CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Movie Review: Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)





 Synopsis from IMDB

In 1988, young sisters Katie and Kristi befriend an invisible entity who resides in their home.



   YES!!! This is what I have been waiting for; a prequel and a pretty good one at that. Now I know some people aren’t huge fans of this franchise, but I am. I was very much in love with the first one because it brought back something horror films have forgotten and I even liked the second one. Part 2 wasn’t the best, I know, but it had more story that helps understand this one better. Paranormal Activity 3 is by far the best in the franchise and I can’t wait until we get the complete picture.

   Like I said, this is a prequel of the Paranormal Activity franchise. We get to witness what happened when Katie and Kristi were kids. You know how some kids have their imaginary friends? Well, Kristi, the younger sister, actually had one and unfortunately it was demon. We see that the demon befriends Kristi and the family doesn’t think much of it until strange things start happening in the house. Their mom, Julie, writes it off throughout the movie as Kristi just having an imaginary friend. Their stepdad, Dennis, wants to see everything in action because he is seeing strange things taking place in the house. But little do they know, communicating with it makes things worse.

   I really enjoyed this movie a lot. I wasn’t annoyed, I got a backstory and I was substantially scared shitless. No jumpscares, I mean I was actually freaked out when watching this. Kristi and Katie were adorable little girls and you can see how easy it was for the demon to get to the girls. At first, he was just a simple friend to Kristi and then progressively we learn he wants something from her. She won’t give it to him and then that is when he moves on to her sister, Katie, who we know from the first movie.

   I loved the characters in this movie; they really felt like a family to me. One of my biggest problems with the second movie was the lack of personality from the characters. In this movie, we got a lot more oomph from everyone. I really liked that I got a sense of everyone in the movie. All my questions were answered in this movie. The only question I have is concerning the ending. If you are a horror fan like me, the ending will look surprisingly similar to another horror film that came out last year or so. But the very end made no sense in terms of the way they were acting versus to the way they are now. I hope there is another film that dives deeper into that. But I did like it.

   I know people keep complaining about this and it really isn’t the reason to hate the film, but that is what people are doing. Almost every scene in the trailer isn’t shown in the movie. I believe those will most likely be on the DVD. Still, there are scenes that still scare me. I love these films because of the pace and progression. People keep saying nothing happens in the first hour, which is not true. Communicating with the demon is gradual; first it starts small and then it explodes. This movie works like how I like horror movies to work. People are so use to the blood and gore and just in your face horror, this works like how old horror movies work and I thank Hollywood for actually bringing some of that back.

   Overall, I would watch this movie again and again. I was scared and on the edge of my seat. I loved the feel  and love learning the real story behind Kristi and Katie’s pasts. The majority of the questions people have had since the first movie are truly answered. But again, the ending needs to be answered. But I loved the suspense and the trickery. There is still plenty of mystery and I pray we get all the answers we need. So if this franchise is your kind of thing, I would recommend this to you.


Rating:

5 comments:

  1. Like the first two in the series, this movie scared the buhjeezus out of me. I will forever get chills up my spine any time I hear the name Toby. *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! I always liked that name, not anymore. This movie was great and scared the crap out of me as well. Glad you liked it to hon. Thank you so much for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perks up with this movie. I like those types of movies as well Diana. I will check it out one of these days. TY for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sacredmoon - I love this franchise. It really brings back what horror films have thrown out the window; real horror. Blood and gore does not automatically equal, it is just horrific. There is really no blood in this movie at all and I still nearly pissed myself. Hope you can see it soon, it was a great prequel. So glad you liked it. Thank you for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first movie scared me so much I never saw the second one. And I used to consider myself a horror movie buff. The slow build up is far more realistic then the full on blood and gore of many horror movie, and that's what makes it more scary.

    Thanks for the review, as always!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D