CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, November 28, 2011

Book Review: Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy #1) by Carolyn Crane

Author: Carolyn Crane
Series: The Disillusionists Trilogy
Number in Series: 1
Format: Paperback
Pages: 371
Publisher: Spectra
Release Date: March 23, 2010
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Science Fiction/Paranormal/Romance












Buy here:
AmazonBarnes & Noble  |  The Book Depository  |  Indie Bound


Synopsis from Goodreads

JUSTINE KNOWS SHE’S GOING TO DIE. ANY SECOND NOW.

Justine Jones has a secret. A hardcore hypochondriac, she’s convinced a blood vessel is about to burst in her brain. Then, out of the blue, a startlingly handsome man named Packard peers into Justine’s soul and invites her to join his private crime-fighting team. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime deal. With a little of Packard’s hands-on training, Justine can weaponize her neurosis, turning it outward on Midcity’s worst criminals, and finally get the freedom from fear she’s always craved. End of problem.

Or is it? In Midcity, a dashing police chief is fighting a unique breed of outlaw with more than human powers. And while Justine’s first missions, including one against a nymphomaniac husband-killer, are thrilling successes, there is more to Packard than meets the eye. Soon, while battling her attraction to two very different men, Justine is plunging deeper into a world of wizardry, eroticism, and cosmic secrets. With Packard’s help, Justine has freed herself from her madness—only to discover a reality more frightening than anyone’s worst fears.



   OH MY GOD! This was…AMAZING!!! I love Urban Fantasy (well, duh) and I have been looking for something different and fresh. And I found it right here. Mind Games was fun, refreshing, unique, and very exciting. This is so going on my favorites list.

   I loved all the characters in this book. I felt so bad for Justine being thrown in the middle of everything. I think being a hypochondriac kept her a bit sheltered and scared of a lot of things. But I liked her, if not for her, this book would have ended very differently. I liked all the other characters, they made me smile. But like Justine, you don’t know whether to trust them or not. I wasn’t a fan of Justine’s boyfriend, Cubby, I really don’t think he supported her as much as he could have. I could sort of understand, still I wanted to punch him. I loved Shelby and how quickly she and Justine become best friends. They really look out for each other in this book. I liked the character of Simon and I really wanted to know what his story was with Packard. Well him and all the other side characters that all were a blast in this book.

   I loved the plot to this book. I love the idea of instead killing and/or punishing a criminal, why not fix them? Infecting people with their own fear is just a brilliant idea. I loved the whole Disillusionist group and how everything worked together, well more or less. I love seeing the change in Justine, seeing that she isn’t so afraid anymore. Seeing her learn to give away her fear, it is just so interesting. But I also liked how this worked with the ending and I definitely know it will play a part in the books to come. When is nice too nice? Is rewriting someone the best way to fix them? Is it good or bad? There are little questions that get raised here and I can’t wait to read more to find out what is next. God I loved this!

   My only real complaint, well not much of a complaint because I like it, is the cover. I love it, but it gives off the wrong impression. When I saw the cover, I thought, “Hell yes, another badass chick in leather”, but that is not the case really. Justine is thrown into this world and doesn’t even use any weapons, except her brain. She isn’t a badass, she can’t be given her condition has her limited. And the cover makes you think the opposite of that. So those expecting a sort of Kate Daniels-esque book, this isn’t quite along those lines even though it is still action-packed. This book is very supernatural, but there aren’t any supernatural creatures, just supernatural powers.

    This book truly took me by surprise. The last 10 or 11 chapters had my mouth dragging on the floor because I wouldn’t have guessed that even if my life depended on it. I love where this book goes and don’t get me started on the love interest (I won’t say who because that is a huge spoiler), but it is unexpected to say the least. I honestly can’t put into words how satisfied I was with this book. I swear you will not find anything like this out there. Thank you so much Crane and Kristin (mybookishways) for this book. One of the best books I have read this year.


Rating:
+1




*This book belongs to the following challenge*

4 comments:

  1. Aweswome review as usual Diana! I've had this book in my to-read list. So I can't blame this one on you. LOL A 5 star +1 from you means I will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do, it was so fresh and suspenseful. I think you will really love it. It is incredible. Thank you for the awesome comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect review. I love this series. The next book is even more ZOMG and the final book in the trilogy ends it all very well. I hope you continue to like the books. Really, they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Julie - Oh man I can't. I am dying to get the rest of them. Of course I am going to finish this series, it is too good not to finish. I can't wait. Thank you so much hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D