CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Movie Review: Sucker Punch (2011)





 Synopsis from IMDB

A young girl (Baby Doll) is locked away in a mental asylum by her abusive stepfather where she will undergo a lobotomy in five days' time. Faced with unimaginable odds, she retreats to a fantastical world in her imagination where she and four other female inmates at the asylum, plot to escape the facility. The lines between reality and fantasy blur as Baby Doll and her four companions, as well as a mysterious guide, fight to retrieve the five items they need that will allow them to break free from their captors before it's too late... 


                Sucker Punch is about a young girl who has lost everyone and everything. After going through a very tragic experience, Baby Doll (Emily Browning) is sent to a mental institution where she is set to have a lobotomy.  So before she gets it, she puts together a plan to leave the institution along with the new friends she has made so they all can be free. But in order to leave, she needs five things to help her and the other girls escape.

                Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you, my most disappointing movie of the year. I didn’t get the chance to see this in theaters which I am sure would have made the special effects more exciting. But I ordered it through VOD and as nice as the special effects were on my TV, the story was sort of flat. My younger brother went to see this and we have the same taste in films. So we were both excited about this. He saw it before me in the theaters and told me how much it sucked and how it didn’t make any sense. I have been looking forward to this movie for a year, so I just didn’t want to believe him. Boy I wished I listened.

 I knew what the movie was about from the trailers, but I didn’t know that the back and forth between fantasy and reality would be as clunky and off as it was. I have no problem with over the top, but when you come back down from it all, let is make sense and let it at least be consistent.  While Baby Doll is at the mental institution, she takes dance classes (yeah, that is what mental patients need) and while dancing, she goes into her own world. In this world, she fights Nazis, robots, samurais and etc. Why? Who the hell knows? Problem is when she does this; it takes away from everyone else. When dancing she distracts people in the real world, so the other girls trying to escape can get the items. But we never really see how they got the items in the real world; we are still stuck in Baby Doll’s over the top world. I understand this world is about her escaping reality and facing her demons, but her demons aren’t the ones that put her in the predicament she is in right now. 

I listened to the review for this movie from the great guys at Spill. And they said it best, this movie felt like a long cut scene from a bad video game. Just simple, very uncomplicated plot, and insane and unnecessary visual effects. As nice as they were, it almost felt like I was watching two different movies. One was overdone and one was sort of dull and simple. And actually, the move has three layers and I am still not sure how they mesh. I honestly don’t know what the middle ground is.  If Zack Snyder focused on just one, I believe this movie would have been better. But no, he needed pretty chicks in miniskirts fighting samurais with machine guns and swords. This sounds great on paper, sure, but seeing the way it is done in this film will pain you.

The characters weren’t awful. I think they all worked as best they could with the story they were given. Some characters didn’t make much sense when you get down to it. Wise Man (Scott Glen) who was in Baby Doll’s fantasy helped her out throughout the movie in her head. Then near the end, he shows up in real life and the other girls can see him too even though he was never shown at the institution. What?! How is that possible? Then you have the dance instructor (Carla Gugino) with her bad Russian/Polish accent. I actually liked Blue Jones (Oscar Isaac). He acted well in this And I believe the smartest actor in this movie was Jon Hamm. He only shows up at the very end and has a few lines. I love Hamm and I hate that he was connected to this, but he did a good in-and-out job, so you won’t remember seeing him in this movie, which is a good thing.

The ending had me reeling and not in a fun way. It actually managed to make me more confused because it made the POV of the movie utterly pointless. I am actually a fan of Snyder and I have been looking forward to this movie for a year. A YEAR! So it hurts even more to see that Snyder has pulled a Michael Bay with this movie. I know people have issues with Snyder’s films, but I enjoy them because I like the visuals and they actually make sense and, I am a nerd. But this movie was all flash and no real substance. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend seeing Sucker Punch. But if you want to, go with low or no expectations.



Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm officially removing this from my TBW list! I mean I was apprehensive about it when I saw the previews, I just wasn't sure...but I was still ganna give it a chance. Now I'm absolutely avoiding it at all cost. Thanks for the review, thanks for being honest, and I'm sorry that a movie you were really looking forward to ended up being the worst movie of the year. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW IT! I haven't seen this but based on the trailer the best part would be the special effects and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad we agree. I can no longer legitimately say you like everything. (though I like you, so I have to tease you, at least a little).

    I made the mistake of seeing this movie in the theater. I couldn't even bring myself to review it. What a terrible piece of crap. Special effects do not a good story make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Paperback Daydreamer - Yes, remove it from the list hon. It just isn't worth it. The effects are great, but they don't do anything for this movie. I was praying my brother was wrong, but he wasn't. I am still shocked. Definitely a HUGE disappointment :(

    @Braine - Yeah the effects were great, but I wouldn't have imagined the storyline would have been soooo stupid. I am getting pissed all over again just talking about it LOL!

    @Hey Lady - You know I like you too hon. I would love to read your review on this, it would be epic LOL!

    Thank you all for the amazing comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D