CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

December Releases

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Book Review: Torment (Fallen #2) by Lauren Kate

Author: Lauren Kate
Series: Fallen
Number in Series: 2
Format: Audiobook
Time: 9 hrs. and 47 mins.
Narrator: Justine Eyre
Release Date: September 28, 2010
Publisher: Listen Library
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Young Adult/Urban Fantasy/Horror









Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Hell on earth.


That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.
It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.


At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.
What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.



          Torment picks up immediately where Fallen left off. Daniel and Cam decide on a truce for 18 days because they are battling against Outcasts.  They are angels who have been cast out of Heaven and Hell and they kill both angels and demons. So while trying to get rid of angels and demons, they are also out to get Luce. So to protect her, Daniel has Luce transferred to a school called Shoreline. The school is for both humans and the Nephilim. The Nephilim are students who are both angels and humans. And they along with others are all out to help Luce with her future and her past.

          AHHHHHHH!!! Once again, the beautiful cover has deceived me. Now I can’t say I hated this book because to be honest the story was actually better. One of my biggest complaints from Fallen was how stretched and slow the story was. This had a better story, but it just wasn’t executed completely. We know that Luce has a very long history with Daniel. Luce wants to know more about that history. Luckily, she finds out that the Shadows that have been following her all her life are the key to looking into the past. Through her new friend Shelby, Luce looks into her past life and finds people alive that were related to the old her. So they travel away from Shoreline, against Daniel’s wishes, to find more about her past lives.

           Luce is one of the most confusing characters ever. She is very whiny and selfish. Hey Bella Swan, meet your competition for top dog in the TSTL department! Although, she does stand on her own a bit more in this book, so that means something. Anyway, Daniel says that they will have to be separated for a few weeks, but the way she acts makes it seem like she will never see him again. Then when he warns her he is trying to protect her and watches over her, she complains that she wants independence. What? And she does this back and forth throughout the book. She is also a bit ungrateful. Daniel is trying to protect her life and Cam has saved her life, but she still complains and takes it all for granted.

           But thank God for the other characters in this book. I liked the new girl Shelby. She comes off a little mean at first, but you warm up to her. And through Luce finds out a lot of things about herself and Daniel. I absolutely loved Miles. The new guy and Luce really hit it off and I would have liked the book better if he was the main guy instead of Daniel. He actually got her and didn’t boss her around. Not to mention he has a personality.

           I also had an issue with understanding the story. Why is it that Shoreline is full of Nephilim, people who are part angel and part human, who aren’t cursed. But Luce is being hunted for being with an angel? Is it because Daniel was a high-level angel or what? I don’t know, this book never clarifies that. As a matter of fact, this book doesn’t clarify anything. We get a lot more questions than answers. We do find out the Shadows have a purpose and that Luce has a talent with working with them. But we find out a lot of little things that I can’t spoil, but don’t have any answers for. Like the ending with the Outcasts; I know I am not the only one who thought that was strange and not in a good way. The main villain I saw a mile away after we were given a description of them earlier in the book.

            Overall, this was slightly better than book 1. So I am happy to say it didn’t get worse. There is more going on and there were more enjoyable characters, well side characters. But they aren’t as developed as I want them to be especially Miles. He was amazing and without him, the ending of the book would have ended a lot differently for Luce. But like I said, there are way too many questions. Why are the Outcasts after Luce? Why out of all the humans who were with angels, is Luce the one being hunted down? What exactly is Daniel’s past that has led them to their current predicament?  We don’t find out and I pray we get some answers in the next book. Oh God, I hope so.


Rating:



*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011

4 comments:

  1. LOL. I keep seeing these stinking books at the store but I remember that the reviews haven't been the best but the covers are awesome. :-( Too bad. I'll continue to enjoy your reviews over them but if the next few books in the series don't pick up then I think I'm going to keep resisting the pull of the amazing covers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I've not felt drawn to these books yet. Some books just call to you, and these ones don't seem to do it to me. But the covers are amazing. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Braine - I know we feel the same about this book. Goodness, when will common sense kick in? LOL!

    @paperbackdaydreamer - I am praying they do get better. They have potential, they really do. I mean wars between angels and demons, and other paranormal creatures I haven't heard of. It all sounded so great at first. So disappointing. But true, the covers are stunning!

    @Melissa - I won't lie, what drew me were the amazing covers. I am beginning to think they are being used as a marketing tactic. Beautiful covers to reel you in LOL! Now I feel like a sucker LOL!

    Thank you guys so much for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D