CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, November 7, 2011

Movie Review: The Thing (2011)



Synopsis from IMDB

At an Antarctica research site, the discovery of an alien craft leads to a confrontation between graduate student Kate Lloyd and scientist Dr. Sander Halvorson. While Dr. Halvorson keeps to his research, Kate partners with Sam Carter, a helicopter pilot, to pursue the alien life form.



    The Thing is a prequel to well…The Thing. Why didn’t they change the name or indicate that this was a prequel, I have no idea. Nonetheless, The Thing prequel is about the original Norwegian team that found the spaceship and the alien that crashed in Antarctica. But after trying to inspect and find out more about the creature, things take a turn when the alien escapes and the crew finds out it can duplicate humans. So they must find out who isn’t human and also try not to be killed and duplicated themselves.

    I am a huge fan of The Thing by John Carpenter. So when seeing The Thing prequel, I walked into the theater expecting to hate the living hell out of this. But I must admit, I actually didn’t hate this as much as I thought I would. In all honesty, I actually liked it. This movie had plenty of chances to do something extremely stupid, but it didn’t and I applaud all who were involved. But that doesn’t go without saying, this movie wasn’t great and surprisingly, it truly could have been.

    I loved that this movie was full of characters. The problem is, we don’t get a feel of the majority of them. We have the main character Kate (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) who was one of the lead scientists on the team. Then we have the guy who hired her, Dr. Sandor (Ulrich Thomsen). He was a huge jerk. Kate was the first to notice that something was wrong and yet he continued to push the investigation of the alien past its limits. I really liked the character of Kate. When it comes to pretty girls and horror movies, we get the same kind of bullshit. She is either conveniently seen naked or topless in her room or we get some useless shower scene. Or like a lot of horror films do a lot, run butt naked through the forest away from her attacker. Well we don’t get any of that (there were no forests, but still) and for that I am so grateful. Thank you for actually focusing on the story.

    But that is really it though. When you have this many characters in a movie, I would expect to feel a connection to them. Since there is an alien out killing them, you want to feel sad for them, but you sort of don’t. I know I sound cold-hearted saying that, but when you don’t really know who the characters are, when they die, you don’t really feel bad about it. It is sad, of course, but you don’t really fret about it like you would if it were the main character or something.

    I liked the plot. It was simple and progressed very well. The whole feeling of being cut off from the rest of the world with no real way out, is very frightening. But I wish that was the way they acted in the movie. When the alien first breaks free (they thought it was dead), the reaction of everyone in the cabin was so…calm. When they go to chase after it, only one or two people decide to actually bring weapons everyone else brought flashlights. What the hell? You are not looking for a lost puppy, you are looking for an alien that has been frozen to death for hundreds of years and most likely will not be like E.T.
   
    I like that this was a straight up monster movie. People scared and paranoid out of their minds, it is very understandable. When you see what that thing can do, you will be freaked out. I love that I actually felt scared watching this. Actual scary things that were worth jumping for. Although I have to say there were certain times when we see someone turn into a monster and it looked awful. Some were so gross; I had to turn my head a bit. Then there were others when you can tell CGI was used and It just looked like the budget wasn’t big enough. So not all of them looked as great as they could have been, but still most will freak you out.

    Overall, I would recommend checking this out. Trust me, I surprise myself saying this, but it is true. Like I said, there are a few things just a bit off in this movie. But with the creepy atmosphere, the story and the amazing cast, I think this movie is worth it. They didn’t utilize the talent enough in this movie, but what we still got some incredible acting (by some very good-looking guys if I must say so).  Hey Hollywood, want to make even more money, cast Trond Espen Seim in more movies over here. I am just saying.


Rating:

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED the John Carpenter version. Made me jump out of my seat even though I watched it at home (and it still holds up all these years later). I'm DYING to get a sitter and see this in the theater. I'm pretty sure I squee out loud every time the trailer comes on. Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the title should have been THE OTHER THING hahahaha! I love scary movies but I'll wait for this on cable or netflix. Thanks for the head's up

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristin - Same here, Carpenter's version is amazing. I too still jump. It is such a classic. Hope you can check this out, like I said, I was very surprised.

    @Braine - LOL! Anything to distinguish the two would have worked LOL! Yeah, wait for Netflix or cable, but either way, this is worth the watch. Hope you like it. Welcome for the heads up hon :)

    Thank you guys so much for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that you enjoyed this movie overall. I found it funny that you went to see it even though you were expecting to hate it. I never pay money for movies that I think I won't enjoy...but it worked out in your favor this time around. :-) I'm glad to see that you were finally able to watch a movie and actually enjoy it after the last few movies you've watched and didn't enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @paperbackdaydreamer - I did enjoy it. I know, right? I felt that I would hate it, but I have been craving for a monster flick and this was my best choice. Have to admit, not a bad choice. Very happy it worked in my favor for a change LOL! I know, it would seem the last good movie I have seen since this was Harry Potter back in July. So my suck streak has been broken. Woohoo! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D