CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, December 5, 2011

Book Review: Avenger's Angel (The Lost Angel #1) by Heather Killough-Walden

I like this one more :)







Author: Heather Killough-Walden
Series: The Lost Angel
Number in Series: 1
Format: PDF (Netgalley)
Pages: 400
Publisher: Penguin Group USA
Release Date: November 1, 2011
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Science Fiction/Paranormal Romance















Buy here:



Synopsis from Goodreads

The first in Heather Killough-Walden's fantastic new paranormal series, the Lost Angels, features Uriel, the Angel of Vengeance. Four thousand years ago, four archangels were cast down to Earth in human form. God's favourites, they came to find their mates, the other half of their souls made only for them, without whom they will ever be complete. Uriel, Gabriel, Azrael and Michael, however, were not alone. They were followed by another, determined to find the archesses for himself, and whose power cannot be underestimated. But after centuries of fruitless searching, the archangels -- and their enemy -- have all but given up hope. Until one day beautiful and gifted Eleanore Granger crosses paths with Uriel, the Angel of Vengeance. And as a storm rages, outside forces conspire together, initiating an age old battle of good versus evil to win the first archess.


   I have two questions: 1) When is the next book coming out and 2) can I get it right this very second? Everyone knows my love for angels and honestly, I think this is one of my favorites. The world, the characters, the story; everything just fit so well. I absolutely fell in love with this book and It seems I have found another great series full of hot brothers that kick lots of ass. So that is definitely a bonus.

    I loved our main characters. Uriel, the Angel of Vengeance, is a famous actor. His movie is based on a book that just happens to have a book signing at a bookstore where his soulmate (archess), Eleanore (Ellie), works. She has no idea what she is, but she knows of her powers (healing and manipulating the weather) and is trying very hard to stay low-key. But that is hard when the very famous and gorgeous Christopher Daniels (Uriel’s Hollywood name) takes a liking to her. She thinks he is making her into one of his many adoring groupies, but she doesn’t know that she was made for him and he has been searching for her for over 2000 years. I really liked Ellie. She went out of her to always help those in need even though it drained her and could expose her to her enemies. She never gave it a second thought and that is always a nice thing to find in a good heroine. She was strong and vulnerable all at once.

   Also loved all the other characters, specifically Uriels’ brothers; Gabriel, Michael and Azrael. They were all hot, but I think my favorite of the four was Azrael. He is the only one that was “deformed” when coming to Earth. He is not only an angel, but a vampire. He helped Uriel the most when it came to Eleanore, well he sort of had to, given that Uriel was cursed and ended a vampire like him. There was a sweet chemistry between him and Ellie. Like him looking out for a sister even though he barely knew her. But I pray his book is next, I am very curious about him. Seriously, I know you guys will love him.

   But like many great love stories, they need a villain and boy did we get one. Samael, the fallen archangel, wants an archess for himself because one wasn’t made for him. So when he learns of Eleanore, he puts together a very clever and manipulative plot of getting her. I don’t know what to make of him honestly. He is the devil for all intents and purposes, but there was one scene in this book that made me unsure of him. And I actually believe he was being sincere in his weird way. Yet right up to the end, we know he is plotting something huge, but we don’t know what. We know he has lied about something about himself and what he actually is and his intentions are very unclear. I am a sucker for a great villain and I think Samael might be a favorite. I can’t wait to see what Killough-Walden will do with him next.

   I love where this story takes us. I like the idea of archangels coming to Earth to find the women that were made for them. And the things all these archangels do just to save Eleanore, made me love them that much more. We know Ellie is hiding from people that want her powers, but we don’t know who. The answer really isn’t what I was expecting and my mouth hanging open. I am definitely curious about the development here and what this means for the other archesses to comes. I won’t spoil it, but goodness, it was an interesting surprise.  I liked that little bit and following Sameal, we get a taste of the man he is, but he is a very complex character. He adds a lot of mystery to this book.

   Now my compliant. It was explained in the book and I understand it. I like that Uriel and Ellie are in love and all. But it still makes me feel a little off and not in a fun way. The sex scene was a tad bit too much for me. Since Uriel was a vampire, he has extra powers specifically mind control. When Ellie and Uriel finally break the tension, I didn’t like it because she was partially compelled. I know this sounds weird coming from me, but if you have read this, please tell me what you thought. Is it just me or what?

    I mean I understand it is what Ellie truly wanted, from what Uriel read in her head. But since it is her first time, why not make it steamy, slow, and sweet? I guess Killough-Walden was probably going for a BDSM sort of thing, but some of that I didn’t find sexy, I found it a little scary to be honest. Maybe it is just me because BDSM is a genre I am yet to start (really need to ease me into this sort of stuff). I am not a prude, but I am still a good-old Southern girl. But I was a little disappointed with this scene and I was dying for it. Then again, after it was done, we find out Ellie may have been a virgin, but she was kinky. But seriously, why was the mind control needed? We know they want each other, why not let it happen naturally? Well, as natural as a vampire-angel hybrid and an angel can be together.

   Overall, I still enjoyed myself with this book. I love how all the plots merged together and I love knowing there will be more to come. These archangels really are to die for. Ellie was a heroine worth rooting for and Sameal is a bad boy I wouldn’t mind having around. There is so much to this story and I can’t wait for more (Azrael!!!) I just pray the sex scene in the next one is better. 


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenges*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011
Parajunkee's View Vampire Challenge 2011

4 comments:

  1. OH.MY.GOD! This sounds fantastic indeed! Yeah I love fallen angels too (except Daniel Grigori and his crew). Crap! I need to solicit some GC's this christmas, my list is getting too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Oh this is nothing like Daniel and those guys. They are all hot and they aren't annoying LOL! I think you will these guys for sure. My list is getting too long too. That is all I want for Christmas an Amazon GC, well plus the Kindle Fire LOL! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little put off by your description of the sex scene it sounds like it was one of those situations that you were just waiting for and then it was just a little ewww...I have been wanting to read this author for awhile. i bought her Game and wolf series alas they are still stashed on the kindle waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Heidi - Trust me, a lot of people were put off by the sex scene. Just didn't fit my expectations. Definitely a little ewww. But still check this out, minus the sex scene, this book was pretty incredible. The characters are amazing and like I said, Azrael and Samael stole the show. Samael is the guy you hate to love LOL! I will be looking out for that series, thanks for the heads up. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D