CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Movie Review: Puss in Boots (2011)


Synopsis from IMDB

Years before meeting Shrek and Donkey, the adorable but tricky Puss in Boots must clear his name from all charges making him a wanted fugitive. While trying to steal magic beans from the infamous criminals Jack and Jill, the hero crosses paths with his female match, Kitty Softpaws, who leads Puss to his old friend, but now enemy, Humpty Dumpty. Memories of friendship and betrayal enlarges Puss' doubt, but he eventually agrees to help the egg get the magic beans. Together, the three plan to steal the beans, get to the Giant's castle, nab the golden goose, and clear Puss' name.



    Puss in Boots is a great prequel showing us what made Puss, well…Puss (Antonio Banderas). We learn he lived life as the little guy, but showed that his size was nothing and that he can get whatever he wants. His one and only friend, Humpty Dumpty (Zach Galifianakis) has a knack for stealing and they wanted to get magic beans. But when Puss stops being a thief and turns into the town’s hero, their friendship is torn apart. Humpty than ruins Puss’s reputation as town hero and Puss is forced to leave his village. Now Humpty’s lifelong dream of finding the magic beans that could lead to the goose that hatches golden eggs, Puss decides to help him to clear his name, but still doesn’t think he can trust Humpty.

    Wow, I had such a blast with this movie. One thing I loved that they did in this film was that this was solely Puss’s story. Shrek, Donkey and any of the other characters we have grown to love don’t make any cameos in this movie and I was glad they did that. I like them all, but it is time Puss got his own spotlight. And it shined rather brightly. It was his film and no one else’s. Given that Puss has been my favorite since Shrek 2 (the best of the franchise) and this film made me love Puss even more.

    I love that they used Humpty in this film. It was a very interesting take on his story. Very creative. I love the story and the mystery of whether or not Humpty will betray his only friend or not. I loved the “love” story between Puss and Kitty Softpaws (Salma Hayek), even as animated characters, there was plenty of chemistry between them. They were adorable together; Kitty is Puss’s match and more. Actually the chemistry between all the characters was staggering. Dreamworks did a great job with the casting here. Another thing I liked that Dreamworks did again was the pop culture references. There wasn’t as many of them this time around (good call), but there were enough that you would recognize from Youtube, that really made me laugh and were very cute.

    A little problem I had, well not much of a problem for me, but for kids. I had this same issue when Shrek first came out (they were subliminal about it), but there were jokes that I don’t think were 100% appropriate for kids. There was even a Puss going on forever about how much of an amazing lover he was and I don’t know if that was needed in a kids’ movie. I mean it is still a good family film, but there will be jokes adults will laugh at instead of the kids because we get it. Maybe it was just me, I don’t know.

   Overall, this movie was loads of fun. It was funny for an hour and got pretty dramatic near the end and it worked well. There were a few things that weren’t the most original, things you have seen in many other animated movies, but this movie still stands on its own two feet. If you are like me and you were disappointed by Shrek 3 and Shrek 4 (especially 3), this film is a great spinoff and really doesn’t feel like a Shrek movie. Really good film, very entertaining and looked quite amazing. Definitely worth the ticket price.
  
  
Rating:

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I love Puss & Antonio Banderas. *squee* I can't wait to see this movie. Yeah I agree. Shrek 3 & 4 was not the best by far. Woohoo for puss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sacredmoon - I loved this movie. It really brought a smile to my face. Can't wait until you see it, it was so adorable. Shrek 3 was a total disappointment. Shrek 4 wasn't as bad, but nothing like 1 and 2. How can you resist Puss, he is so badass LOL! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D