpe Noctem (Immortalis #1) by Katie Salidas

Author: Katie Salidas
Series: Immortalis
Number in Series: 1
Format: Ebook (ePub)
Release Date: February 23, 2010
Publisher: Rising Sun Books
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance












Buy here:



Synopsis from Goodreads

Explore the emotional upheaval that is the transformation from human to vampire.


Bleeding to death after brutal mugging on the campus of UNLV, Twenty-five year old Alyssa, is rescued by the cold and aloof, vampire, Lysander. Taking pity on her, he shares the gift-and curse-of immortality. She awakens as a vampire and is soon devastated by harsh realities of her new way of life: An unyielding thirst for blood as well as the loss of her friends, her independence, and her humanity. 

As if having her humanity stripped away was not enough to make life interesting, Alyssa finds out her "turning", did not go unnoticed by the rest of undead society. Old enemies; an ancient sect of vampire hunters, known as the Acta Sanctorum, as well as a powerful Vampire mistress, each set plans in motion to destroy both Alyssa and Lysander. 

Only by accepting her new-found immortality, seizing the night, will Alyssa hope to survive. She and Lysander must fight together against two sets of enemies bent on destroying them both.


     Immortalis Carpe Noctem is about a young woman named Alyssa who made one little mistake that cost her her life. After being stood up by her best friend, she decides to walk home alone. It is only a 10 minute walk, what's the worst that can happen? Well, she is attacked and nearly beaten to death. And if that wasn’t enough, she is then saved by someone that isn't supposed to exist; a vampire. Alyssa finds out that she had been changed and her old life is gone. Trying to break away though and stop being human is more difficult than she thought.

    I loved how Salidas wrote this book. I have read many, many vampire books. But most of the time they never truly put you in the shoes of the person that has been changed. That is what this book did. We see things through Alyssa's eyes. We feel her frustration about how much she doesn't want to kill people for food (yes, they must kill them because they can't "glamour" them into forgetting). We see how much she wishes she could have gone back and ask someone to walk with her that dreadful night. We see the everyday struggle of her getting used to the vampire world and that just made this book more enjoyable. Truly made me connect with her. I really liked Alyssa. She has some growing up to do, vampire wise, but I think the journey will be worth it.

    Next to Alyssa is her maker, Lysander. I loved him. Although, I do wish we got a little more of him in the book. Might be just me though, I just couldn't get enough of him. We do get a background story from him, which I loved. It was rich and interesting; made me love him a little more. He saves Alyssa's life and is trying to teach her that none of this will be easy. There were times when he got frustrated with her because she was very stubborn, but he never gave up on her. I loved how the romance wasn't an instant thing between them. It blossoms after a very steamy vampire lesson and was grew from there.

    The plot didn't really kick in immediately, but once it did, I was very invested. Lysander's maker, Kallisto, wants to punish him because he broke a law that has been set over 2000 years ago; don't make a "child" without permission. Kallisto also wants him dead because she is a scorned woman. But that's not the only problem. They are all being chased down by the Acta Santorum, a group of vampire-killing Catholics. Ironically though, this group's main man happens to be a vampire named Santino who died a homicidal maniac.

  As much as I enjoyed this, I do have a couple complaints. First, I really would have liked some background story for Alyssa. She is a good character, but I didn't get a true sense of who she was. But I do like how it seems she is finally becoming someone. Maybe that is why she doesn't have much history. She was finally living. Second, at a certain point, I knew who the bad guy was before they were revealed. So it was predictable with that, I enjoyed it still. Just like being surprised is all

   Immortalis Carpe Noctem was a very interesting look into the vampire world. Salidas does a great job with her vampires. They feel like old school vampires. Ones we have heard about when we were little. Not necessarily bad, but did what they had to to survive. Real bad news for us humans though.  I think if you are a fan of the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost (raises hand way high), you would enjoy this book. There are some things about it that remind of the series. Alyssa is not a fighter or anything, but I think her and Cat would make good friends. Can’t wait for Hunters & Prey (book 2).


Rating:



*This book belongs to the following challenges*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011
Parajunkee's View Vampire Challenge 2011

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this one. :) It was a fun quick read for me as well. Got to say I do LOVE Lysander. :) He is a cutie. he he.

    I read the second book as well and it was much better with the plot from the beginning.

    I do want to get a print copy of the third book that just came out so I have the set and keep going with the series.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D