CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Indie Book Review: House Trap by Mike Mauthor

Author: Mike Mauthor
Format: PDF
Release Date: May 7, 2011
Publisher: Self-published
Genre:Young Adult/Realistic Fiction/Thriller
















Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Rachel Evans is a sixteen year old overachiever who would take nothing less than to achieve her goal of getting into Dartmouth College. But Rachel’s life would never be the same once she stepped into the house of Alicia Hausefalle, the most popular girl in Wedds High School. Rachel was there to tutor her. She never expected to meet two strangers who were ready to end her life.



     House Trap is about a teenager girl named Rachel. She is an overachiever, goes above and beyond in all she does. Unfortunately, this doesn’t make much time for her family or to make friends. So one day while in math class, given she has the best grades, she is forced to tutor a rude and popular girl at school named Alicia. Rachel, of course, doesn’t want to tutor her, but has no choice. Everything goes fine until Rachel leaves to use the bathroom. This is when all hell breaks loose. Alicia’s home is under attack and even though it has the House Trap, a security system meant to trap intruders inside, it also traps the girls and Alicia’s siblings in with the intruders.

     I was emailed a few days ago by the author to review this book. After reading the description, I was more than glad to dive in. But I had no idea how heart pounding this was going to be. I honestly didn’t see this as a book, but more like a movie. Being trapped in a house with men who are intent on killing you, yeah, the adrenaline was staggering to say the least.

    I liked that the bulk of this book was about escaping with the children alive. We get a look into the life of Rachel and see that she doesn’t make time for anyone or anything. All she wants to do is go to her dream college, Dartmouth. She ignores and snaps at her mom and brother. But while in that house, knowing there’s a good chance her life will end, you see her missing them and regretting the way she has been so bitter towards them. And that was such a lesson for her, actually I think that was the lesson of the book. Change your ways now because you don’t know what will happen tomorrow.

     I loved the plot of the book. It felt real and put me in that mindset, “What would I have done?” It was so suspenseful and thrilling; I just couldn’t put this down. I mean, for all intents and purposes, I felt like I was reading an autobiography. That is how authentic this book felt. I applaud Mauthor for writing it in a way that forces his readers to put themselves in the characters shoes. It is truly brilliant.

    The only complaints I have are that I would have liked more background story. We get a taste, but a little more would have been nice, especially where Alicia’s dad was concerned. We knew who he was (tiny spoiler here, so I won’t say), but I wish we could know what he was thinking after everything happened. Seeing his life’s work being questioned and brought to light; I definitely was dying to know what he was thinking. What would his next step be? Would he keep going with his project or start over again? I am very curious. Also I have to note there were about a handful of grammar issues here and there. But if you are like me, you will be so engulfed in the story, they won’t be a bother.

     This book fell in my lap and well it is going to stay there. It wasn’t underdone or overdone, it was right on point. It felt so real and it was so thrilling. And for a short story, that just makes it all the more impressive. We get a few twists that make the book even more exhilarating. If you want a suspenseful, fast-paced thriller, I would highly recommend you check this out. It is only for a dollar, but trust me, it will be the greatest thing $.99 could buy. It is a steal as far as I am concerned.


Rating:

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic review Diana! I'm definitely going to check this one out. :-) For $.99 that is a great deal, especially with how much you enjoyed it. Going to buy it now and I think I'm going to suggest my Dad check it out...he's a big reader. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much hon. I hope you do check this out. I had a lot of fun reading it. Glad your dad is a bookworm too, hope he likes this too. Thank you for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds great, and at $.99, a steal! Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kristin - It really was great. You are very welcome for the review. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again awesome review hon! Your reviews are always spot-on that have me running to goodreads to add to my read list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @SacredmOOn - Glad to help hon. Thank you so much, I am very happy you enjoyed the review. Hope you like the book as much as I did. Also got news that Mauthor is planning a sequel. So I am super excited about that. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D