CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Movie Review: Immortals (2011)


Synopsis from IMDB

Eons after the Gods won their mythic struggle against the Titans, a new evil threatens the land. Mad with power, King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) has declared war against humanity. Amassing a bloodthirsty army of soldiers disfigured by his own hand, Hyperion has scorched Greece in search of the legendary Epirus Bow, a weapon of unimaginable power forged in the heavens by Ares. Only he who possesses this bow can unleash the Titans, who have been imprisoned deep within the walls of Mount Tartaros since the dawn of time and thirst for revenge. In the king's hands, the bow would rain destruction upon mankind and annihilate the Gods. But ancient law dictates the Gods must not intervene in man's conflict. They remain powerless to stop Hyperion...until a peasant named Theseus (Henry Cavill) comes forth as their only hope. Secretly chosen by Zeus, Theseus must save his people from Hyperion and his hordes...



   Finally getting some reviews done. Nonetheless, Immortals is the story of Theseus (Henry Cavill), one of Greek mythologies famous demi-god heroes. He is a very noble man, watches over and protects his land and his mother. But after his mother is killed by a very bitter and merciless man, King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke), Theseus stops at nothing to hunt him down and revenge his mother. All the while, there is more at play when the gods are involved in Theseus life because King Hyperion has plans to release Hell on Earth.

    As I said, I liked this movie, but it lost some brownie points when it didn’t flow as I thought it would. First off, if you are going to make a film about Greek mythology, don’t you think it would be a good idea to research the Greek mythology first? Doesn’t matter if this is fiction or not, these are stories people are familiar with. It is not right to just add whatever the hell you want. For instance, Theseus is a known demi-god (half human, half god) and yet that is never mentioned in the movie. In fact, the only backstory we get of Theseus’s is from one of his enemies. All he says is that Theseus is a bastard, his mom was raped by 7 different men and no one knows who his dad is. But that isn’t really true. Actually his real dad (Poseidon) was in the movie and there was no recognition at all between him and Theseus which also surprised me. I just wished they explained that in the film instead of throwing out his story the way they did.

    Actually this was a problem all round. I just wanted more in depth characters. We get a real connection with Theseus because he was relatable. He wants to fight for his mom who was his only family and fight for his village. Our main villain, King Hyperion, you feel sorry for for maybe 10 seconds and then he throws it out the window. We learn he has lost his wife and kids and blames the gods for never helping them. We have Theseus’s love interest, Phaedra (Freida Pinto), who I liked in this movie, but we don’t get much backstory on her. She has the gift to see the future and she knows where the bow is that can release the Titans on Earth, which is why King Hyperion will do anything to get the bow. There wasn’t much focus on anyone else except them and Stephen Dorff’s character, Stavros, who was such a pointless character and a real waste of Dorff’s talent. He was brought in as the “comic relief” if you will, but he wasn’t funny at all. His jokes were super dry and inappropriate. Just didn’t work for me.

   I liked the gods in this movie even though they were very indecisive about everything. I know they didn’t want to start a war on Earth, but jeez, whether you helped Theseus or not, things were going to get super ugly. This movie was not as bloody as I thought it would be until the gods showed up. Wow, that was epic and exactly what I was looking for.  I also liked the big battle at the end between them and the Titans. One problem though; you guys are gods and the only powers you have are super-strength and super-speed? What?! The fight wasn’t as big as I wanted it t be and the slo-mo CGI was a little overdone, but I didn’t hate it. My problem is, you are gods, I know you have more to show me. Let’s not forget the absence of Zeus’s (Luke Evans) lightning bolt. What gives?! Don’t you think if you are fighting your arch nemesis, the world’s most powerful weapon would come in handy? Or am I the stupid one here?

    Overall, this is a hit or miss movie. I wouldn’t blame anyone for hating it, I understand, but I still found it enjoyable. I wanted to see this film from the trailer because it looked so big and amazing. Not to mention, I am a huge Henry Cavill fan who really blew me away in this. Actually he was one of a few who really shined in this movie. Immortals was dark and gritty. I wish it were a little bigger in terms of epic storytelling, but this film looked beautiful and I love a good revenge story. As much as I liked it, there were things that this movie needed to work on. But this is at least worth watching on DVD and I would watch it again. If anything, this film is full of some pretty hot guys (and girls, but let’s focus on the men here), that is incentive enough for me.


Rating:
Thanks TalkSupe, you guys were right :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! How the heck do you do a movie review take notes in the theater? Very in depth and informative review. It sounds like it was teeming with special effects and hot guys but a bit lacking in the story. Sounds like a good rental!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I just remember what I can. Trust me, that was why I was apprehensive at first about doing them in the first place. But it really isn't as bad as I thought. The special effects were great and there were a few hot guys, not enough to battle 300, but some mentionables. The story was good, I just don't think they got all they could have out of it. And again, don't try and put your own twist on Greek mythology LOL! Thanks so much for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. High five! I'm a sucker for Greek Mythology and I was disappointed that they screwed up that part. What a waste of all those gold costumes right? Like what I said on my review "Maybe Percy Jackson still had Zeus' bolt."

    Like you, I saw it for Cavill and Luke Evans was hot too though I hated that his character was so emo on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Braine - Same here. I love Greek mythology and they really screwed around with it in this movie. LMAO! I did enjoy the costumes, especially those insane hats (if you can call them that). I did remember that, maybe Percy does still have the bolt LOL! I agree about him being a bit emo for sure. Actually for gods, they were very human which was both good and bad. Still, not a bad movie, but it definitely could have been great. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D