CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Movie Review: In Time (2011)




Synopsis from IMDB

In the not-too-distant future the aging gene has been switched off. To avoid overpopulation, time has become the currency and the way people pay for luxuries and necessities. The rich can live forever, while the rest try to negotiate for their immortality. A poor young man who comes into a fortune of time, though too late to help his mother from dying. He ends up on the run from a police force known as 'time keepers'.


    In Time is about a world where time is everything. It is your life and your currency. There are plenty of poor people and a little bit of rich people. The rich can live forever since they can afford it and the poor die. When Will (Justin Timberlake) thinks he is helping a man named Henry (Matt Bomer) with 100 years on his arm, he finds out that isn’t the case. Henry is 108 years old and says even though we look young, your body knows when it has had enough. Henry passes on his time to Will and afterward kills himself Will is then becomes a fugitive for a suicide. Will has to both run away from the timekeepers and go to the man who holds time and who was indirectly responsible for his mom’s death.

    I along with many other people saw the trailer to In Time and thought, “Wow, Hollywood finally comes up with an original idea!” Unfortunately, the execution of that idea didn’t just fail, it crashed and burned. While the premise sounds interesting, this movie just didn’t work. It took the idea and tried to shove it down our throats which in turn made this movie feel very bland.

    Not sure what to think about the characters in this movie. Will has a backstory but we don’t get much of it. We know his dad died to fight the system, but we don’t get any more emphasis than that. It was just clunky. Also this movie did not work with Timberlake at all. His acting along with everyone else in the movie was not stellar to say the least. And the love interest and daughter of the villain, Sylvia (Amanda Seyfried) didn’t work in this. I am not a fan of most of her movies, but I think she is a good actress. This movie made everyone seem more robotic than anything.  Bomer was pretty much one of 2-3 convincing actors in this movie and his scene was the most in-depth.

    After that though, the movie just gets ridiculous, which leads me to one of the film’s biggest problems, the dialogue. The writer might as well have been a 13-year-old kid. Raymond (Cillian Murphy) was the lead timekeeper (and also another convincing actor) who is hunting Will for the suicide. When Will asked why he is investigating a suicide, he just says he sounds like his father. Ummm, okay? What about him? Why are you really investigating a suicide? All because someone gave away his time? It just felt a little overdramatic. Then there were little attempts at humor that just made the film even sadder.  

    Also what hurt this film was the idea itself. Like I said, it pretty much shoves it in your face. That was a huge problem because the film comes off so shallow. Everything is so on the surface and it never digs deeper down. This made the film feel sort of lifeless to me and I found that I didn’t really connect much with anyone in the movie even though this movie had plenty of chances to do that. The whole movie moves but without a real purpose, things just pop up, no real plan. All they do end up doing is this whole Bonnie and Clyde thing, which I liked and made the movie just slightly enjoyable.

    I wouldn’t recommend this movie. Sorry if my review isn’t all that great, but honestly, this movie really wasn’t much to talk about. It managed to make good actors look shitty and shitty actors look even shittier. Alex Pettyfer as a British gangster was sort of silly. I don’t think he is that great an actor and him and his gang of “thugs” looked like rejects from a boy band. But boy did he look good.  Nonetheless, In Time was just bland and didn’t make sense in parts. I don’t even know if they really explained how the whole time thing took place in the first place especially if this is the future. If anything, it was sort of stupid. This was okay because again, the premise was nice. I just wish everything else was.


Rating:

5 comments:

  1. Well, darn, LOL. I KIND OF wanted to see this one...notice I said kind of:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW IT! The hype was just about JT & Seyfried! At least you got to see some serious man-candy.

    P.S. You should've just watched Immortals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristin - I know. It looked so interesting, but it just fell short. I love dystopian, but this just didn't work. Sorry to sort of disappoint you LOL!

    @Braine - LOL! So true, now I see why. But yes, if anything watch for all the hot dudes. Most can't act, but who cares right? LMAO!

    P.S. - I did see Immortals, that is the next movie review to come. I did like it, but I do have some beef LOL!

    Thank you guys so much for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Alex Pettyfer as a British gangster was sort of silly. I don’t think he is that great an actor and him and his gang of “thugs” looked like rejects from a boy band."

    That's an awesome description! I'll wait til this comes out on HBO and maybe watch it then. That or watch paint dry, whichever is more convenient at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to watch it next week.
    Now I'm not expecting too much ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D