CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Movie Review: Dream House (2011)





Synopsis from IMDB


Some say that all houses have memories. For one man, his home is the place he would kill to forget. A family unknowingly moves into a home where several grisly murders were committed...only to find themselves the killer's next target. Successful publisher Will Atenton (Craig) quit a job in New York City to relocate his wife, Libby (Weisz), and two girls to a quaint New England town. But as they settle into their new life, they discover their perfect home was the murder scene of a mother and her children. And the entire city believes it was at the hands of the husband who survived. When Will investigates the tragedy, his only lead comes from Ann Paterson (Watts), a neighbor who was close to the family that died. As Will and Ann piece together the disturbing puzzle, they discover that the story of the last man to leave Will's dream house will be just as horrifying to the one who came next.


     Dream House is about an editor, Will Atenton (Daniel Craig), who is retiring to stay home with his wife and kids. They just moved into their dream home, but find out soon that there is something wrong with the house. They find out that another family has been murdered in that same house a while back and that the person that did it is after them.

     Is it a Horror? A drama? A psychological thriller? A mystery? No, it is all of those things and none of those wrapped up into one (strange, but you will know soon enough). And that is the biggest problem in this movie. Dream House has absolutely no idea what it wants to be and doesn’t aim high enough to be one or the other. The trailer (one of the worst movie trailers in my opinion), not only misleads you, but they even reveal part of the mystery in the trailer. I for one knew what would happen because this story has been done, but seriously, there are those that wouldn’t have a clue. It was obvious that the production company didn’t give a crap about this movie and I didn’t really either.

     Atenton is scared for his family; they are all being terrorized by someone. Oddly enough, the biggest problem is that not even the cops will help him. The majority of the movie is about him finding out who was really behind his family’s death and why he can’t remember anything. So he does a little digging on his own and finds out (as revealed in the stupid trailer), he is the supposed killer. He knows he didn’t do it and there is no real evidence he did. They reveal this halfway in the movie, it obviously isn’t a big reveal.

     This movie was full of little things that didn’t make sense or they needed to fill the time. One weird thing was that Atenton’s psychologist says he needs help because of his hallucinations. But she lets him out still anyway and without any medication. What? Let a mental patient accused of slaughtering his family who is now seeing them everywhere; leave the institution with nothing to help him cope? Right. Another issue was that there was a scene in the first 20 minutes where they obviously let you know who the real bad guy is. But they took until the end to reveal him and his secret. Problem was, they give us a lame ass excuse as to the how and why. In terms of mystery and suspense, this was just sad. It really was just blah.

    That leads me to the ending as a whole. That was one of the most bullshit endings I have seen in my life. Have you ever seen a show or movie where you know they don’t know how to end, so they just throw things in just because? Well if you haven’t, you will get that here. The ending made no sense at all. As a matter of fact, the end does the impossible and makes mental projection a reality. It is hard not to spoil this (well even more than the production company already has), but trust me when I say, you will be screaming, “What the frak?!”

     Overall, I wouldn’t recommend this. This is a story that has been done before and has been done a lot better. It is a mixture of Shutter Island and The Shining…but done wrong. The only good thing about Dream House was the acting. You have Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts (who doesn’t have a lot of scenes, again, stupid), Daniel Craig and those adorable little girls who I thought were very impressive. This movie has that to back it up; it just didn’t use them correctly. Again, this isn’t much of a horror movie or a thriller as the trailer would lead you to believe. The only thing scary about it was Naomi Watts obvious Botox job. Seriously, I almost didn’t recognize her the first time they showed her. Come on Watts, you are a beautiful and talented actress, you don’t need Botox. It didn’t make you look more attractive, it made you look like you had the crap scared out of you.


Rating:

6 comments:

  1. Too bad. I was hoping for more, yet I had my doubts so I waited for someone else to see the movie first and write a review, and you did! Yay! Saves me from wasting some bucks.
    I figured this was the direction the writers were going and it's a shame when you have a cast like this.
    I just wrote a review of the awful remake of Footloose. Ooops, hope you didn't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my doubts too, but I basically watched for the actors. I am with you, ti is sad to see their talent wasted in this. This movie just wasn't enough.

    Yes, spend your money on something else. Like I said, the production company didn't even have a lot faith in this LOL! I am definitely going to check out that review for Footloose. It should have never been remade. I heard the guys at Spill talking about it and they didn't like it either. Thanks so much for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL you know what, the only reason why I want to see this is to see the chemistry between Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz, I heard that this is where their romance started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Barine - It was at the beginning and it was really the best part of the movie. It felt real and sweet. And like I said, their kids were soooo cute. Honestly, the beginning of the movie is the best part, the part without any of the drama. So yeah, just watch the first 20 minutes LOL! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek...I'm staying far away from this one Diana. It's too bad that the acting was so great but the movie/plot was so bad (in the fact that it wasn't very original). I was really iffy on watching this one and now I know I'll just pass it by. I'm sorry your past few movies have been so bad...hopefully the next one you go to/watch to review will be out of this world AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. Sounds like they need to go back to the drawing board on this one. And put all the pieces together. Hm. I don't think I've heard of this one though.

    I did get to watch 2 movies this weekend. Fast Five, loved it! And Transformers 3, it was okay. :)

    Thanks for the thoughts here!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D