CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

August Releases

Friday, November 11, 2011

Book Review: Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy #1) by Kiersten White

Author: Kiersten White
Series: Paranormalcy
Number in Series: 1
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 335
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre:Young Adult/Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy











Buy here:



Synopsis from Goodreads

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.



    Paranormalcy is about a 16 year old girl named Evie. She is…different. She works for a secret agency known as the International Paranormal Containment Agency (IPCA); actually she is one of the top agents at IPCA. Why? Because Evie is the only person in the world who can see past the glamour of every supernatural creature known. All supes have them and none of them fool Evie. So after a scary run-in with a room full of vampires who mysteriously end up dead the next day, things take a turn when more supernaturals wind up dead for no apparent reason. It is up to Evie to find out, but the more she digs, the more she seems to be the center of it all.

    Now this is how I always wanted my YA books to be like; a new version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yes, that is how awesome I thought this book was. It was fast paced, witty, action-packed, and mysterious. I couldn’t put this book down. Don’t be fooled by the cover, although it is gorgeous, this book isn’t nearly as dark as it makes you believe. Paranormalcy definitely has its share of dark and sad moments, but this book is quite lighthearted and fun. It actually feels young. I know that sounds weird, but a lot of YA books I have read have been very dark which I like mind you. But it is nice reading one where it is about a girl in a dark world who is adorable and just wants to live life

   The characters were to die for. I am putting Evie on my badass heroines list. She was a perky, little smartass and I loved it. She was tough and was able to take on just about anyone. Even when things start to unravel and take effect, she never gave in. I loved Lend, he was hot and talented. He really got Evie to fight for her freedom. He made her realize there was something more going on around her that the IPCA was hiding from her. And for all intents and purposes, made her feel normal. They had so much chemistry and were so amazing together, definitely one of my favorite YA couples. There is also Reth, our crazy, stalker faerie who has his own agenda where Evie is concerned. He is trying to do something to her heart, but we don’t know yet. But he swears he is trying to save her. He definitely has a funny way of showing it. Even when we meet the real villain of the story, he scared me the most. We don’t know what his game is, but I am dying to find out.

    The plot of this book was amazing. I love the way things were revealed in this book and they were very unpredictable. This book will get very sad at times, so I am preparing you for some tears. Like I said, I don’t trust Reth at all and he played a bigger role in some of the scarier scenes in the book, but we don’t know if he is good or bad. Actually he sort of reminds me of V’lane from the Fever series. Neither good or bad which is why you can’t trust him, but at least he is hot. But once you find out what Evie is and what she is capable of, then the obsession will make sense. Still, he is creepy.

    This is another one of those books that are so good; my review just isn’t enough for its awesomeness. I love Kiersten White’s style. It is a great mixture of laughs and tears. This was a quirky and fun read and like I said, definitely reminds me of Buffy. The characters are some of the greatest characters I have come across In a while, just insanely likable even the questionable ones (in a weird way).  This book is full of so many paranormal creatures we all have come to love and seeing Evie go from being their enemy to their friend was just another great journey to add to this spectacular book. And I can’t wait to see how she grows more into her own. Highly recommended, you will bleeping love it!


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011

4 comments:

  1. Finally you got around to reading this book! I love White's supernaturals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Barine - Don't you pick on me LOL! But yes, I finally read it. I loved this book so much. Can't wait for the rest. I am so with you, I like that White introduced us to new supernaturals, so much fun. Thank you so much for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn it Diana, now why did you have to go comparing it to Buffy?! :-( I guess I'm going to have to add this to my TBR list. I love the cover! Then the story just sounds great...thanks for the review Diana and I'm happy to see your past few books have been so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @paperbackdaydreamer - I am happy I have been on a roll myself. Hope it keeps going LOL! What is wrong with comparing this to Buffy? LOL! It was just that great mixture of dark and light. You are going to love these characters, such a blast. I am with you too, the cover is gorgeous. I think White just released a post on the new cover. It looks gorgeous. You are welcome for the review hon, glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D