CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, January 14, 2012

ARC Review + Book Trailer: Tempest (Tempest #1) by Julie Cross

Courtesy of Zeitghost Media and St. Martin's Press, they bring you the trailer to Tempest by Julie Cross. Tempest comes out next Tuesday and is already being buzzed about all over the place. Now as before, Zeitghost Media is going to give 25 blogs a chance to host a giveaway for this book. But while we impatiently wait, check out this great trailer (I want that song) and I also have an ARC review for you guys. So happy I actually won this. 


*********************************************

Read the first FOUR chapter here + check out the bonus short story here:

*********************************************

Author: Julie Cross
Series: Tempest
Number in Series: 1
Format:Hardcover
Pages: 352
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: January 17, 2012
Genre: Science Fiction/Young Adult/Fantasy/Romance










Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.


    I was so lucky (and surprised) to receive the ARC of Tempest by Julie Cross courtesy of Librarything in the mail. Again, being so excited about the book, my silly self didn’t bother to see what the book was about. But I can say now, I was very happy with the ending result. If you are looking for an exciting read to start off the New Year, put this at the top of your list.

     I love this storyline. Jackson is a normal college student. Well as normal as he can be, he is rich and can time travel (only for 30 minutes or a few hours backward never forward), but other than that, he is normal. He has a girlfriend named Holly that he loves more than anything, but she doesn’t know his secret. Only his super genius best friend Adam knows his secret. He is the one who helps Jackson and actually understands time travel, like I said, he is a genius. Things are going good for Jackson until one day two men break into Holly’s dorm and shoot her and out of total terror, Jackson jumps 4 years into the past and he can’t jump forward. So now he is stuck in the past and he finds out he has been lied to his entire life. And that is only the beginning.

    Jackson was a great lead character. He may have been a rich guy (well his family is), but he wasn’t snooty. He loves Holly a lot and protects her in the future and in the past. He fights for her and his best friend, Adam. I loved Adam, he helps Jackson every step of the way in this book. Without him, Jackson really wouldn’t get anywhere; he is indeed the brains behind it all. I loved Holly. I sympathized with her because she knew Jackson was hiding something, but she didn’t know what. You can tell she loved him as well. One thing I didn’t like about Jackson is that he was holding back by not revealing his secret to her. But despite that, she brought a certain lightness to this book and to Jackson. We find he has a lot of remorse over the death of his twin sister who died a few years back and that plays a big part in this book. It made me love Jackson more because along with Holly, he wanted to be near his sister and make up for things he regrets.

    I loved this book. It was hard to put down. I love that despite the secrets coming to light, Jackson never loses it. He still respects his dad even after all he finds out. I love this take on time travel; the Enemies of Time. They are the bad guys who have Jackson’s ability and they want him apart of the team. They want to change history, we don’t really know why until the ending. The scene near the end really freaked me out and added a whole other element to this story. And we aren’t given the whole story yet, of course, but that does not mean you won’t enjoy this. Even if time travel and science fiction isn’t your thing, this book is full with likeable and believable characters. I like the fact that for all intents and purposes, it wasn’t as far-fetched. The world feels tangible.

    This book was a rollercoaster ride. It had everything I could have wanted in a science fiction novel; time travel, mystery, suspense, conspiracies, tears (a lot of tears), romance, sacrifices, and many more. Tempest is a very well-written book. It isn’t even officially out yet and there is already movie buzz surrounding it, which makes sense. As some have said, this book is written like a movie and it felt that way. This was very action-packed and suspenseful; it begs to be in a film. I can’t wait. I hope they do the book justice. I won’t lie to you all though. If Hollywood trips (maybe that should say When they trip), this could easily become Jumper 2 *GAGS*. So my fingers and toes are crossed they won’t go down that route. Trust me, I will be able to tell once the movie trailer comes out. I knew Jumper would be crap from the beginning and I was right, boy was I right. Nonetheless, I absolutely recommend this book. Buy this on Tuesday because I said so. I am not kidding.


Review:




*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's 100 Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2012

2 comments:

  1. This book looks so awesome! Since I saw Zeitghost Media's announcement of the book trailer I knew that I wanted to read this book...after your amazing review I know I really have to read this book! I'm so happy that it's the first book in a series and I'll be going to purchase the book this coming Tuesday! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so picky about YA, but I thought this one looked good. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D